Speed and light weight or reliability for JOGLE wheelset...

prb007
prb007 Posts: 703
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Having a bit of a debate with myself over what wheels to take on my JOGLE trip in May.
I have had a set of Mavic Cosmic Carbones on my Planet X ti Sportive for the last 6 months and I must admit I love them - the look, the speed, the acceleration and even the sound they make, almost justifies the £800 I blew on them.

I have nagging doubts over them for a 100-mile jaunt, the length of the country (heard bad things about Scottish roads!), and am tempted to go with my trusty old 36-spoke Mavic CXP-22's, which would normally be my winter wheelset.

Just thinking that if the Carbone's give up the ghost at any point, it will be nightmare to get them repaired, though the CXP-22's feel downright sluggish after riding on the MCC's.

The only real downside of the MCC's is how they react in a cross-wind; rode the Daffodil Classic last weekend, a 45-mile hilly, windy course in Pendine, West Wales and they were a bit of a handful in strong gusts, tbh.

https://picasaweb.google.com/teddypenll ... 6952427698

I used to be indecisive, now...I'm not so sure!

Any advice gratefully receive, so too, any contributions to my JustGiving page (see sig)
If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...

Comments

• GiantMike
    GiantMike Posts: 3,139
    Sounds to me like you know the winter wheelset is the sensible plan.

By the sound of it you're doing it supported, so why not take both if you have the room.

I'm planning LEJOG later this year and I'll have a Powertap rear and an RS80 front, as well as spares for both ends just in case.

Bonne Chance
  • prb007
    prb007 Posts: 703
    Two wheelsets was my getout clause tbh!
    But if we ALL take spare wheels there'll be no room in the van
    for the journey up!

Found some pics from the daffodil classic - nice event,
    130-odd participants, good vibe, well-marshalled, will def.
    be back next year, well done to the organisers...

http://wa.theimagefile.co.uk/?skin=5960 ... &ppwd=andy

http://wa.theimagefile.co.uk/?skin=5960 ... &ppwd=andy
    If Wales was flattened out, it'd be bigger than England!
    Planet X Ti Sportive for Sportives & tours
    Orange Alpine 160 for Afan,Alps & dodging trees
    Singlespeed Planet X Kaffenback for dodging potholes
    An On-One Inbred for hard-tail shenanigans...
  • tim_wand
    tim_wand Posts: 2,552
    Personally I d ride the Mavics, for all the reasons you've stated yourself.

After 2 years of great service my PX model B's gave out and just because PX was moving shops and not shipping out I opted for some Pro Lite Commo's (£85 on E bay)
    There not especially light but spin up quick enough with Ultremo R1's on my PX carbon Pro SL and are rock solid (im 90kg)

There also handbuilt with spokes tested to be 3 x stronger than normal, So far I m gob smacked at the performance and will eventually move them across to the Kaffenbach for all my Commuting/touring and long range stuff.

Saying this though I ve never ridded a set of wheels as high end as the MCC.