Big'n'Squishy... (tyres)

blacknosugar
blacknosugar Posts: 36
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I used to think that the narrowest, highest pressure tyres were the fastest.
Since I've now read that isn't the case, and the 26 x 1's on my MTB give my dodgy wrist a hammering, I want to swap them for some high volume slicks.

(BTW a pair of lightly used Specialized All Condition Pro 2 26x1 will be going in the classified section in a bit.)

So far trying to choose between Schwalbe Big Apple and Schwalbe Kojak. Anything else worth a look, or any recommendations on either of these two?

Meanwhile, on impulse I've ordered a pair of 700c Kojaks for the single speed so we'll see how that goes...
"Always carry a firearm East of Aldgate, Watson."

Comments

• MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    Ive been using Big Apples 1.9" for a couple of years. They came with the bike but they roll so nicely I'll probably get the same again.
    They are not so fast but at cruising speed are very efficient and good over cobbles and rough bits.
    They are fairly puncture resistance (similar to Marathon std) but starting to get cut up and attracting flint shards.
    No so good on slippery mud and slushy snow. I change to knobbly/studded tyres when needed.
  • Not quite what you asked for but if you want bomb proof consider SCHWALBE Marathon XR Folding. Reduced from £45 to £20 each, thats a lot of tyre for your money.
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    schwalbe Big Apple or super Motos at 2.35. serious fun and fast.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Clank
    Clank Posts: 2,323
    Not quite what you asked for but if you want bomb proof consider SCHWALBE Marathon XR Folding. Reduced from £45 to £20 each, thats a lot of tyre for your money.

Well spotted - there will be a pair of them going on order!

(apologies for the brief hijack!)
    How would I write my own epitaph? With a crayon - I'm not allowed anything I can sharpen to a sustainable point.

Disclaimer: Opinions expressed herein are worth exactly what you paid for them.