Wiggo a Liverpool Supporter?

Gazzaputt
Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
edited March 2011 in Pro race
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 412535.stm

Goes up even further in my estimation if he is.

Comments

• rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    Londoner supporting Liverpool.... disgraceful imo.
  • dulldave
    dulldave Posts: 949
    rebs wrote:

Yeah, Londoners are meant to support Man Utd.
    Scottish and British...and a bit French
  • wicked
    wicked Posts: 844
    For future reference what is the maximum distance allowed by you between your birthplace and a football club.
    Or is it a free country and anyone can support whoever they wish, if fact if everone followed your rules Man utd would have no supporters at all!
    It’s the most beautiful sport in the world but it’s governed by ***ts who have turned it into a crock of ****.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    I believe it's a 30 mile cut off, outside that and you're just a glory seeker. Unless you're daft enough to pick a crappy team, of course.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • rebs
    rebs Posts: 891
    wicked wrote:
    For future reference what is the maximum distance allowed by you between your birthplace and a football club.
    Or is it a free country and anyone can support whoever they wish, if fact if everone followed your rules Man utd would have no supporters at all!

This I can live with. :P
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    I like Frank Skinner's rule (or it may be his dad's) from his autobiography - get a map out, find where you were born, find the nearest football club and support them.

Rob
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Ber Nard wrote:
    I like Frank Skinner's rule (or it may be his dad's) from his autobiography - get a map out, find where you were born, find the nearest football club and support them.

Rob

Wasn't Wiggo born in Belgium? Ghent Rovers it is then.
  • cajun_cyclist
    cajun_cyclist Posts: 493
    edited March 2011
    On the topic of Belgian football, I always did like Gents' logo. I think this one below is an updated version for modern time.

214.gif

jsklqe.jpg Old one, team established 1900

It will return I'm sure but Belgium has put together some very formidable international teams, I always liked watching those "Red Devils" play.

Here's there league's page at Soccerway: http://www.soccerway.com/national/belgi ... ar-season/ Standard Liege, that is one of their most prestigious clubs.

I agree, people are glory hunters but I think for a lot of people they have their favourite where they were born and then another they can follow on TV.
  • dougzz
    dougzz Posts: 1,833
    Well if he's a Liverpool fan, the lads and ladies on the Kop must have found his likening of Sky to Man U to be very popular, assuming that the intention was to say that Man U for the purposes of analogy are the best of the best. Using Man U in this context will I'm sure be thoroughly appreciated in Liverpool.
  • cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    Yeah I can see that, on the losing side more often than not, kind of living off past glories and a very iffy dress sense! :wink:
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Yes he does support Liverpool - he's tweeted from a match or two before now.
  • stagehopper
    stagehopper Posts: 1,593
    Thought he had Wigan connections - most people there and Warrington have traditionally had one of three options: Liverpool, Man Utd or Rugby League.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    He used to support Arsenal but got fed up by the lack of British players... read that in an interview.
  • Interesting Divergent Views on Other games.

Lawro picks Blackpool 0 Chelsea 3, Wiggins picks a 2-2 draw. Bit of a shock pick as well.
    Wiggins picks 3-0 Arsenal over Sunderland,
    Wiggins picks 0-0 Fulham Blackburn while Lawro is 2-0.

Wiggins could be correct but overall, I don't think he's going to be high on the celebrity table.
  • Wolves/Spurs, the Referee Mark Halsey is wearing a livestrong bracelet it appears to me, it seemed clear to see when he motioned for the penalty to be taken minutes ago. If someone has it on video, you might look to see if that is so.

http://www.soccerway.com/matches/2011/0 ... ub/944131/

Yeh, Wiggins was close on the Liverpool score, okay, 3-1 but was close to 5-0, just my opinion, that's one of the most exciting rivarlies in all sport, forget whether someone can claim to be a fan, a real fan of either club, it's a spectacle often.
  • Garz
    Garz Posts: 1,155
    dulldave wrote:
    rebs wrote:

Yeah, Londoners are meant to support Man Utd.

:lol:
  • thamacdaddy
    thamacdaddy Posts: 590
    wicked wrote:

Sorry to spoil the party but just so you know this is a gross exhaggeration. Manchester (as a resident and a utd fan born and bred here) is split by red or blue, traditionally the salford side being red and the far north and closer to the city southern districts being blue (rich southern districts of manc are red).

Utd still pack out a 70k+ ground and have one of the hardest ticket allocation systems around. My friend who lived in and supported chelsea could get up to four tickets with his membership. I can only even apply for one on my membership and it's part of a lottery then to get them. To be honest over the last few seasons you see more going on general sale closer to the games (50 quid price tag) and if you apply you generally are successful.

More on topic when I learnt Wiggo was a big Liverpool fan I had to shelve the religious views ;)
  • Found this picture: Andrey-Arshavin-and-Mark-Halsey-Lg.jpg

While on the subject of football, it looks like a Livestrong ban does it not?

I may cross post this, why would he be wearing it? He in fact had cancer??

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ancer.html

Made some calls thought by many that did no favours for the Wolves team.