New bike

ianeverton
ianeverton Posts: 231
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi all

I am thinking of buying a new stead and would like some opinions please, it will be a frameset I will be buying as i have all the kit already. I know that I will have to test ride the bike but just wanted peoples opinions that have owned, or does own one of the below.

My options are:

Look 695 (or another top end Look frameset 586, 596 etc)

Colnago C59 Italia, M10 or EPQ

If I am honest I am edging towards the Look but not sure why.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers,
Ian

Comments

• EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Not fortunate enough to own either.

Tough between the Look and C59. I don't think you can go wrong really.

If you go C59 then traditional geo and please please please not the horrible fluoro orange or green paint jobs! (that's just my opinion though :wink:)
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    At this level, test ride both to see which one is best for you.

The C59 is a great frame, super stiff and shoots you forward with every pedal stroke, but that's just my opinion.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    I would suggest that if you are buying either of those frames you know what you are doing with your money and it would be impossible to 'go wrong', as it were.

As for those that suggest a 'test ride', I can't think of much of a reason why you would want to do a test ride unless you can get hold of a bike that is the right size for you. Test riding quite usually involves the riding of a bike that is the wrong size for you, and this can be counter-productive, rather than productive.

I mean, are you expecting a C59 to have a whippy back end or a Look 695 to flex in the bottom bracket area when you are out of the saddle?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    At this price level i'd expect it to fit perfectly. Take everything into account. Study the geo charts of your current bike and the ones you're looking to buy. Take as many measurements as possible. Think about things like spacers, where your saddle is on the rails, seatpost setback - everything. Not just tube lengths.