LEJOG - book and pics from my End to End

Mingsta
Mingsta Posts: 24
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
Finally got round to putting together a collection of blogs and photo's from our End to End last year. I don't think we broke any records with our leisurely 14 days ride time, but it was a wonderful adventure and the fun and the banter was top notch. I hope our book has captured a little of that essence!

http://www.blurb.com/books/2018184

The preview comes up small at first, but there's a view fullscreen button on the bottom right or you can zoom in to see full detail via the browser.

Comments

• Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Cool.

I was viewing in the 'slow connection' mode because fullscreen was just showing a blank, white screen. Much of the text was illegible. :(

It looks like you had a blast, though.

I hadn't realised that such sites were available; I'd have liked to do one of my Canada tour. Have you had one printed out? Some of the pics looked too saturated for cmyk.
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill
  • lastant
    lastant Posts: 526
    Looks awesome, very well done. Expensive to buy though...doubt you'll be handing many out as freebies / presents!

I've just compiled mine on lulu.com - an 80-page effort, colour version at 'Royal' size (effectively 6" x 9") I've kept private but can buy for £12.12 a copy and a black and white version that I've purchased their GlobalREACH distribution package for so that it'll be available for bookstores to order and appear on Amazon...that's priced at £4.99 per copy 'thanks' to their crazy royalty set-up, but I can pick up at £2.50ish if I want to.

Link to lulu (still waiting for Amazon!): http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/o ... f/center/2

Glad I did it though, always wanted my own book and what better reason than after a trip like that?!
    One Man and LEJOG : End-to-End on Two Wheels in Two Weeks (Buy the book; or Kindle it!)
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Intersting and entertaining read.

Hope to do this myself in the next couple of years
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • Mingsta
    Crapaud wrote:
    I hadn't realised that such sites were available; I'd have liked to do one of my Canada tour. Have you had one printed out? Some of the pics looked too saturated for cmyk.

I went travelling in the 2nd half of 2010 and have already printed a book on this:

http://www.blurb.com/my/book/detail/1931111

I'm not too au fait with color printing, but blurb books seem to be fine with saturated images. The only think to watch for is that the photo's tend to come out a bit dark, so everyone on the chat forums suggests calibrating the monitor to compensate.

I've heard that bob books are even better quality, but they're also more expensive and limited to 80 pages per book.
  • Mingsta
    lastant wrote:
    Looks awesome, very well done. Expensive to buy though...doubt you'll be handing many out as freebies / presents!

I've just compiled mine on lulu.com - an 80-page effort, colour version at 'Royal' size (effectively 6" x 9") I've kept private but can buy for £12.12 a copy and a black and white version that I've purchased their GlobalREACH distribution package for so that it'll be available for bookstores to order and appear on Amazon...that's priced at £4.99 per copy 'thanks' to their crazy royalty set-up, but I can pick up at £2.50ish if I want to.

Link to lulu (still waiting for Amazon!): http://www.lulu.com/product/paperback/o ... f/center/2

Glad I did it though, always wanted my own book and what better reason than after a trip like that?!

Thanks mate!

I read the first 7 pages of your book, good stuff!!!

Did you do it solo?
  • Crapaud
    Crapaud Posts: 2,483
    Mingsta wrote:
    I'm not too au fait with color printing, but blurb books seem to be fine with saturated images. The only think to watch for is that the photo's tend to come out a bit dark, so everyone on the chat forums suggests calibrating the monitor to compensate.
    Blurb have their own ICC colour profilewhich you can download and tag your pics with. This'll give you a better idea of what they'll look like when they're printed. It'll depend on what editing softwear you're using and whether it supports profiles. Your monitor would have to be calibrated as well.

Still, cool pics are cool (as they say on the interwebs).
    A fanatic is one who can’t change his mind and won’t change the subject - Churchill