New guy doing up an oldish bike

New will
New will Posts: 14
edited March 2011 in MTB beginners
i'm a new to doing up bikes, i have a GT agressor frame that i would like to do a bit of work on as kind of a project and some fun in the summer. can i change the bottom bracket and crankset to an up to date decent one?
Any advice will be well received as i do not knoiw much about this stuff.
Cheers

Comments

• Deputy Dawg
    Deputy Dawg Posts: 428
    Yes no problem. The frame might need facing though if you want the BB to last.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • New will
    ok cool, i have seen on websites that bike shops can do that for me for fairly small fee. can i change from a cartridge bottom bracket to an external bottom bracket do you know??

Thanks
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    yes nothing has changed much in the bike world.

the standards used to make your frame are still valid.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • New will
    good stuff, thanks for that. so i will buy an external bottom bracket online, there is a million to choose from though!!!! also i am aiming to put a new cassette and rear derailiure. i have been looking at shimano XTs. do these fit any bike also? as i am a little worried about maybe purchasing new stuff if it won't fit??

Cheers
  • Hairylegs66
    Hairylegs66 Posts: 103
    I think you are right to be cautious about buying stuff online that may not be compatible with what you already have to work with. Do you have a local bike shop that has a decent reputation near you? If they are worth their salt then they should be able to advise you on what would work and what wouldn't. As nicklouse has said nothing much has changed that much in the bike world but it could be an expensive way to find out!
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    New will wrote:
    good stuff, thanks for that. so i will buy an external bottom bracket online, there is a million to choose from though!!!! also i am aiming to put a new cassette and rear derailiure. i have been looking at shimano XTs. do these fit any bike also? as i am a little worried about maybe purchasing new stuff if it won't fit??

Cheers

well as the BB comes with the cranks you are rather limited. and the rest will if you get the right version.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Make sure you know the size of your bb too for fitting, but fitting an external Shimano bb is pretty easy with the right tools. Just torque it up tight.
    Take it to the bike shop to see if it needs facing, but chances are if it's not a brand new frame it's already been faced before when the old bb was put in.