4th ride, 30 miles, 13yrs old

HAllez!!
HAllez!! Posts: 13
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hey, did my fourth ride on monday. Me and my dad did 30.26 miles at an average of 14 mph.next ride i'm aiming for 35 miles maybe even more...depends how I feel :)

Thanks dad :D

HAllez!!

Comments

• cornerblock
    cornerblock Posts: 3,228
    That's great. You will soon be doing your 50. Sounds like you are really enjoying it.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Dude ... that is excellent.
  • HAllez!!
    HAllez!! Posts: 13
    cool thanks guys :D
  • skyd0g
    skyd0g Posts: 2,540
    make sure you eat & drink when you're riding (about every 20 mins), you'll have a 50 under your belt in no time. :D
    Cycling weakly
  • rc856
    rc856 Posts: 1,144
    Good stuff :D
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Put some thought in to how your bike is set up. Take on-board the opinions of your Dad and others. There are also some good internet guides that will help you to get the correct saddle height and position, etc. Cycling is easier with a bike that is set-up well.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Well done, you're lucky to have such a good dad :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Allez HAllez!
  • MikeWW
    MikeWW Posts: 723
    Good effort
    Just bear in mind that you want to be thinking about speed more than distance at your age
    If you start racing they are going to be 20-30 minute races
    The endurance will come naturally-speed you need to work on
  • schweiz
    schweiz Posts: 1,644
    edited March 2011
    HAllez,

Good to see you're catching the bug.

Without coming over all 'When I were a lad...', why don't you go out on your own? I remember cycling from Oldham to Holmfirth and back on my own at about your age and at 15 I was cycling into Manchester City Centre to do my Saturday/Holiday job.

Keep learning off your dad and going out with him but I hope you soon have the chance to fly free!
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Without coming over all 'When I were a lad...', why don't you go out on your own?

I did a lot of that around your age, explored lots of nice country lanes and had a great time. These days you even have the luxury of a mobile phone to call someone if you have any problems. At the weekend my mother used to make me sandwiches and I'd be off for most of the day. Ah to be young again......

Don't worry too much about your average speeds and so forth, just enjoy yourself :-)
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • EAT...FOOD INS IMPORTANT
  • fossyant
    fossyant Posts: 2,549
    Well done. Do increase in little increments - runners say 10% - cyclists can do a little more as it's non impact.

You'll soon be battering your dad.

I remember seeing a dad and son (roadies) out last year - the lad couldn't have been more than 12 and his dad took him up Blaze Hill (Peak District) as I was coming down it. Cruel dad.
  • pilot_pete
    pilot_pete Posts: 2,120
    HAllez dad here. He did Mow Cop on his third ride.....! I guess that makes me real cruel?! Not the killer mile just yet, but bloody impressive nonetheless.... he'll soon be blowing me away....I can tell I'm already in his sights.....

Once he's got the road sense and anticipation of hazards sorted he'll be off by himself, plus of course the ability to fix his own punctures! We're just building his base level of cycling fitness at the moment, speed will come soon, as will some serious hills; an area that I think he is going to excel at...

HAllez!!

PP