Does anybody on here use Spotify?

andy46
andy46 Posts: 1,666
edited March 2011 in The hub
Hi guys

As the title says, I was just wondering if people on here use this as i'm thinking of downloading it to help make sessions on the turbo trainer less mind numbing.

I just want to know if it is a good music site and not full of viruses and other stuff that could harm my computer.

It's been mentioned on the gadget show over the past few shows but i'd like to know what you good people make of it.

Thanks.

Andy :)
2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport

Comments

• I use it... tis good, but I don't understand the radio bit lol!

Great to see if you want to "buy" full albums :)
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    it is useful.

and as it is a business it is not full of Viruses...
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    I love it. Spotify Premium is the most money I've spent on music for years, and I'm glad to.
  • how much is it?
  • whyamihere
    whyamihere Posts: 7,700
    Tenner a month for Premium. There's an intermediate level for a fiver a month, but I can't remember what you get for that.
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    I use the free version of Spotify and I generally ignore the adverts. I find it great for checking out the support acts for gigs, just to see if they're any good or if I should stay in the bar :P
  • I love torrents, and being able to download movies direct to computer with them!

Trust me, a good collection of MTB videos helps the turbo sessions go quicker!
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    I used Spotify free for a while, got bored of it quite quickly.

Then, after having not used it for about a year, I signed up for Premium.

I can quite honestly say that it's changed the way that I listen to and discover music :)

I have it on my work laptop/MBP/iphone, and they are all synched. So when I add a track I've found at work, it's added to my other devices too.

You can store all your tracks offline, share playlists with all your mates who have Spotify (I love going through people's playlists and finding new stuff).

But best of all is the "related artist" feature.

Find and artist you like, go into "related artist" and then go through the suggestions one by one, checking out their tracks/albums, adding the good ones as you go through. It's so easy to listen to 50 new artists in an hour!

I have found some of my favourite artists/tracks this way, and some of them are so obscure that I would never have found them otherwise.

Get it, it's the price of 3 pints a month (two if you live in London) :)
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    so do you pay a tenner a month and then you can download as much as you like?
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    nope no downloads. just streaming. but you can buy the tracks as well.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • toby_winkler
    toby_winkler Posts: 1,298
    And if you have premium you can have it on your iphone etc, and use it offline, so it is pretty much like having the songs downloaded as you can listen to them anywhere.

I've used the free one for a couple of years now and love it, if I had an iPhone or android device I would seriously consider buying the premium version.
  • andy46
    looks like i'll be downloading it then :D

i'll just get the free version first to see how it goes.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• wheezee
    wheezee Posts: 461
    You won't regret it.

You may find that £5 a month is worth it for removing the ads.
  • toby_winkler
    So what exactly is the difference between the £5 a month one and the £10 a month premium one? I thought there was only the £10 a month one, well that is the only one I have heard of anyway.
  • Iv gotta agree with Toby on that if you have an iPhone or iPod touch it is quality. I used the free version for a while and when I was going snowboarding for a week I decided to go for premium to save the playlists to my phone.

Well worth it. And no viruses or anything it's all legitimate. And when you get bored of the current tracks, find some wifi and sync up some new tracks.

I use it more than the iPod on my iPhone.
  • The £5 a month version doesn't let you sync online playlists as far I know
  • wheezee
    £5 gets rid of the ads mostly. No high quality streaming, or iPhone use.

(I think)
  • toby_winkler
    Hmmm the ads dont really bother me to be honest, think I can put up with the ads and have an extra £5 in my pocket.
  • andy46
    Hmmm the ads dont really bother me to be honest, think I can put up with the ads and have an extra £5 in my pocket.

same here, plus i've got no i-phone or i'pad :( maybe one day i'll get one, then it would be worth going premium.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• wheezee

Timothy Spall and those British Gas commercials drive me round the twist.

I'm still too tight to shell out and make them go away, though.
  • toby_winkler
    wheezee wrote:

Timothy Spall and those British Gas commercials drive me round the twist.

I'm still too tight to shell out and make them go away, though.

Some of them do make me laugh, especially the one about Chlamydia and Northmaptons teenagers. I only find this funny though because I am in my late teens and have lived in Northampton my whole life.

The rest can be annoying though, but like you said im far too tight to shell out to get rid of them, especially seen as I dont have an iPhone etc...
  • u05harrisb
    u05harrisb Posts: 531
    BRILLIANT!!! i subscribe to the "better" version which has no ads and is a better quality. its awsome! even the free ones great if you can put up with the adverts, just check that your download amount is okay with it. we have 50GB per month so im fine but our usage went up loads when we started using it alot. :)
  • Rushie
    Rushie Posts: 115
    It really is very good indeed. I started with the free version, got sick of the ads, signed up to the fiver-a-month version and haven't looked back. The audio quality's not great (albeit no worse than iTunes) but perfectly fine for a turbo sesh or on in the background while you're cooking or whatever.
  • yoohoo999
    yoohoo999 Posts: 940
    You really ought to get the £10 per month one, it allows you to store all your playlists offline on multiple devices, so it can completely replace itunes etc.

It's a bit useless composing loads of amazing playlists and then not being able to listen to them because you don't have 3G, or ideally wifi.
  • joshtp
    joshtp Posts: 3,966
    Love it... have premium (£10) so get it on my phone too.... genuinely awesome.... I'm more than happy to pay £10 and get all the music I want... better than buying 1 or 2 albums a month...

Had free for ages too... very very good.

"unlimited" is only £5 - its just advert free.. you dont get the phone use, higher quality and other stuff of premium.
    I like bikes and stuff
  • andy46
    i've had spotify for a couple of days now and i'm really impressed so far :D

i've only got the free version at the minute, i'll see how i go before forking out on the other versions.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    I love torrents, and being able to download movies direct to computer with them!
    WOW, you're awsome. It's just great that you get things for free, and don't support the creators. AMAZING.
  • andy46
    does anyone know which leads i would need to connect my laptop to my hifi so i could listen to Spotify through decent speakers, or if this is even possible?

someone at work said you can do this through the headphone sockets, though i'm not convinced. it just doesn't sound that simple.
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

• Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    andy46 wrote:
    does anyone know which leads i would need to connect my laptop to my hifi so i could listen to Spotify through decent speakers, or if this is even possible?

someone at work said you can do this through the headphone sockets, though i'm not convinced. it just doesn't sound that simple.
    Depends entirely upon your hifi. A lot of them have (aux) inputs on RCAs (phono). If that's the case, then all you need is a minijack from the headphone out (or line out if you have one) to the RCAs on the hifi.
    Almost every single laptop I've seen automatically switches between line out and headphones automagically. In fact so few don't do it as to make the prospect of it not working incredibly slim.
  • andy46
    i'm not really clued up on hifi's etc... but it does have an aux function on the remote. it also has some red and white aux sockets on the rear of the unit.

the hifi is a Denon RCD-M33 the laptop is a HP G61, sorry if i'm a bit vague :?
    2019 Ribble CGR SL