Card Fraud - Again

2»

Comments

• on the road
    on the road Posts: 5,631
    If you're shopping at Wiggle then you have the option to use Worldpay instead.
  • nwallace
    nwallace Posts: 1,465
    tx14 wrote:
    there are many stages that could have gone wrong, just saying it's premature to place the blame.

Paypal and Worldpay are automated payment systems though.
    So removed a lot of the many stages to just being the communication between your PC and the server and someone hacking the server who conveniently has the decryption keys.

Really the only downside of them is that if the company you are buying from goes tits up then you aren't covered by the Consumer Credit Act as your payment transaction is with EBay/RBS.

Got a call this morning, Did you put £10 on a phone this morning. Yes, Yes I did.
    A tad annoying but loads of small transactions are one of the easiest ways to chec ka card is ok before going for the big whammy.
    Do Nellyphants count?

Commuter: FCN 9
    Cheapo Roadie: FCN 5
    Off Road: FCN 11

+1 when I don't get round to shaving for x days
  • em_kay
    em_kay Posts: 2
    looks like similar problems being reported over in the MTB section

http://www.bikeradar.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=12762610
  • Stellite
    Stellite Posts: 544
    I had my card done twice last year. I only use for online purchases.

I had a letter to sign from the bank the other day to say the dodgy purchases were not me, and attached was the sales receipt for 2 Wiis, and also the tracking reference to the person it was dispatched to (in London).

So i now have the clowns postcode! Think id better let the "visit" to the Police. Looks like they are treating this seriously and have closed down on the suspect.
  • Looks like chain reaction's has screwed mine up... They must have someone on the inside doing this if it happens regularly?

Halifax advised me chain reaction have been compromised and someone tried to order £300 worth of polo shirts with my card lol...
  • wriggle
    wriggle Posts: 21
    I've had 2 separate fraud cases this year, both occurred within a week of an online transaction at CRC.

Didn't make the connection at first - I do shop on t'internet quite a bit, so didn't twig who it was when the first fraud happened - but the second card to get done was brand new and the CRC purchase was its first (and only) transaction.

Luckily the cards were stopped straight away. Unluckily, on the first occasion the bank didn't trouble to tell me and I got stuck in Tesco's with a trolley full of shopping I had no way of paying for :oops:

I've not had any problems with wiggle. Yet. Touch wood.

I'll only use CRC with Paypal now. I'm not intending to criticize them - however hard an organization tries, it's a real fight to prevent fraud in large-scale operations involving high volumes of cash/card transactions - but I think they would benefit from reassessing some of their process controls.
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    I've been shopping online for years and never had any problems. A lot comes down to one's own personal security, and whilst I'm not saying 'zomg ur security sux lolz', it is surprising how many people run without a firewall, a anti virus, and spyware detectors. I've got friends who shop online who had more viruses on their PCs than I thought was possible. Of course I could still have the details stolen, shit happens, but simple steps to secure your browser such as NoScript and other similar things (which I won't list since I'll get told off *hugs admin* ) you'll likely have less problems.

Nothing's secure though, I've clicked links that claimed to be something else and ended up being bumloved by trojans. Paypal is very good, but again it's not 100% secure, nothing is. Set up a back up account like someone else suggested, and transfer your required funds to that. Stops impulse buying too.

As it stands I'm running a hardware firewall along side Windows' own firewall, Avast! Anti Virus, Adaware which has improved a lot, along with add ons for Firefox. Be paranoid, they are out to get you!
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    Send a cheque.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Bunneh
    Bunneh Posts: 1,329
    Don't be silly, people don't use cheques any more! Actually speaking of which I don't even know where my cheque book is these days, everything's card. Yeah, cheque is safer though.

A friend of mine left her card in Morrisons and some scrotes found it, then used it to buy crap at B&M Bargains! Since they didn't, at the time, need a pin number they just signed for everything.
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    I have just had 2 x £15, O2 top ups charged to my card, this card is only used for online retail and the previous purchase was for new tyres at one of the big online cycle stores.....
    I caught it after the 1st charge appeared and the bank is happy to refund the payments to me.
  • mmuk
    mmuk Posts: 398
    I 've just had 2 O2 top ups as well - my bank said they were very common - luckily caught it same day. Interesting, as mine was just after a purchase from CRC as well.

MM
  • zanes
    zanes Posts: 563
    Using Paypal, I;m not sure how CRCs online credit card works...

Is there "someone at the warehouse" with a pin terminal doing "cardholder not present" transactions, or is it handled by someone like worldpay?
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Bunneh wrote:
    I've been shopping online for years and never had any problems. A lot comes down to one's own personal security, and whilst I'm not saying 'zomg ur security sux lolz', it is surprising how many people run without a firewall, a anti virus, and spyware detectors. I've got friends who shop online who had more viruses on their PCs than I thought was possible. Of course I could still have the details stolen, shoot happens, but simple steps to secure your browser such as NoScript and other similar things (which I won't list since I'll get told off *hugs admin* ) you'll likely have less problems.

Nothing's secure though, I've clicked links that claimed to be something else and ended up being bumloved by trojans. Paypal is very good, but again it's not 100% secure, nothing is. Set up a back up account like someone else suggested, and transfer your required funds to that. Stops impulse buying too.

As it stands I'm running a hardware firewall along side Windows' own firewall, Avast! Anti Virus, Adaware which has improved a lot, along with add ons for Firefox. Be paranoid, they are out to get you!

Not referring to me are you until a certain gent sorted my pc and removed all 168 trojans...? :oops:

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Mmmm just made 2 small purchases at both wiggle and crc within the last 7 days. Checked bank account this lunchtime and so far so good, nothing dodgy to report. My bank have been excellent in the past with keeping an eye on my spending habits as ive had a few attemped frauds before which the bank instantly picked up on but i will be checking my account everyday for the next week or so.
  • Stellite
    Watch out for small Tesco Direct purchases too. Thats what happened to me. The bank said they are watching for small amounts as the twunts check the cards are operational this way, and if they work, they order the big stuff.
  • NWLondoner wrote:
    I now only ever use Paypal when buying from Wiggle and Chain Reaction and since doing so NOT had any credit fraud issues.

Yep, good idea. I often see the PayPal option & don't use it for some reason.
    Will do from now on though. I had someone try to spend nearly £700 on clothes & fail. They then succeeded in spending ove a hundred with a certain dodgy airline. Must have liked to steal but then felt bad & decided to buy the least pleasurable fight...

Bank caught within an hour!
  • porker33
    porker33 Posts: 636
    Assuming the possibility or even probability that our cards have been "borrowed" after purchasing cycle parts online, has anyone mentioned this to the retailers...or is it a reasonable assumption, they view these message boards?
  • blobbo
    blobbo Posts: 16
    As I started this thread, thought it worth an update.

The full story can be found here :

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/t ... ity-issues

But to summarise a sometimes scary, sometimes hilarious story .

Chain Reaction Cycles have obviously had some klind of security breach, they are aware of it, and have posted on the above forum. Sounds very like they are talking through clenched teeth. A numpty from the the company alledgedly providing eCommerce to CRC, has put up a hilarious post.

Bottom line is, if you have used CRC in the last couple of weeks, and paid by Credit or Debit Card, by now you will either have had a call from your Card Provider, or shortly will. You must check your statements, it is highly likely that fraud has been attempted.

Paypal has been fine
  • Stellite
    Reading the Singletrack forum entries, which there seems to be hundreds, this appears to be a multi million pound fraud. It looks like im the only one to have received anything on paper from a bank re a police investigation.

I actually have the clowns postcode!