Where do you take a gal for a second date?

disquieting_museeuws
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
No lewd answers please!

Since this place seems to have several experts on building relationships, perhaps you could give me some advice :D

My new friend refuses to tell me what she wants to do this weekend (a woman's prerogative I guess). We don't know each other much having only had a coffee together - should we go for a quiet meal to get to know each other a bit more? On the other hand she's keen on local music and there are a few local pub gigs in her town (as there are nice restaurants as well), would she prefer that, I wonder?

She's going to a concert tonight, and is also going (or has been) to the cinema recently so didn't seem keen on that.

I feel like I'm being tested a bit, perhaps I'm over-thinking the whole thing :oops:

Comments

• spinndrift
    spinndrift Posts: 185
    LBS, meal and then a gig - worked for me 14 years ago.
    Cheers

Andy
    Cyclist, Massage Therapist & Ice Cream Genius
    Andrew Creer Massage
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    LBS is essential. Start as you mean to go on.

-Spider-
  • TuckerUK
    TuckerUK Posts: 369
    I like to cook her a meal indoors. But bear in mind I have only ever dated people I already knew something about (and they me), so the trust/safety aspect wasn't an issue.
    "Coming through..."
  • Smokin Joe
    Smokin Joe Posts: 2,706
    Up the ar$e.

*BTW, what does "lewd" mean?"
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    Smokin Joe wrote:
    Up the ar$e.

*BTW, what does "lewd" mean?"

:roll:

Clearly you take her from behind first. Lewd is a small village up north.
  • TuckerUK wrote:
    I like to cook her a meal indoors. But bear in mind I have only ever dated people I already knew something about (and they me), so the trust/safety aspect wasn't an issue.

Yes, would rather be out in public out of respect as much as anything (although the restraining orders have run out and I've paid my debts to society) :)
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    No lewd answers please!

Since this place seems to have several experts on building relationships, perhaps you could give me some advice :D

My new friend refuses to tell me what she wants to do this weekend (a woman's prerogative I guess). We don't know each other much having only had a coffee together - should we go for a quiet meal to get to know each other a bit more? On the other hand she's keen on local music and there are a few local pub gigs in her town (as there are nice restaurants as well), would she prefer that, I wonder?

She's going to a concert tonight, and is also going (or has been) to the cinema recently so didn't seem keen on that.

I feel like I'm being tested a bit, perhaps I'm over-thinking the whole thing :oops:

Don't over complicate it is my advice. She's already agreed to a second date after all. As you know she likes music I'd go for that. Quiet drink early doors, listen to the band and whatever you both decide after.

PS. If you're another one taking the 'dog (tm) out, don't forget she likes "extra meat"
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • Aggieboy wrote:

Don't over complicate it is my advice. She's already agreed to a second date after all. As you know she likes music I'd go for that. Quiet drink early doors, listen to the band and whatever you both decide after.

PS. If you're another one taking the 'dog (tm) out, don't forget she likes "extra meat"

Thanks for your thoughts. The other lady is well OOML, I'm sure!
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    PS. If you're another one taking the 'dog (tm) out, don't forget she likes "extra meat"[/quote]

second date?

trip to the clinic?

love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • Slack
    Slack Posts: 326
    What on earth is 'LBS'?

Informal dinner somewhere not too posh, but certainly not grungy. Try make it near one of the gig locations, so if it's going well, you can go on afterwards.

Most importantly though, do what you would want to do. If that doesn't work for her, then you'll find out if there is any potential for some sort of relationship.
    Plymouthsteve for councillor!!
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Anywhere that my wife, or any of her friends, won't see us.
  • Ginjafro
    Ginjafro Posts: 572
    Thank God your not having relationship problems and daft enough to ask for our advice....
    Seriously though start at the LBS before second base.
    Giant XTC Pro-Carbon
    Cove Hustler
    Planet X Pro-Carbon
  • Slack wrote:
    What on earth is 'LBS'?

Informal dinner somewhere not too posh, but certainly not grungy. Try make it near one of the gig locations, so if it's going well, you can go on afterwards.

Most importantly though, do what you would want to do. If that doesn't work for her, then you'll find out if there is any potential for some sort of relationship.

'Local Bike Shop'. She does have a bike, bless her.

Good idea, keep the options open. She told me she doesn't like tripe, perhaps that was a clue!
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    I disagree on the gig thing, way too easy to go wildly off the rails if she hates it and if it isn't something you enjoy then you're misrepresenting yourself.

She's given you the choice explicitly, so don't go outside your comfort zone in an effort to please her, she probably wants to find out a bit more about your passions. I'd go out for dinner somewhere quiet, maybe with live music, because even if it's a disaster then you can laugh about the bad food and awful music.

After dinner do something that you want to do (not the lbs, although that'd be good for a romantic candlelight dinner :twisted: ) maybe an art gallery or some sort of adventure activity. Something that isn't necessarily that familiar to her but you can be knowledgeable,and hopefully she'll come to enjoy.

That said, this is just my 2p, and obviously you need to play it according to the sort of person she seems to be.
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    PS. If you're another one taking the 'dog (tm) out, don't forget she likes "extra meat"[/quote]

second date?

trip to the clinic?

love n hugs

DD

"Not quite got the hang of ths quoting lark pet have you?"
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    edited March 2011
    LBS might not be her thing. Remember a friend of mine taking his wife to the local drum shop (he and I play drums) and she was bored in 1 min. Anyway, if you can cook then that's good - something nice a roast dinner or if you have to,go out a decent Indian meal? Look out for special offers esp in a city. Manchester has places like Tampopo and Wasabi which if you girl hasn't had asian or japanese food are great esp. as neither are expensive. Gigs are good if you both like the music.
    M.Rushton
  • I disagree on the gig thing, way too easy to go wildly off the rails if she hates it and if it isn't something you enjoy then you're misrepresenting yourself.
    +1 Don't do the gig, that's what she would do if she was choosing, do something you would like to do. Ride whenever is right, the gig is too easy to go wrong.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    touche aggie!!

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • I disagree on the gig thing, way too easy to go wildly off the rails if she hates it and if it isn't something you enjoy then you're misrepresenting yourself.
    +1 Don't do the gig, that's what she would do if she was choosing, do something you would like to do. Ride whenever is right, the gig is too easy to go wrong.

Hmm, interesting - a loud gig can make communication stressful as well, I think.

We have loads of interests in common (including the cultural stuff recognised by 'Ride'), I just hope we get to do some of them together. Part of the point of 'dating' her is to find someone I really like after a string of more casual liaisons.
  • mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    dont take ANY notice of ANYTHING ANYONE says on here.(except for me of course :? )

for every person that says left theres another saying right. do what feels right. do something nice but dont go over the top. desperation is not attractive(not that im saying your desperate :oops: )

good luck(and thank god i dont have to do the dating thing)
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • mattshrops wrote:
    dont take ANY notice of ANYTHING ANYONE says on here.(except for me of course :? )

for every person that says left theres another saying right. do what feels right. do something nice but dont go over the top. desperation is not attractive(not that im saying your desperate :oops: )

good luck(and thank god i dont have to do the dating thing)

HaHa, yes, I take your point of course (or do I?). The fact that our first meeting went about x100 better than I hoped means that we'll probably sort ourselves out whatever we decide to do :)