my commuter bike, is too small?

mudcow007
mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
as i mentioned in a previous thread i spent all my lunch time in a LBS with my dad who is buying a Tri cross.

i had ridden to the LBS, when i was in there one of the guys who work in the shop said "how do you ride that! its tiny" he was talking about my bike. its a Trek hardtail with a 14" frame. he said your seat should really only need to be raised up about 3- 4" anything over that your bike is way to small, my seat post is probably 6"+ easy.

im 6ft 1 by that way

an that why he reckons i had the issues with my lower back

any thoughs?
Keeping it classy since '83

Comments

• Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    I'm 5'7" and ride a 17" frame size. I'd say you should be riding at least a 19" frame. I'd also say he's bang on the money as to why you've got lower back problems. You must ride that thing in an almost TT position.
  • solsurf
    solsurf Posts: 489
    you are joking arn't you :lol:
  • Tonymufc
    Tonymufc Posts: 1,016
    Maybe I've missed the joke. :oops:
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    yeah i totally understand im on the wrong size frame to be honest. im only using the bike as i bought it for my mrs (who is 5ft odd) an she doesnt like the colour!! so i ended up with it

suppose it does mean one good thing....i get to go bike shopping!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I would say a 14" is too small at your height indeed, although wouldn't hold with the 4-6" of seatpost 'assumption' (why are seatposts available with much more potential that that then!)

I ride a 16" MTB (5'10" but short in the leg) for nimbleness and my commuter is a 19" frame.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    having had a look on google images of what the 3700 is like, I'd say sell the trek and put that towards a new one

let us know your budget, what you intend to do with it (commuting only or a bit of mountain biking as well?) and we'll suggest stuff
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight