Goddamn rats!

dot1
dot1 Posts: 538
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Got some rats over in the garage apparently. They have eaten a massive hole in my old camelbak but it was on it's way out and originally thought the hole was just wear and tear. Then they ate my new Camelbak! They also nibbled the top of a brand new superstar grip which I was livid about. Then found this today:
185688_10150096319452541_509997540_6719198_7954098_n.jpg

This WAS an old DMR grip on a spare set of handlebars so I'm not bothered. They've also munched on my road bikes grips which now look similar to the pic above! Also not too bothered about it as I don't use it anymore. Other than grips and camelbak's, they haven't touched anything else (I think). All my spare tyres, innertubes, seats are all fine though which I don't understand! I now need to rat-proof all my bike stuff! Doh!
Trek Remedy 7 2009
viewtopic.php?t=12634629

Boardman Pro Singlespeed - Sold
viewtopic.php?t=12752297&highlight=

Giant Defy 5 2012

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Charles. Get the rifle...

Jeez, that is pretty bad! Once saw what I thought was a cat on a towpath. Got closer and it was a huge rat!
  • Nasty, lucky the car was not in there or they'd have the wiring and you don't want that either!
  • VWsurfbum
    VWsurfbum Posts: 7,881
    Put rat poison in your camel packs that will stop them!

Oh hang on :roll:
    Kazza the Tranny
    Now for sale Fatty
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    Definitely an air rifle, its good target practise too. It also seems to bring out that primeval killing instinct, you just can't give up till its dead.
  • V5ade
    V5ade Posts: 192
    Nasty, lucky the car was not in there or they'd have the wiring and you don't want that either!
    +1
    My Mum had a rat in her kitchen; it chew through a ring main cables, only plus side was it got cooked
    Somewhere in the Surrey Hills :-)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Move house.
  • Rigga
    Rigga Posts: 939
    Get some nutella chocolate spread down laced with poison they love chocolate , thats what my local pest control firm uses for em.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    I've had rats in the house and shed before. They're a right pain. We once had them coming up from the drain and they burrowed out the 4" waste into the cavity wall and connected our house to the sewer! It caused hell of a mess underground. I caught 12 of them in our loft and floor cavities and poisoned many others two. It was quite a battle.

It always amazes me how rats, and particularly mice, like eating foam, rubber and PVC cables. There's no nutritional value in that, but they still chew through it all. Mice love the foam insulation around water pipes.

The best traps are the modern plastic jaws teeth type, such as these
    Plastic_Rat_Trap.jpg
    There are some lighter weight ones which look similar,but are useless on rats.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • andytxc
    andytxc Posts: 666
    Stuff an old grip full of plastic explosive and wait :D
  • captainfly
    captainfly Posts: 1,001
    If you have power there try one of these http://www.primrose-london.co.uk/mouse- ... 4QodwGmS-w
    since getting one after seing a mouse in the garden near some decking w/lighting there hasn't been a trace or sighting, they work through the netural wire and make it uncomfortable for rodents to live somewhere. Oh and a few Jack Russell terriers wil sort things out and enjoy doing so.
    -_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_-_
    Mongoose Teocali
    Giant STP0

Why are MTB economics; spend twice as much as you intended, but only half as much as you wish you could afford? :roll:
  • nax-ian
    nax-ian Posts: 209
    Obvious solution , get a cat!
    Finished
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    Air-rifle?
    Pellets are for girls.
    For a problem of this magnitude you need a Luger. Other 9mm pistols will do the trick, but I prefer the timeless retro-look of the fabled Pistole 1908 in 9mm parabellum.

5496072283_188d1b9698.jpg

Pistole P-08 Luger - stylish and effective...
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    edited March 2011
    doh! see below
  • NatoED
    NatoED Posts: 480
    You could hire my cat for a week . He catches rats on demand. Big suckers too. 5415703023_592af78358.jpg
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos dab hand at engineering too.
  • Pep
    Pep Posts: 501
    d3matt wrote:
    The best traps are the modern plastic jaws teeth type
    +1

In our loft we got rid of them with ulterasound emitter.
    As for the house, make sure you block any entrance. Anything as small as a finger they can get through.
  • d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    Pep wrote:
    In our loft we got rid of them with ulterasound emitter.

I tried those. I brought two expensive (supposedly the best) ones.
    The dogs ears pricked up when I switched them on, so I knew they were working. Pets aren't meant to hear them, but obviously they do. Didn't make a scrap of difference to either the rats or mice. Had droppings from both directly underneath the ultrasonic device in the loft.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.