Old Frame

clarkey cat
clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
In 1996 a friend's (who was fairly serious about racing) Dad built me a bike using various bits laying around in the garage and I'd say that it was my first proper road bike. I spent two very very happy summers on it and it was seriously rapid. Anyway, I went off to university and as is the wisdom of youth it was left in my Grandad's garden and went all rusty and eventually went in the tip. I kick myself every day I think about it now.

Anyway, I don't remember much about the actual details other than it ran on tubs, had Campy groupset with downtube shifters, a yellow leather saddle and a beauftiful white Reynolds frame with little orangey and yellow splashes of colour.

Has anyone any idea what frame it might have been as I'd love to rebuild myself something that had the feel of those heady summers blazing across the Purbecks.

Sorry I know its not alot of info to go on...

Comments

• rjsterry
    rjsterry Posts: 29,403
    You left it in the garden? :shock:

Criminal!

The livery sounds similar to some old Peugeots I've seen.
    1985 Mercian King of Mercia - work in progress (Hah! Who am I kidding?)
    Pinnacle Monzonite

Part of the anti-growth coalition
  • davis
    davis Posts: 2,506
    It sounds like it might have been a bike....

With that much info? Maybe a Peugeot frame but I thought they were Carbolite rather than Reynolds. Let's wait for the slippers and pipe brigade.
    Sometimes parts break. Sometimes you crash. Sometimes it’s your fault.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    were peugeots of yesteryear good?

i remember being given a road bike years ago that was reynolds tubing and i hated it because it had the shifters on the down tube but they wernt indexed so it was just a hope you got it into gear, that ended up rusting away aswell......
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    it was definitely a Reynolds. Is there a particular type of Reynolds used (or used to be used) for racing around the mid-90's. This guy was pretty serious so I'm guessing it would have been a decent one.
  • rjsterry
    mudcow007 wrote:

i remember being given a road bike years ago that was reynolds tubing and i hated it because it had the shifters on the down tube but they wernt indexed so it was just a hope you got it into gear, that ended up rusting away aswell......

So let me get this straight: you threw away a Reynolds-framed road bike because it didn't have indexed gears? Muttermuttermuttermumblegrumble.

Granted friction DT shifters need a bit more skill than indexed or STI, but they're difficult to beat for low-tech durability and ease of set-up.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcow007
    rjsterry wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

So let me get this straight: you threw away a Reynolds-framed road bike because it didn't have indexed gears? Muttermuttermuttermumblegrumble.

Granted friction DT shifters need a bit more skill than indexed or STI, but they're difficult to beat for low-tech durability and ease of set-up.

i was a young whipper snapper back then....an all of my mates had raleigh griffters and i felt left out. i have seen the error of my ways now though
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Most likely a Peugeot with reynolds 501 or 531.

However, I have seen some old Eddy Merckx frames with livery you describe....Depends on era!
  • rjsterry
    mudcow007 wrote:
    rjsterry wrote:
    mudcow007 wrote:

i was a young whipper snapper back then....an all of my mates had raleigh griffters and i felt left out. i have seen the error of my ways now though

I can remember at secondary school (late '80s - early '90s) I was pretty much the only person to have a road bike - a 5-speed Dawes tourer - while EVERYONE else had a more fashionable mountain bike. I seem to remember people boasting about how many gears they had. I was not the cool kid at school.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rjsterry wrote:
    I can remember at secondary school (late '80s - early '90s) I was pretty much the only person to have a road bike - a 5-speed Dawes tourer - while EVERYONE else had a more fashionable mountain bike. I seem to remember people boasting about how many gears they had. I was not the cool kid at school.

Yeah, well, my Dad drove a mushy-pea coloured Lada estate. I win. ;)
  • rjsterry
    rjsterry wrote:

I actually quite liked being the only kid with a road bike.
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• mudcow007
    my dad had a brown allegro if that counts for anything?
  • jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    edited March 2011
    gtvlusso wrote:
    Most likely a Peugeot with reynolds 501 or 531.

However, I have seen some old Eddy Merckx frames with livery you describe....Depends on era!
    Peugoet did do quite a range of reynolds around that era. I picked up a 531Pro frame in 1988. Red and white with (unusual for the time) a sloping fork crown. Luvverly

Edit: in fact very similar to this:
    2557461843_9316fca5d1.jpg
    Except I put DA/Ultegra/Time on mine...
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • rjsterry
    Like this?
    Pinnacle Monzonite

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    mudcow007 wrote:

Errrr, half the point about down tube shifters is that they don't need to be indexed. You just need a small amount of ability :lol:
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Wallace1492
    Wallace1492 Posts: 3,707
    rjsterry wrote:

I used to get dropped of at school by my Dad driving his Fish Van. I thank cod that was a long time ago, a different time and plaice.
    "Encyclopaedia is a fetish for very small bicycles"