Slime inner tubes

orangepip
orangepip Posts: 219
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Anyone used them? Got any feedback?
I've just noticed that they've started doing road versions and they might be useful for my commute.

I'm also interested in whether people would use them for their main weekend rides

Comments

• Butterd2
    Butterd2 Posts: 937
    I tried on my Fixed Gear and I have to say the experience was all bad.

They are very heavy and when they do puncture they are impossible to fix as the slime stops the patches from sticking. I also believe they only really work for MTB's where the pressures are lower, I don't see the slime holding 100psi back.
    Scott CR-1 (FCN 4)
    Pace RC200 FG Conversion (FCN 5)
    Giant Trance X

My collection of Cols
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    As Butterd2 says. I use them on my mtb but have fitted GP4000s on my road bike.

These are light and have an armoured centre section to help prevent punctures.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • noodleman
    noodleman Posts: 852
    Don't know about the road version but in tried them on my MTB and found them to be pretty useless. Seemed to offer nothing other than squirting their entire contents into my tires every time I got a puncture.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Don't do it!

I can't believe those things are still trading.

(1) they break open the valve to inject the 'slime' then glue it up - so that'll break off with any lateral stress from the pump.
    (2) the slime can get in the valve system and then the inner tube won't close.

Just get some tyres that are more puncture resistance.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Put stans sealant in your tubes through the valve core,its amazing.
    2oz per tyre i have put lots of our cycling club on to it and no more flats :lol:
    I even done a demo by sticking a small spike into the tyre 5 times and the tyre stayed up.
    Also punctured a new tub while trying them out,
    The cut was about 2mm got home put some stans in, blew the tyre up, spun the wheel and sealed straight away.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    Slime tyre liners ... great.
    Slime inner tubes ... not great.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Markyone - does Stans work in normal innertubes ? I had some Tufo sealant for my tubs - I guess thats similar. I might think about that for the winter bike.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    cougie wrote:
    Markyone - does Stans work in normal innertubes ? I had some Tufo sealant for my tubs - I guess thats similar. I might think about that for the winter bike.[/quote
    Yes it do work, i have had it in my winter tyres all winter and not 1 flat and that includes riding up dirty and mudy lanes.
    You will need inner tubes with removable valve core and inject in with syringe or the proper injection syringe they do.
    Got mine from cycle surgery.
    Had a flat on a tub when trying out new bike and wheels with no stans in,had a flat a mile from home and used vittoria pit stop and it came out.Crap stuff.
    The hole was about 2mm,got home put some stans in pumped up tyre, spun wheel and it sealed straight away amazing.
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap