Early June beginners trip to the alps

gsd
gsd Posts: 114
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Hi all,

I'm trying to organise a trip for beginners to the Alps for the first weekend in June. Can anyone recommend any resorts and/or companies please (probably flying to Geneva)? I haven't yet found a resort where the lifts are open by then so any area where there are good loops might be better. We'd need to be able to hire bikes too!

Any help at all would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Comments

• d3matt
    d3matt Posts: 510
    One of the magazines this month has two articles about riding in the Alps and travel costs etc, which you should read. I think it is Mountain Bike UK.

Riding this Boardman Team FS 2010. Also trying my first blog.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    Not much is open in June. I went one year on the 18th and it was only half open. Check before you book.
  • CycloRos
    CycloRos Posts: 579
    I was over in Morzine and Les Gets a couple of years back in June and both had uplifts operating, not all of them were though.

I can recommend Flow MTB based in Morzine, hired a Heckler off them for a couple of days.
    Current Rides -
    Charge Cooker, Ragley mmmBop, Haro Mary SS 29er
    Pics!
  • gsd
    Thanks everyone. I did buy the Mountain Bike UK magazine which was of great help.

Basically the only place in the Alps I could find with lifts open was Les Gets. Their lifts are open for the 28th/29th May and 4th/5th June weekends then open fully on the 10th June!

Hurray! :)
  • swissguy
    swissguy Posts: 12
    The lifts at Leysin in Switzerland will operate 2-5 June then in full operation from the 11th. Villars is also open from the 11th. Pretty much all the alpine stations in the region will be operating weekends during June at the latest and most probably May as well. In the Jura the lifts at Métabief will also run for weekends in May and June.
  • gsd
    Brilliant - that's really reassuring! :)
  • swissguy
    swissguy Posts: 12
    You may still find it difficult to find any guided riding though, it's pretty early season I think but operators may have something going on.

Accommodation can be hit and miss as well, some places may be shut but any that are open will be low season and have some good prices.

& the weather can be odd, at 2000m in June it can be quite brutal from time to time, there's often going to be snow on routes as well although I can't see that being a major problem this year.

But, you shouldn't let any of that put you off, the out of season months like June, Sept' & October are great in the alps.