Footpaths and Bridleways

scarbs85
scarbs85 Posts: 170
edited March 2011 in MTB general
Do people ride indiscriminately on all public rights of way, or do you guys respect the footpaths and stay off them with bikes? I'm genuinely interested to know what everyone else does.

Personally I find it frustrating that so much of it is off limit to bikes, and I don't really know why walkers have more right than cyclists. Horses churn up paths, but do cycles cause any more wear to trails than walkers do? I try to stick to bridleways where I can, but if I have to use a footpath to link things up, then I will.

What does everyone else do?

Edit// Sorry meant to post this in Routes section.

Comments

• I ride where I want to. If there are footpaths that get busier at certain times then I try to avoid those times and if I rode certain footpaths where I got a load of grief constantly then I would maybe steer clear of there but I haven't ever had that experience. Sometimes I get the odd person tell me that I shouldn't be wherever but I normally just ask them if they're the land owner (knowing that they aren't) and then explain to them that its really none of their business if they don't own the land. I always slow down or stop if there are people in my way, most folk, even on footpaths are generally quite agreeable if you show them some sort of respect and be polite.
  • Eyon
    Eyon Posts: 623
    edited March 2011
    we have legal right as cyclists to use any public bridleways and footpaths. We aren't breaking the law

Most importantly, be courteous and say hello, pretend they have the right of way, most of the time they wont complain, I've never had an issue.
  • DHA987S
    DHA987S Posts: 284
    I usually pull over/slow down if I meet anyone be it on foot or on a horse. Usually get a thanks for it as well.

I do use some footpaths, sometimes unknowingly but other times there isn't an option.
  • I believe in the right to roam. If everyone has respect for each other, I don't see what the problem is, whether you're on two wheels or two feet.

If I'm passing people, I'll most often slow down to walking pace, even if they see me coming and politely give me plenty of room (which is generally the case), and if I feel it's appropriate, I'll get off and walk past.

I don't at all like the idea that it's dictated to us, where we can, and cannot go in the countryside. It's there to be explored by us all.
  • scarbs85
    Footpath - open to walkers only, waymarked with a yellow arrow.

Taken from the Natural England website. There is also a chart showing that 78% of public rights of way are Footpaths.

I always try to be considerate to any others I come across, and 99% don't mind, probably don't even realise that you shouldn't, technically, be there.
  • ging004
    ging004 Posts: 13
    I ride a local route which is footpath and bridleway, and normally ride the lot.

The other day I saw a group of walkers coming the other way on a footpath section through a farm field. So I jumped off not to cause any moaning, but as the walkers past one said "aint you suppose to be riding that". So i jumped back on and teared off.

So Im going on the theory now that Im just going to ride it all untill someone really moans at me then I might get off.
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    Eyon wrote:
    we have legal right as cyclists to use any public bridleways and footpaths. We aren't breaking the law

Most importantly, be courteous and say hello, pretend they have the right of way, most of the time they wont complain, I've never had an issue.

Although its not a criminal matter, it is a civil naughty and can be prosecuted for trespassing by the land owner for using the footpath, cyclists dont have legal rights to use them.

Also there might be local bylaws in place making it a criminal matter for using a footpath.

That said, I might accidentally ride on a footpath now and then. :wink:
  • Eyon wrote:

If by 'right' you mean 'by common law we are entitled to travel along a type of track by bicycle' then for footpaths in England and Wales we have no such right.

However, in most cases, we're not technically 'breaking the law'. You can't be fined for riding on a footpath, there's no criminal offence being committed. You can, however, be prosecuted for trespass by the landowner, should he or she catch you and take umbrage. If a traffic regulation order prohibiting cycling exists on a trail, then you can be prosecuted and fined.
    John Stevenson
  • Iwingstein
    Iwingstein Posts: 111
    Good thread, as I'm currently trying to start a new mtb club in my area and the idea is to get the council, the club and the landowners together and see if we can do a trial using "their" footpaths as cycleways as well (and the club will help maintain those trials/improve things etc.

If nothing comes of it, I'll prob still do it anyway. Had one landowner have a whinge but then he has an arrogant selfish attitude anyway.

ATB

Simon
  • Where I want and when I want. Also field edges which are neither foot path or bridlepath but usually a no objections.

My preference is very early morning to avoid other people - and their fng dogs whether on the footpath or the bridleway.

I go on farmland and was challenged once by a farmer moaning about private land. Because he tried to mow me down with his quadbike I said (once able to escape) 'sorry mate I was only going to check my snares'.
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    No such problem in our country, we have the right to roam anywhere...so long as you're not actually doing any damage, but then that's covered by other legislation. :D
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • mak3m
    mak3m Posts: 1,394
    check out a good road map or tap up your local highway authority for a list of greenways, e roads and permissive byways. Live and ride in warwickshire and there are some top rides out there, some a bit of a pain as its through farmland, lots of gates and grids. Can range from pleasent XC to some challenging loose climbing at times. rural county like Linconshire should be full of them
  • I think its a bit different riding across a farmers field without permission. If he has a field that he owns that has no sort of designated public rights of way then I think people should keep out. It's kind of like someone riding through my garden on a bike and then saying "whats your problem? I'm not doing any harm".
    I wouldn't be happy and would probably explain my point of view quite forcefully.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    The start of most of my rides from home are via a footpath, only ever had one person tell me that I should be there but he was just being a twunt so I ignored him. I always try to be considersate to any walkers I come across and say good morning to them, they tend to be fine.

There is one local footpath which I don't use very often, but there's a guy who lives there is very anti-cycling. He has access part way down the path to his house and one evening he swerved towards me in his big Bentley to make me stop. He then berated me for cycling there and threatened me with an ASBO if he caught me again. To be honest I was in shock a bit because he very nearly hit me and I wasn't expecting it. Now I'm ready for the fat git he never seems to be around when I cycle down there, I'd love him to try something when I'm ready for him. He's not the land owner either.
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    If he does it again ride gently up to his car, dive over the bonnet, and sue him for whiplash
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    cooldad wrote:
    If he does it again ride gently up to his car, dive over the bonnet, and sue him for whiplash
    :lol: That's exactly (apart from the slowly part) the move I had in mind. I think a 6'4" 18st lump would make quite a dent in his shiney black bonnet... :twisted:

I think I could then kick his @ss and claim self defense, surely... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • I think its a bit different riding across a farmers field without permission. If he has a field that he owns that has no sort of designated public rights of way then I think people should keep out. It's kind of like someone riding through my garden on a bike and then saying "whats your problem? I'm not doing any harm".
    I wouldn't be happy and would probably explain my point of view quite forcefully.

I think a field in the middle of nowhere is a little different to walking through someone'se garden. I mean, I get what you're saying, but I was brought up to simply treat them with respect. Farmers generally don't mind so long as you keep to the edges and not trample over their crops.

Personally, if I'm near a farmhouse, and they have what looks like their own 'personal' fields, where they keep their private horses, sunbathe naked, or whatever, then I'll keep out. I'm quite conscious that I shouldn't be wandering into peoples back gardens, even if they're monumental in size. But if it's another field, somewhere near nowhere, in a whole sea of fields...sod it. If they find that irritating, then they probably need to take up yoga or something.
  • fair point I guess. If its not within sight of the farmhouse and there is no livestock then I reckon like you say it should be ok if you aren't blundering through the middle of the field and sticking to the edges. At the end of the day though it is his property and if he doesn't want you there for whatever reason then you have to respect that. If a farmer has a footpath or bridleway running through his field then it is up to him to make sure that he is prepared for people leaving rubbish or gates open, if there is no public right of way then he shouldn't really have to worry about a bunch of townies with or without bikes yomping around on his land and letting his sheep out. A farmer near me had a bunch of kids camp up in an empty field that he wasn't using at the time. The next field had sheep in it but he figured live and let live and despite the fact that they never even asked to camp there he just let them get on with it as there is a bridleway running through there and tbh I just think he thought he didn't need the grief of chucking them out. Anyway they subsequently decided to gather firewood and have a little camp fire. When he came back in the morning it seems like they had run out of logs because they had burnt his gate! Sheep everywhere and a farmer somewhat less easy going than he had been 24hrs before. To be fair the gate was pretty rickety anyway and he needed to replace it but being a farmer was too tight so they prob did him a favour but it's not really the point eh?
    I also think however that if there isn't a fence around it then it's fair game, there is a lot of moorland that isn't fenced in but has sheep on it. I don't know who owns it I'm fairly certain that it probably is owned by a farmer but if he doesn't fence it then he can't be all that bothered can he?
  • scarbs85
    Being from a farming family, I can tell you why it's a problem. Responsible folk who stick to field edges and act properly don't cause a problem in small numbers. The trouble is, where one goes others follow. Those others aren't always well behaved, and it's even more annoying when somebody shouts at you for ploughing THEIR footpath, which isn't, wasn't, and never has been a footpath.

Farmers have to put up with a lot of hassle I can tell you, and encouraging or allowing more people onto the land only causes more problems. It isn't the first cyclist, its the dogwalkers, motorbikers or whoever else that might follow. Monkey see, monkey do. It's a shame, and it would be lovely if people could show some respect in exchange for access to the countryside. Sadly the minority spoil it for everyone else.

For that reason I often avoid cycling over my own land, especially on a regular basis. I'm not trying to have a whinge or anything, but just trying to explain why some farmers may not like you cycling over their land, and why you should respect their decision if they ask you to leave. Admittedly for farmers, it won't always be politely which doesn't help :roll:
  • Arkady001
    Arkady001 Posts: 201
    When I lived in the UK I would cycle on footpaths as well as bridleways - in the early spring months, the bridleways north of Brighton are often impassable due to the depradations of horse riders - it took a good few weeks of walkers and riders smoothing out the hoof-ruts to make them rideable again - after a perrticularly bad winter followed by a wet spring, they sometimes never recovered and some trails were practically unrideable 'uphill'...
    I ride trails that are fun and quite often that means a mixture of bridleway and footpath to get a decent circuit - as long as you ride responsibly and dismount if there's a group of walkers or riders approaching (a horse will just bash you into the weeds anyway, so you may as well get off and move aside), there are few problems.

The Red-Sock Brigade will always be a vociferous minority and if it wassn't cyclists, they'd be ranting and moaning about something else. I've occasionally been threatened by a knobbly hawthorne walking stick when riding, but when they realise I'm in my mid-40s (and quite enjoy a good scrap) and not a spotty teenager they tend to back down...

Here in Germany it's different - nearly all land is owned by private individuals and leased or loaned to townships for common use. The concept of 'common' land with established 'rights of way' is unknown here.
    The hills and forests local to me are owned by a group of landowners and leased to forestry companies who manage and log it in sections. the 'fire-roads' are OK to use as are some of the more established dirt 'roads' (several fire-roads across the hills are established 'roads' linking some of the smaller villages and are incorporated into a national ramblers' network of long distance walking routes).
    Footpaths (singletrack is bloody hard to find around here) shouldn't be cycled on, but we all do, judging by the tryre tracks I encounter.