steel vs aluminium frames

2»

Comments

• dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    unixnerd wrote:
    There's a good case for having a spare bike in case one needs to go into the shop for a few days. :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Indeed, you can never have too many bikes after all. N+1.

La la la la la. I can't hear you.

683474143_pEqRL-L.jpg
    Mmmmm
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    clarkey cat Posts: 3,641
    I have just this minute bought a steel-framed bike. I have been coveting it for about 4 years and just had a moment's madness in Condor.

The missus is going to kill me.

:oops:
  • dhope
    I have just this minute bought a steel-framed bike. I have been coveting it for about 4 years and just had a moment's madness in Condor.

Pics or it didn't happen...
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • clarkey cat
    As soon as I get it home I'll get some pics up... to coin a Clarksonism though - it's bite the back of your hand beautiful.
  • I have just this minute bought a steel-framed bike. I have been coveting it for about 4 years and just had a moment's madness in Condor.

Wow, we're even quicker than usual at corrupting this one. ;)
  • walkingbootweather
    walkingbootweather Posts: 2,443
    edited March 2011

Ah, a Condor moment...
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • As soon as I get it home I'll get some pics up... to coin a Clarksonism though - it's bite the back of your hand beautiful.
    Dang...nice one. Looking forward to pics.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • clarkey cat
    The honeymoon can wait...
  • dhope
    The honeymoon can wait...

If you hawk the rings you could buy another bike maybe
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864

Defences:

1: Darling, look - I saved us 100 quid! It was on sale.
    2: This means my other bikes will last longer now, think how much we've saved!
    3: They also have a women's version - would you like one?
    4: It was either this or pay for a gym and I know we can't afford that.
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • clarkey cat
    it would be nice to have something in carbon...

must. catch. s. works. man.
  • clarkey cat
    it WAS on sale. I saved £200 and got some free pedals.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Actually this reminds me of the ultimate post-purchase put down. I sold a mate a lovely classic BMW saloon I'd done up. He gave it to the wife as a Christmas pressie (who no doubt would rather have had a new people carrier). Her response, "it's really nice but I'm afraid we can't afford it". In response to his assurances about their financial status she replied, "but I'm pregnant".
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

Which one did you go for?
  • unixnerd wrote:
    Actually this reminds me of the ultimate post-purchase put down. I sold a mate a lovely classic BMW saloon I'd done up. He gave it to the wife as a Christmas pressie (who no doubt would rather have had a new people carrier). Her response, "it's really nice but I'm afraid we can't afford it". In response to his assurances about their financial status she replied, "but I'm pregnant".

Many years ago a group of my friends were at a barbeque and my mate Ric was telling us all about a new sports car he'd just ordered. The guys all wanted to know technical details like how fast it went, what the power was, 0-60 time etc. One of the girls was only interested in 'what colour it was'.

Exactly a year later, at anaother event this same girl was telling everyone about her newly born first child. The WAGS were clucking around wanting to know the baby's weight, eye colour, sleeping habits, delivery time etc. when Ric piped up 'yeah, and what colour was it?'

Guess you had to be there....
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Reminds me I need to go and collect my steel frame from Amourtex ready for it's rebuild this weeked 8)

Just need a rear mech and i'm all set.
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • clarkey cat

Fratello with Campy Centaur.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968

Cinnamon or cocoa on top?
  • jonny_trousers
    jonny_trousers Posts: 3,588

Sweet. I'll look out for you on it. I fancy an Acciaio, but a Fratello probably makes more sense for what I would use it for.
  • itboffin
    Right lets kick this thread back into life.

I've been lucky enough to get a place on next years Amstel Gold Race (tour version) and I was thinking I need an all day comfortable but still sporty bike for the event, I have just the bike my old steel 531.

Alas i'd only just finished restoring it to the retro-ish look (see 'Steel' in sig.) now I need it to be modern and a tad more comfortable, so I ....

Agreed to buy next week a pair of 7800 STI shifters to go with the Dura Ace F/R mechs, then I saw some new 7800 32 spoke wheels on open pro rims that will go perfectly with a set of 25c 4000s.

I already had aero carbon forks and a borrowed full carbon Selle saddle all I need now is to swap my Ti BB and FSA cranks from my CX bike and we're all set.

Oh some new brakes perhaps? mmmm .....Dura Ace?

Pic's to follow.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    Unless you are invoking n+1 (who are we kidding, of course you are!) then what's wrong with the carbon?
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • itboffin
    daviesee wrote:
    Unless you are invoking n+1 (who are we kidding, of course you are!) then what's wrong with the carbon?

ssssh nothing i just like shopping and building bikes - duh! :lol: