Non Starters at Sportives

Brakeless
Brakeless Posts: 865
've had an email today from the Hell of the Ashdown organisers saying that 365 people who had paid for places didn't turn up on the day. Thats 25% of Entrants.

I myself didn't turn up for the Kentish Killer the week before as I had Flu.

The problem is that you have to book these things quickly and far in advance when entries open to get a place. You then have no way of knowing if you'll be fit on the day or if any other events, cycling or otherwise will stop you going.

I haven't got an answer to this, it just seems a shame that these places don't get filled as there are probably other riders who would fill the places on the day if they could.

Comments

• ugo.santalucia
    ugo.santalucia Posts: 28,310
    how right you are...

25% is pretty much average for off season events
    left the forum March 2023
  • bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    The thing that made me laugh about that email was the reference to the "terrible waste of food". Presumably that was a big mountain of bananas, or perhaps a lake of blackcurrant squash, because as far as I could see there was feck all else available at the food stops!

Otherwise a great event though, far better with half decent weather and nice for it to coincide with the start of spring classic season.
  • Gooner69
    Gooner69 Posts: 97
    When people have advised in advance that they cant for whatever reason attend our Bristol event ( www.blackratcycle.co.uk ) we have entered them into our North Devon event as an alternative and vice versa.

Not always ideal, but at least it offers them something.

As organisers we want to see as many as possible turn up. It adds to the occasion and means tons of food (cakes,fruit etc) doesnt go to waste.

Usually its the weather that makes the biggest difference 8)
  • pastasauce
    pastasauce Posts: 221
    A friend of mine wanted to CXL on the Hell of the Ashdown but was told if she did they couldn't transfer or return her place.

I'm sure a waiting list would work with a bit of flexibility ?

Or is there more to it ?

(Great ride by the way and ace organisation)
    :D
  • Omar Little
    Omar Little Posts: 2,010
    Surprised it is that many.

Maybe it says it all about me being a cheap bastard but if i'd paid money in advance for an event (even if it was something like ridiculous like £2 or something) then it would take a pretty serious issue to prevent me from starting and trying to get my moneys worth :D
  • Sirius631
    Sirius631 Posts: 991
    They should do what the CTT do and put a 'Willing to be a reserve' checkbox on the entry form. Once the field has been selected those remaining that have not checked the box should have their entries returned. A further 10 percent should then be selected from the others and be advised that they are reserves.
    To err is human, but to make a real balls up takes a super computer.
  • mrushton
    mrushton Posts: 5,182
    well it's not a waste of food because it's paid for. What happens to supermarket food that doesn't get sold - it's accounted for as waste and the customer pays for it. Mcr Velodrome has rides that are often full but if 25% cancel then there is more room on the track. This 'reserve' idea is ok but you rely on someone to chase round those on the reserve list. If AC/DC sell 10,000 tickets for a show and 1,000 didn't turn up - the gig would go ahead. That's how it is. The organisers got the entries and the money so why make more work for themselves
    M.Rushton
  • gsk82
    gsk82 Posts: 3,570
    i'm sure they allow for a percentage not turning up when they agree numbers with venues/ police and organise the food etc. anything left over should be offered to volunteers then taken to a shelter if they can take it
    "Unfortunately these days a lot of people don’t understand the real quality of a bike" Ernesto Colnago
  • harpo
    harpo Posts: 173
    BigMat wrote:
    The thing that made me laugh about that email was the reference to the "terrible waste of food".

Big pile of unripe uneadible bananas. I picked one up at second stop and it went straight into the first hedge after I tried to eat it! They might have been ripe enough for a sportive next weekend, they could have sold them on......

Good ride though and it was my first sportive, defo will be back next year.

My effort:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70386194
  • TheStone
    TheStone Posts: 2,291
    gsk82 wrote:
    i'm sure they allow for a percentage not turning up when they agree numbers with venues/ police and organise the food etc.

This.

25% seems high for what was an fairly nice day, but I'd imagine they always account for at least 15% not turning up.
    exercise.png
  • DeadCalm
    DeadCalm Posts: 4,235
    harpo wrote:
    Big pile of unripe uneadible bananas. I picked one up at second stop and it went straight into the first hedge after I tried to eat it! They might have been ripe enough for a sportive next weekend, they could have sold them on......

Good ride though and it was my first sportive, defo will be back next year.

My effort:
    http://connect.garmin.com/activity/70386194

Good effort indeed. I'll not be posting a link to my feeble attempt.

The ride was great but personally thought the Kentish Killer the weekend before was better in every respect except for the weather.
  • Hibbs
    Hibbs Posts: 291
    Came down with a headcold so couldn't make it.

But considering petrol prices at the moment I wasn't particularly disappointed.
  • vorsprung
    vorsprung Posts: 1,953
    I organise a audax which is on a much smaller scale than these sportives

I had 35 entries and 23 starters, that's 45%-ish non starters

But the DNS people had all paid so they subsidized the BBQ at the finish for the finishers

The limit on entrants will take into account a certain level of DNS

If the weather is poor more people DNS, that's probably a bigger issue for causing piles of left over bananas
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    harpo wrote:
    [Big pile of unripe uneadible bananas. I picked one up at second stop and it went straight into the first hedge after I tried to eat it!
    Should have gone in a bin surely?! 2 years to decompose I think: http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Answe ... the-hills/
  • toontra
    toontra Posts: 1,160
    mroli wrote:
    harpo wrote:
    [Big pile of unripe uneadible bananas. I picked one up at second stop and it went straight into the first hedge after I tried to eat it!
    Should have gone in a bin surely?! 2 years to decompose I think: http://www.livefortheoutdoors.com/Answe ... the-hills/

On well-used footpaths perhaps there may be an issue due to the sheer numbers, but in a county hedgerow I don't see any problem in dumping banana skins. A drop in the ocean of constantly decomposing organic matter already there (not to mention the millions of tons of cattle excreta). BTW they don't take 2 years to decompose - that refers to areas of high altitude and low temperature (e.g. the Himalayas) where this probably is a real problem. In a British hedgerow more like a few days.

On topic (sort of), un-ripe bananas are the work of the devil and should never be served up to cyclists - bad organisation!

a serious case of small cogs
  • Road Red
    Road Red Posts: 232
    25% struck me as a high number, maybe down to the being early in the season.

The only issue I have about it is that for an event that sold out within 24 hours there must be a lot of people out there who would liked to have taken part and couldn't.

Not sure what the solution is though. Operate a transfer system a la Dragonride?
  • flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    Great event and the 25% that didn't turn up missed out I think, was perfect weather and a fantastic route.

Best time was 3hr 33min :shock: Mine a more sedate 3hr 48min.

The organisers were it seemed able to accommodate most requests re start times and rider changes that morning.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • bigmat
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Great event and the 25% that didn't turn up missed out I think, was perfect weather and a fantastic route.

The organisers were it seemed able to accommodate most requests re start times and rider changes that morning.

Flanners, which bike were you on? I went round on my Viner, would've been nice to have had a speedy accomplice rather than the usual 66 mile time trial. :(
  • Boleynboy
    Boleynboy Posts: 83
    BigMat wrote:
    The thing that made me laugh about that email was the reference to the "terrible waste of food". Presumably that was a big mountain of bananas, or perhaps a lake of blackcurrant squash, because as far as I could see there was feck all else available at the food stops!

Otherwise a great event though, far better with half decent weather and nice for it to coincide with the start of spring classic season.

Glad I am not the only one who was not impressed by the food (i.e bananas) available at the food stops.
    This is the second Hell I have participated in (the first was last years infamous ice ride) and everything about it is top notch, the route, marshalling and general organisation, but the food stops really let them down.
    I did not stop at the first one, and I always carry enough gels and bars to see me through, but that does not mean it would not have been nice to have a bit more choice other than just bananas at the second feed.
    For the fast guys it probably is not such an issue, but for anyone taking 5 hours or more the last 13 miles that are left after the second feed can be tough, especially as it includes the Hell's sting in its tail, Star Hill.
    The fact that there was a guy handing out free pieces of flapjack at the finish was a bit odd, surely he should have been 13 miles down the road?!
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    HOTA feed stations have always been poor. Overhyped reliability ride.

Route is good but I'd put the Kentish Killer organised by Avanti CC above iHOTA in terms of value for money.

Catford CC need to raise their game for the entrance fee they charge.
  • flanners1
    BigMat wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:

Flanners, which bike were you on? I went round on my Viner, would've been nice to have had a speedy accomplice rather than the usual 66 mile time trial. :(

I saw a Viner Gladius on my way round was that you?

I was on a white Colnago CLX with a black and white Campag top on number 353. Did you see me?
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • Velonutter
    Velonutter Posts: 2,437
    The only ride I paid for but didn't turn up was because I don't ride in the extreme cold/snow.

It was an Audax, so my small entry fee they were welcome to keep.

It's a shame organisers don't publish an email address or mobile number so that you send a message or text saying you won't be riding, that way then they can offer your place to others
  • bigmat
    Flanners1 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:

I was on a white Colnago CLX with a black and white Campag top on number 353. Did you see me?

Don't remember seeing you. Nice bike - I reckon I would have clocked it! I was number 0910, didn't see another Viner Gladius so it might have been me you saw...
  • flanners1
    BigMat wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:
    BigMat wrote:
    Flanners1 wrote:

Don't remember seeing you. Nice bike - I reckon I would have clocked it! I was number 0910, didn't see another Viner Gladius so it might have been me you saw...

I did see you then, sure you were on the left side of the road in a turning/lay-by either eating or sorting out your bike? I thought at time don't see many Viner's :D

You doing the Burgess Hill SRS jobbie?
    Bizango 29er
  • bigmat
    Probably not me then - I had a pretty clear run, only stopped at the feed stops. Maybe there was another Gladius, I saw a guy on a Perfecta so I wasn't the only Viner out there!

No more sportives planned until April now, need to do some more high intensity miles and maybe have a crack at a race or two.