Thread 2 = Cannondale Caad10 Ultegra or Supersix 105 or...

tailwindhome
tailwindhome Posts: 19,354
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Ok

Lets assume I decide that the Caad 5 is going to be ran into the ground (see thread 1)

What's best option for a good road bike?

Possibly best Alu frame in the business with Ultegra or the base Carbon model (shortlisted for Cycling Plus Bike of the Year 2011 and based on the 2010 winner)

The other alternative is a Caad9 with Tiagra and a wheel upgrade to Krysium Elite
“New York has the haircuts, London has the trousers, but Belfast has the reason!

Comments

• bigmat
    bigmat Posts: 5,134
    Can't really go wrong with the first two, acarbon / alu might depend on what its intended use is - I'm generally a bit careful about where I leave my carbon bike as I worry about it getting damaged, whereas metal is, well, metal, so probably better for commuting.

I would avoid the Tiagra - 9 speed isn't it? Nothing wrong with that per se, but might limit your upgrade options in future.
  • gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    Boardman Team Carbon for bang for buck - very upgradeable too.

To be honest - stick with the 'dale and replace parts when they wear out.
  • Greg T
    Greg T Posts: 3,266
    I (almost) have both . . . .

Caad 9 Ultegra from last year and Carbon Six 105...

I swapped the Ultegra Kit from the 9 onto the Six . . . .

I'd prefer to ride the six but got the 9 as my summer commuting bike - it is a very nice bike in itself . . .

Bicycle in Richmond sorted me out for both of them - they know their Cannondales....

You live west Londonish don't you? You can try mine out.
    Fixed gear for wet weather / hairy roadie for posing in the sun.

What would Thora Hurd do?
  • ketsbaia
    ketsbaia Posts: 1,718
    I have a SuperSix Hi-Mod with 105 on it. Great bike, but I can't wait to change the groupset for something that works properly.