Which city has the best bike shops?

MaxwellBygraves
MaxwellBygraves Posts: 1,353
edited March 2011 in The bottom bracket
As the title says, which town or city has the best road bike shops?

Towns and cities only, so the likes of Epic don't count.

Personally, in Cambridge the only road shop to go to is Primo cycles, they're really really good, but since all the other shops are cr@p I'd have to say that Cambridge probably isn't up there with the best.

So which city is lucky enough to have the best bike shops?
"That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer

Comments

• davelakers
    davelakers Posts: 762
    Preston and its surrounding area has its fair share of quality shops.

Paul Hewitts
    Ribble
    Bill Nickson
    and 2 Halfords................
  • Exeter is pretty good. The Bike Shed and Sidwell Cycles in the centre, Richards Bikes just outside, Cycle Surgery a little further out and Partridge Cycles on the way to Haldon.

We even have a couple of Halfords plus three small independent shops that I know of.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661

Personally, in Cambridge the only road shop to go to is Primo cycles, they're really really good, but since all the other shops are cr@p I'd have to say that Cambridge probably isn't up there with the best.

Cambridge is awful for bike shops.

I'd venture London probably wins by sheer weight and force.
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    London - by a mile.
  • jonrwg
    jonrwg Posts: 39
    How about Birmingham? :D
  • -spider-
    -spider- Posts: 2,548
    Per head of population and good bike shops - it has to be Clachan of Campsie.

-Spider-
  • As the title says, which town or city has the best road bike shops?

Cambridge is awful for bike shops.

I'd venture London probably wins by sheer weight and force.
    Agreed - only one good one. All others are unfriendly miserable sods.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • glasgowbhoy
    glasgowbhoy Posts: 1,341
    -spider- wrote:
    Per head of population and good bike shops - it has to be Clachan of Campsie.

:lol: Never mind yer fancy bling showroom. Just clamber over all the bits of bikes and rummage about to find what you need.

A real bike shop.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187

Where are they then as never heard of them?

Best city for bike shops - Amsterdam.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • JonClean
    JonClean Posts: 133
    Oxford, I'm sorry to say, suffers in the same way as Cambridge: plenty of bike shops, no really good ones.

If I had to chose one, I'd give a shout to Warlands on Botley Road. But they're not really a 'road bike' shop, they're more about tourers, shoppers, folders and tandems. Their knowledge is pretty exhaustive, and I trust them as mechanics (unlike some of the others) but it ain't the place to go for your next pair of carbon soled Sidi road shoes.
    <b><font><font> For disappearing acts, it\'s hard to beat what happens to the eight hours supposedly left after eight of sleep and eight of work.</font></font></b>