Rollers/Turbo Trainer - Advice Needed!

SpaceBadger
SpaceBadger Posts: 113
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Hi all

I apologise in advance for this question :oops: , I am envisaging mass facepalming as I type but I'm going to say it anyway!

Is there a bit of kit (rollers or turbo trainer type) that my bike (and I obviously) can go onto as soon as I get through the door pretty much, no need to remove wheels, and that will not damage my best bike?

I want to be able to put some miles in during times when I can't get/stay out and about but I haven't technically got a spare bike at the moment because my other half has decided to cycle to work on it (result!). I know one solution is n+1 but that might have to wait a bit...any thoughts?

SB
"I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4

Comments

• symo
    symo Posts: 1,743
    For me Kurt Kinetic Rock and Roll, frame that holds the bike can move thus reducing stress on your frame, not that there is an issue with turbo's stressing frames.

Other than that you are going to have to look at Rollers.

My opinion only.
    +++++++++++++++++++++
    we are the proud, the few, Descendents.

Panama - finally putting a nail in the economic theory of the trickle down effect.
  • Whatever you get you should consider a training tyre too. I had a blow-out after wearing my road tyre too thin on the trainer - the tyres get pretty hot.

I have a spare back wheel and cassette with a Vittoria training tyre on it so I can just swap wheels when I want to put my bike on the trainer for low-zone training.

For the record I have a Kinetik trainer.

Mudguard Nazi, FCN 10
  • SpaceBadger
    SpaceBadger Posts: 113
    Thanks for the replies - it's things like melting my tyres I am concerned about! I s'pose having spare wheels wouldn't be too much of a faff. I'm just wondering if there are any options that wouldn't have this risk? Might be asking for an impossible product :?
    "I think the phrase rhymes with Clucking Bell"

FCN = 4
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    I only have basic experience of both, but rollers will give you more of an 'all bike workout' in that they'll get you working your core muscles in the same way you do as when you're riding - they're not just a good CV and leg workout, they'll help you develop/maintain bike control and are a more relevant training tool than a turbo trainer - may take a little while to get used to though. Really it depends what you ultimately want to use it for - with a turbo trainer you can get on it and pump away without thinking about it so they're great if you just want to get your legs going and maintain a bit of fitness when it's pissing it down outside...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Rockhopper
    Rockhopper Posts: 503
    Get your tyre pressure right and the right amount of pressure on the turbo trainer roller and the tyre will stay stone cold (at least mine does!)
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    I have an Elite HydroForce turbo trainer. Never had a problem with rear tyres getting very hot or premature wear in 10 years of use. The road bike slips in and out of it very easily. I use an old QR to save the nice one from getting marked. It has variable resistance which I can alter from a lever on the bike's handle bars. It's been very good on reflection and still going strong. It does what it's supposed to. I am sure they now have more gimmicks on them but I would buy another of the same make if and when the time comes. I've never ridden on rollers.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.