Cavendish for all 3 GT's

iainf72
iainf72 Posts: 15,784
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Surely a bit of a heavy programme for Worlds prep?

He also defends cycling's honour here

http://www.sportinglife.com/others/news ... ml&BID=678
Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.

Comments

• pat1cp
    pat1cp Posts: 766
    Surely the Vuelta will be merely some "fine tuning" no ?

I'm not sure on the calendar but he probably wont get to Madrid.
  • Tusher
    Tusher Posts: 2,762
    Depends if he's wearing their Green Jersey or not.
    It's a tough call, but he will have sought advice. And at least he'll be pleased he's riding the Giro this year.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    GB might need his World Tour points from Giro stage wins to get him more than 2 helpers in Copenhagen.
  • Depends on how many of those GT's he finishes, but would agree with Iain, seems a bit heavy, especially when this year's race might be his only chance to win a World Championship RR. But then what do I know, I'm just some geeza on a forum!

:D
  • patchy
    patchy Posts: 779
    Well, going by this he'll be peaking thrice: Once for MSR, once for the Tour and once for the championships. I guess he must be angling for the points on the assumption that it'll be no use being in great shape for Copenhagen if there's hardly anyone to support him.

P-R is an interesting one... I'm sure I remember reading somewhere - and this is a couple of years ago - that it's a long term goal for him (like, in ten years' time). Getting experience on the cobbles in already?
    point your handlebars towards the heavens and sweat like you're in hell
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    FJS wrote:
    GB might need his World Tour points from Giro stage wins to get him more than 2 helpers in Copenhagen.

This is massively on the money.
  • pedro118118
    pedro118118 Posts: 1,102
    Do sprinters really need to 'peak' in the same way as riders targetting the overall? Assuming they have good enough condition to get into the last 5km well positioed, itsn't it all high-end/speed stuff? I can't imagine Cav will complete either the Giro or the Vuelta.
  • rick_chasey
    Do sprinters really need to 'peak' in the same way as riders targetting the overall? Assuming they have good enough condition to get into the last 5km well positioed, itsn't it all high-end/speed stuff? I can't imagine Cav will complete either the Giro or the Vuelta.

i think you need the condition to get you over the various obstacles put infront of a sprint finish with enough in the tank to get in the right position and properly sprint.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    It makes sense because all three Grand Tours are very mountainous this year. By which I mean he's unlikely to finish any of them, except maybe in France where he goes for green. So the headlines of "3 GTs" is more a few stages in the Giro and Vuelta, plus the Tour.
  • Oz Chief
    Oz Chief Posts: 176
    Will HTC have anyone this year that will realistically have a shot at a top 5 GC for any of the GT's.

I can't think of anyone so no-one would really miss a team mate if it came to the business end
  • rick_chasey
    Oz Chief wrote:
    Will HTC have anyone this year that will realistically have a shot at a top 5 GC for any of the GT's.

I can't think of anyone so no-one would really miss a team mate if it came to the business end

Peter Velits came 3rd behind Mosquera (tested positive) and Nibali in the Vuelta...
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    Oz Chief wrote:

Peter Velits? Pinotti is an outside shot.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • rick_chasey
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    Tyler Farrar's done all three GTs two years in a row, now. It doesn't seem to have done him much harm. (Admittedly, he only finished 3 of them).
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • pedro118118
    I think Tony Martin and Teejay van Garderen could well end up as GC material, but not whilst they are being put to work for the sprinters.
    As per earlier post, Peter Vellits was a breakthrough performer at the Vuelta.
    Perhaps HTC will go full-on for the Green Jersey at the Tour and spread their bets at the Giro and Vuelta?
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I think Tony Martin deserves more from HTC than being Cav's b*tch. I say this as a huge fan of Mark as well.
  • pedro118118
    Perhbaps Martin could be the next Indurain, if given the support?
    He can hold his own on all but the hardest of mountain stages - still room for improvement - and can take big chunks of time on the pure climbers against the clock.

It's a difficult balancing act for HTC - one which effectively led to the likes of Kirchen, Lovqvist and EBH all leaving in recent years.

Then again, when you've got the fastest man on two wheels in the squad, you have to make the most out of it.
  • TMR
    Then again, when you've got the fastest man on two wheels (over 200m) in the squad, you have to make the most out of it.

Fixed :wink:

I agree with the rest of your comments though.
  • Cumulonimbus
    Cumulonimbus Posts: 1,730
    van Garderen came 3rd in the Dauphine last year at the age of just 21 (was 22 in august). It wasnt the strongest field and he did struggle on alpe d'huez but that has to point to GC potential in GTs in the coming years. He finished a respectable 34th in the vuelta - maybe it was a bit early for him to aim properly at a GT, especially as they had Cav in the race and Velits for the overall. Great prospect for the future.
  • If, as seems probable given his current relationship with Stapleton, Cavendish leaves, HTC may well become a GC team based around the riders mentioned, particularly van Garderen.
  • TMR
    If, as seems probable given his current relationship with Stapleton, Cavendish leaves, HTC may well become a GC team based around the riders mentioned, particularly van Garderen.

All the gossip's coming out today...

What issues exist between Mark and Bob?
  • rick_chasey
    If, as seems probable given his current relationship with Stapleton, Cavendish leaves, HTC may well become a GC team based around the riders mentioned, particularly van Garderen.

All the gossip's coming out today...

What issues exist between Mark and Bob?

As far as I know: money.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    Damiano Cunego is on a higher salary than Cavendish.

As Stapleton is likely to say, you do the math.
  • rick_chasey
    andyp wrote:

It's a fair point.

Getting as much as you can is a little more imperetive for sports people since their period of proper earning from their career is small (i.e. between early 20s to early to mid 30s).
  • pedro118118
    andyp wrote:

As he should be, given DC has won the Giro D'Italia, white jersey at the Tour, Tour of Lombardy (twice), Amstel Gold Race etc. Not to mention Vuelta stages and podium places at LBL, Fleche Wallone.........

And he's the star rider on an Italian team, with Italian sponsors in Italy, where cycling is very high profile and commercially attractive.

Now if it transpired that Cav was earning less then his peers - Farrar, Bennati, Greipel et al, then complaints would be justified.

I'd be amazed if he didn't end up with a fat contract at Sky next season - especially if Sky continue to do well and deliver sprint results for the likes of Henderson, Sutton, Swift, EBH etc.
  • LangerDan
    LangerDan Posts: 6,132
    andyp wrote:

Part of the problem with the cost of Cav is than its not just the cost of Cav. Bob needs to keep the Hendersons and Renshaws well paid so that they'll a) supress their own ambitions to serve others (viz Big George) and b) won't piss off to other squads and become potential rivals. Stapleton has a finite budget- more for Cav means less for other riders, particularly if HTC wish to maintain such a high-quality leadout train, not to mention looking after their GC riders..

Can't understand how Cav isn't picking up more endorsement work. Nico Roche is all over the French comics at Tour time, promoting webshops and the like.
    'This week I 'ave been mostly been climbing like Basso - Shirley Basso.'
  • pedro118118
    LangerDan wrote:
    andyp wrote:

Part of the problem with the cost of Cav is than its not just the cost of Cav. Bob needs to keep the Hendersons and Renshaws well paid so that they'll a) supress their own ambitions to serve others (viz Big George) and b) won't piss off to other squads and become potential rivals. Stapleton has a finite budget- more for Cav means less for other riders, particularly if HTC wish to maintain such a high-quality leadout train, not to mention looking after their GC riders..

Can't understand how Cav isn't picking up more endorsement work. Nico Roche is all over the French comics at Tour time, promoting webshops and the like.

He has his Oakley and Nike deals and no doubt, now he's on Spesh, he'll be all over their new "amspecialized.com" campaign. In terms of appeal, Cav needs to a) expand his palmares and b) win the green jersey before he can demand the "quan". Or sign for Sky, as that deal would set him up for life - irrespective of results (as per Wiggo).