At long last...

EKE_38BPM
EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
I've finished building my fixie. Yay!!!

My gearing needs changing as I'm currently running 34:16 (even spinnier than the Vitamin) but I wanted to get out on the road. I didn't realise just how bad it would be on the downhills. Trip to the LBS coming up after posting this to pick up a new sprocket.

I'm also using the original saddle from the Vitamin. I know the Vit is a cheap bike with cheap components, but that saddle is truly awful. My nuts are killing me. When I get home the Selle Italia Gel Flow Flite will be going back on.

I went for a shake-down test ride and two immediate problems came to light.
1: Front brake (well, only brake) was loose and a spring flew out somewhere on the shake-down. Pretty good news actually as it turns out the brake was knackered after 10 years on the OCR so the brand new Sora brake assembly stepped in and I now have a fully functioning brake.
2: Non drive side crank arm felt a little loose. Mental note made to repair when I got home. 30 seconds later the crank fell off in the road and the socket to fix it was just about the only tool I didn't have on me.

Final fettling needed:
New sprocket to be bought and fitted
Saddle to be replaced
Handlebar to be adjusted (maybe even chop a little more off) and bar tape to be applied
Reflectives to be stuck on
Mudguards to be bought and fitted (eventually)

Building this bike has been a long, slow process but its now done. Now to learn to ride fixed. I've now done about 10 miles and only had a few fixie moments (so far). Leg braking is a stupid idea as is riding brakeless.

Right, LBS...
FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!

Comments

• gtvlusso
    gtvlusso Posts: 5,112
    No pic - therefore it did not happen......

:-)
  • EKE_38BPM wrote:
    2: Non drive side crank arm felt a little loose. Mental note made to repair when I got home. 30 seconds later the crank fell off in the road and the socket to fix it was just about the only tool I didn't have on me.

One legged drills on a fixie - nice!
    EKE_38BPM wrote:
    Building this bike has been a long, slow process but its now done. Now to learn to ride fixed. I've now done about 10 miles and only had a few fixie moments (so far). Leg braking is a stupid idea as is riding brakeless.

I once read that riding fixed in London is about as sensible as wearing a broken watch - it's right for two seconds a day, and no more.
    Swim. Bike. Run. Yeah. That's what I used to do.

Bike 1
    Bike 2-A
  • itboffin
    itboffin Posts: 20,064
    Them's some crazy mechanic skillZ u got there dude LOL
    Rule #5 // Harden The Feck Up.
    Rule #9 // If you are out riding in bad weather, it means you are a badass. Period.
    Rule #12 // The correct number of bikes to own is n+1.
    Rule #42 // A bike race shall never be preceded with a swim and/or followed by a run.
  • _Brun_
    _Brun_ Posts: 1,740
    If leg braking is a stupid idea then so is not having a back brake.

That's you told :P