I've just given blood!!!

fenboy369
fenboy369 Posts: 425
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
And the lovely lady told me I shouldnt go to the gym tonight, as I might faint or get bruising.

Que an evening of sitting on the sofa eating bill-tong and drinking beer...... :D:lol::D
'11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
'11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
'09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
'07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8

Comments

• jonginge
    jonginge Posts: 5,945
    fenboy369 wrote:
    And the lovely lady told me I shouldnt go to the gym tonight, as I might faint or get bruising.

Que an evening of sitting on the sofa eating bill-tong and drinking beer...... :D:lol::D
    Well you do need to replenish that blood plasma... :D
    FCN 2-4 "Shut up legs", Jens Voigt
    Planet-x Scott
    Rides
  • Mr Plum
    Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
    Nice one. Last time I tried I passed out and they told me to give it a few years :oops:
    FCN 2 to 8
  • gbsahne001
    gbsahne001 Posts: 1,973
    get to give blood tomorrow followed by a gentle 4 miles back home
  • Who'd you give it to? Someone told me Riccardo Ricco was after some, then I heard he already had a fridge full. :shock:
    Nobody told me we had a communication problem
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Really must get back to giving blood. I did for a few years then after a course of accupuncture and chiropractics I wasn't allowed to give for 2 years (due to the accupuncture), splitting up with my ex, moving back home, meeting the current and moving in with him has meant I have forgotten to get back to the vampires for my donations.

Always enjoyed the tea and gluten free cakes at my donor sessions :lol:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i dont like needles but feel compelled to watch them suck my vital fluids out, i havent given blood yet, but had plenty of blood tests etc

whats it like given it?
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    I'm booked in for monday... I always try to pump the blood out as quick as possible... that's right Silly Blood Racing or some such. quick cuppa, a biscuit then home.
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • roger_merriman
    roger_merriman Posts: 6,165
    can't say I ever notice any lack of performace from giving blood last time i gave blood a foolish FCN 2 crossed my path heh!
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    Must be that time of year. I'm booked in for tomorrow morning.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Kieran_Burns
    Kieran_Burns Posts: 9,757
    I go a peculiar shade of green whenever needles are brought near me.... so much so that one time I had to give a blood sample, the nurse took pity on me and got another nurse to hold onto me.

Actually it wasn't so bad - she was rather buxom and buried my head in her chest. I kid you not - I have NO recollection of the needle going in. :lol:
    Chunky Cyclists need your love too! :-)
    2009 Specialized Tricross Sport
    2011 Trek Madone 4.5
    2012 Felt F65X
    Proud CX Pervert and quiet roadie. 12 mile commuter
  • veronese68
    veronese68 Posts: 27,776
    2 threads about giving blood on the go. I really must go and give them some of mine if they'll take it. Feeling guilty enough to overcome my recent fear of needles.
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    I have a few times, often go pale and shaky [girly] though for a minute after. I'm pretty white already, it's quite impressive, in danger of blinding people. Need to get back into the habit.
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • For those of a certain age Tony Hancock's Blood Donor sketch will bring back some happy memories. One to enjoy over lunch perhaps...

Part 2
    Part 3
  • fenboy369
    fenboy369 Posts: 425
    Hmmm, seems that trying to replenish the red blood cells with chianti wasnt too hot an idea. :oops: Makes you feel v.rough the day after....
    That aside, I have been donating blood for ages, the van comes round to work and we do it in work time, which I think is a great idea. That was donation number 26 for me.
    To answer those questions about how it feels, well, I'll be honest. There is a little scratch as they put the needle in, and it occasionally feels 'slightly uncomfortable'. But what is 5 or 6 minutes of slight uncomfort compared to the good it will do somebody who really needs it? And I have fallen asleep once whilst donating, so it cant be that bad!
    '11 Cannondale Synapse 105CD - FCN 4
    '11 Schwinn Corvette - FCN 15?
    '09 Pitch Comp - FCN (why bother?) 11
    '07 DewDeluxe (Bent up after being run over) - FCN 8
  • dhope
    dhope Posts: 6,699
    fenboy369 wrote:
    Hmmm, seems that trying to replenish the red blood cells with chianti wasnt too hot an idea. :oops: Makes you feel v.rough the day after....
    That aside, I have been donating blood for ages, the van comes round to work and we do it in work time, which I think is a great idea. That was donation number 26 for me.
    To answer those questions about how it feels, well, I'll be honest. There is a little scratch as they put the needle in, and it occasionally feels 'slightly uncomfortable'. But what is 5 or 6 minutes of slight uncomfort compared to the good it will do somebody who really needs it? And I have fallen asleep once whilst donating, so it cant be that bad!

Couldn't imagine falling asleep while giving blood. Weirdo.
    Though I did doze off in an MRI machine before, and they're pretty noisy :oops:
    Rose Xeon CW Disc
    CAAD12 Disc
    Condor Tempo
  • gbsahne001
    fenboy369 wrote:

+1...I think I must be on 29 or 30, might ask tonight
  • MonkeyMonster
    MonkeyMonster Posts: 4,629
    Not allowed to :( even with O-

Too many weird and wonderful drugs in my system.
    Le Cannon [98 Cannondale M400] [FCN: 8]
    The Mad Monkey [2013 Hoy 003] [FCN: 4]
  • kieranb
    kieranb Posts: 1,674
    I alway go for the cheese and onion flavoured crisps and the bourbon biscuits if available. A quick scalding cup of tea or coffee and then back to work. Once brought my children with me to a local sesson, they loved it, they got loads of attention and cadbury's cream eggs, as it was near Easter.
  • bunter
    bunter Posts: 327
    For those of a certain age Tony Hancock's Blood Donor sketch will bring back some happy memories. One to enjoy over lunch perhaps...

Part 2
    Part 3

I gave blood, passed out, hit my head and had to be carted off to casualty for 8 stitches in my eyebrow. It then turned out that I have a rare blood group and am now pursued by the donation service...

I did think of hancock at the time
  • veronese68
    I felt guilty for not having done so, felt guilty and called them up. Turns out I'm not allowed to, ever again. Similar to Monkey Monster I guess, too many drugs pumped through me by the NHS a while back. I'm really quite upset by that as I feel I should give something back.
  • Veronese68 wrote:
    I felt guilty for not having done so, felt guilty and called them up. Turns out I'm not allowed to, ever again. Similar to Monkey Monster I guess, too many drugs pumped through me by the NHS a while back. I'm really quite upset by that as I feel I should give something back.

bone marrow?

a kidney?

corneas?

..... you may want to wait until after you die first...
  • gbsahne001
    The American red cross has a blanket ban on UK / European citizens giving blood and American citizens who have been to Europe for 6 months or so, possibly due to contracting CJD.
  • mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    do they all think we have madcows disease?

when was the last case of that?

id be more worried about catching "lardarse syndrome" off them!
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • veronese68
    Coincidentally I had a leaflet drop through the door about becoming an organ donor. The EPO was about to chuck it out but I stopped her and said I would fill it in. Hopefully they will wait until I'm pushing up daisies before they cut anything out of me. At least I won't care if they reject bits of me.
  • Oddjob62
    Oddjob62 Posts: 1,056
    21st donation done. Think it was a record for me timewise... had barely even got comfortable when the "all done" buzzer sounded.
    As yet unnamed (Dolan Seta)
    Joelle (Focus Expert SRAM)
  • Libraio
    Libraio Posts: 181
    gbsahne wrote:
    The American red cross has a blanket ban on UK / European citizens giving blood and American citizens who have been to Europe for 6 months or so, possibly due to contracting CJD.

This is the same reason I'm not alowed to give blood and I'm living in The Netherlands. Because of mad cows in Britain and the fact that I went on too many holidays over there they won't take my blood. Poor me... :wink: They can harvest everything when I'm gone though.
    The Commuter: 2009 Trek District
    The John Deere: 2011 Van Dessel WTF