HGVs in Bus lanes!?

Sewinman
Sewinman Posts: 2,131
edited March 2011 in Commuting chat
Yesterday I was approaching Vauxhall Cross east bound on Nine Elms Lane. Just before the new St George development an HGV pulled into the bus lane (my lane), he cut me up and I had to slam on the brakes and pull hard to the left to avoid getting crushed against the kerb. Scary. Did not clock the name of the construction company - but it was a common brand name with a green livery.

Anway, I looked down at the road and the bus lane said 'Bus lane & HGV' or similiar. How can that be a good idea!? :evil:

I called him a t*sser at the lights and he flipped me the bird.

Comments

• Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    HGVs are allowed into the bus lane along that stretch as bus numbers on the route are low (that was the original justification IIRC). At least the Nine Elms HGV/Bus lane is mercifully short. It's certainly not a great situation, but HGV/bus lanes are few and far between.

Glad you had the wherewithal to escape the situation.

It also makes it problematic if a HGV driver does not signal his intent to enter a bus lane:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tNsCXL6WLg
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    How new or old is this? I used to commute along that route - changed to Embankment, particularly because of V Cross - and got squeezed on the approach to the traffic lights countless times.

Good job you got out of the way.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • Origamist
    Origamist Posts: 807
    I think it was in the Nineties, but I could be mistaken.
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    In Exeter they allow Taxis into the bus lanes, this can lead to some buttock clenching moments for cyclists :shock: :shock:
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men
  • Sewinman
    Sewinman Posts: 2,131
    It is not a new thing I don't think. I generally find N.E.L less hairy than the Embankment. I often wonder why most of you guys take Embankment - it seems to have lots of traffic lights, bad road surface, no cycle lane, roundabouts, cars overtaking in same lane, parked cars, dark in places etc. Never liked it. Why does it get so much love on here?
  • Clever Pun
    Clever Pun Posts: 6,778
    NGale wrote:
    In Exeter they allow Taxis into the bus lanes, this can lead to some buttock clenching moments for cyclists :shock: :shock:

that's pretty standard as a rule

I've seen a few bus lanes that allow hgv's as well but have never had the pleasure of mixing it up yet
    Purveyor of sonic doom

Very Hairy Roadie - FCN 4
    Fixed Pista- FCN 5
    Beared Bromptonite - FCN 14
  • NGale
    NGale Posts: 1,866
    Clever Pun wrote:
    NGale wrote:

that's pretty standard as a rule

I've seen a few bus lanes that allow hgv's as well but have never had the pleasure of mixing it up yet

Have to say the motorists and bus drivers in Exeter are good with cyclists as a whole. It's the taxi drivers I fear, some of them are psychotic when faced with a cyclist
    Officers don't run, it's undignified and panics the men