Pashley Bicycles

TerrXL
TerrXL Posts: 10
edited March 2011 in Commuting general
Hi everyone.

I'm about to move down to London and intend to buy a new bike to commute into university every day. It should only be about 4 miles round trip plus a few errands here and there during the day all on relatively flat ground.

I've never owned a nice bike (had two that were stolen which cost £50 each, second hand) and with my impending graduation I thought I'd reward myself with a nice old fashioned Pashley to bring back memories of English summers spent in the countryside. No doubt I'll need those sweet memories of sunshine for the 350 days of rain we get each year.

I don't want to overspend and I don't really know if I need a bicycle with a gear system. I've only ever ridden one without gears and the thing was a very old Raleigh bike that was a nightmare to ride on even on flat ground.

Should I buy a 3 hub, 5 hub or higher? Or do I not even need gears at all?

Someone please help :oops:

Comments

• Moodyman
    Moodyman Posts: 158
    You don't really need gears on a flat terrain, but you might miss them if you go further afields where there are hills.

If you get gears, then a 5-speed will give you more options should you need 'em.
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hi,
    This isn't really my area but... If you're constantly stopping & starting from lights then I would have thought at least one lower gear would be helpful on a heavy bike like a Pashley. They are pretty pricey anyway.. does adding a hub gear increase the cost by a significant percentage?

Cheers,
    W.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    Why get a pashley, they weigh an absolute tonne.

The electra bikes are far better built and a lot lighter (mainly due to the aluminium frames) and ride an awful lot better.
  • Berk Bonebonce
    Berk Bonebonce Posts: 1,245
    edited March 2011
    Pashley trade on their name and its association with the romance of cycling. But, as someone has already pointed out, Pashley's weigh a tonne. Bike design has moved on, only Pashley haven't.

When you are next in London maybe hire one of the TFL bikes. That is where design is at the moment in terms of city bikes, and you will note that they are not made by Pashley.

The next thing 'up' from a city bike would be a more lightweight offering - something with an aluminium frame and something with gears, as exemplified by something like a Dawes Saratoga. I use one of these in city traffic. I've put slick tyres on, full mudguards and a rack.

Bike theft is a huge problem. If they can't nick the entire bike they usually take bits off it. Better to think in terms of 'utility' rather than 'flash'.
  • TerrXL
    Thanks for your advice everyone.

I did already know that Pashleys weigh quite a lot as the frames are made of steel (I think). The Pashley I want comes with 5 speed hub gears and costs just under £600.

If I were to purchase a single gear bicycle I wouldn't consider Pashley as it would be overpriced and heavy like you've all mentioned. I like Pashley not because of its romanticised image but because it's made in England. It sounds silly but I feel like it's the only British bike company that hasn't moved its factories to China. The corresponding Electra model also has a steel frame so probably wouldn't be too different weight wise.

With 5 gears am I going to notice the weight on flats? I'm not looking to ride fast but I don't want it to feel like a battle either.
  • The 5 speed is hub is a good idea if you ever plan on longer rides. I've ridden to Brighton and done the Dunwich Dynamo with mine. On the flat these bikes are like riding an armchair and really put a smile on your face.
    The extra gears are useful at both ends, I bought my 5 speed (not a pashley but a similar velorbis) with the intention of using it just for little pub rides... But it's so nice to ride I commute almost all the time on it, and just love it.
    The main downside of the weight and size is if you have to haul it upstairs regularly.
  • squeeler
    squeeler Posts: 144
    My wife has a pashley (5speed hub gear Sonnet Bliss), before that she had a 3 speed far east made shopper style bike (Summer Picnic) in aluminium that was so much lighter.

I have to admit I'm impressed, but more importantly she prefers it because the look and feel of the Pashley appeals to her, it is heavier but it is very nice to ride compared to her previous bike maybe partly due to having a few extra gears, which was your main question.
    I too want to support British bike manufacturers but a Pashley is a step to far on a non shopper style bike so personally I've gone for a Genesis Day One Alfine instead. A Pashley probably isn't the sensible choice but if you fancy one then why not? However, there are several British manufacturers out there who aren't stuck in the 1930's.
  • TerrXL
    Thanks everyone. I booked a test ride with my local shop.
  • jeremyrundle
    jeremyrundle Posts: 1,014
    TerrXL wrote:
    Thanks for your advice everyone.

I did already know that Pashleys weigh quite a lot as the frames are made of steel (I think). The Pashley I want comes with 5 speed hub gears and costs just under £600.

It isn't just a case of "heavy because it is steel". I have a Sanderson life frame (MTB), madefromf Reynolds 853 steel, possibly the best and made in the Uk, but just because it is steel has nothing to do with the weight, it weighs less than my alloy MTB, and the finish is superb.

Though you are looking at £400 just for the frame.

http://sanderson-cycles.com/content/sanderson-life

Cheap steel frames can weigh a lot more, you also need to look at finish.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    squeeler wrote:
    However, there are several British manufacturers out there who aren't stuck in the 1930's.

And none of them make frames in the UK......... (except Orange but I doubt the OP wants to spend 2k on a full suspension MTB!)

Unless you go handmade - Bob Jacksons can be had for a decent price - frame for £400 which isn't much for a handmade in the UK frame. You do have to pay more though if you want bespoke geometry.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php?cPath=28

Mind you, not sure this is the sort of thing the OP wants either!
    It isn't just a case of "heavy because it is steel". I have a Sanderson life frame (MTB), madefromf Reynolds 853 steel, possibly the best and made in the Uk, but just because it is steel has nothing to do with the weight, it weighs less than my alloy MTB, and the finish is superb.

Sorry - Sandersons are not made in the UK. Your frame is probably made in Taiwan.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • stuaff
    stuaff Posts: 1,736
    Rolf F wrote:
    squeeler wrote:
    However, there are several British manufacturers out there who aren't stuck in the 1930's.

And none of them make frames in the UK......... (except Orange but I doubt the OP wants to spend 2k on a full suspension MTB!)

Unless you go handmade - Bob Jacksons can be had for a decent price - frame for £400 which isn't much for a handmade in the UK frame. You do have to pay more though if you want bespoke geometry.

http://www.bobjacksoncycles.co.uk/default.php?cPath=28

Mind you, not sure this is the sort of thing the OP wants either!

Moulton too, including the TSR models built at the Pashley factory. Those are a little out of the OP's budget, let alone a New Series......!!!!
    Dahon Speed Pro TT; Trek Portland
    Viner Magnifica '08 ; Condor Squadra
    LeJOG in aid of the Royal British Legion. Please sponsor me at http://www.bmycharity.com/stuaffleck2011