Mumsnet

2»

Comments

• What are all the strange acronyms they use? I figured AIBU and YIBU are am I or you are being unreasonable, but DD, DS , DS1, DC...? Directeur Sportif?!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    What are all the strange acronyms they use? I figured AIBU and YIBU are am I or you are being unreasonable, but DD, DS , DS1, DC...? Directeur Sportif?!
    You have just outed yourself as An Outsider in the Forum
  • guinea
    guinea Posts: 1,177
    DH = Dear Husband
    DS = Dear Son
    etc...
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    iainf72 wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:
    The only forum on the internet scarier than 4chan.

Meh. They all pale next to The Clinic.

The Clinic is mental. But for full on insanity there is nothing like the Rapture Ready forum. I defy anyone to top it.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    But for full on insanity there is nothing like the Rapture Ready forum. I defy anyone to top it.
    :o ...I think we may have a winner!
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • Sorry, but I think that Mumsnet is scarier...just read the thread about 11 year olds going to their 'prom' in limos....it's enough to make you hope that the Rapture Ready guys are right.
  • secretsqizz
    secretsqizz Posts: 424
    @ on now... sticking her oar in about jobs and wanting kids .. courtesy
    Radio 5L ...
    Time of incident 18 :55

keep the reports coming in ...
    this menace must be stopped
    My pen won't write on the screen
  • NWLondoner
    NWLondoner Posts: 2,047
    I can't mention the actual post/forum but my god the amount of venomous,spiteful, hateful people on Mums net is shocking!!! They all came across as a bunch of do gooders who never do anything wrong and ANYONE who criticises a mother is not worthy of being alive.

It makes RLJ posts on LFGSS look like a sunday school :wink:
  • MichaelW
    MichaelW Posts: 2,164
    "Speaking as a mother....."
    Are there any more frightening words in the English language? There is no defence against them. They win any argument hands down.
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Pross wrote:
    Better than a pole dancer isn't it (although less money)!

And more clothes...

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • MichaelW wrote:
    Are there any more frightening words in the English language? There is no defence against them. They win any argument hands down.

According to the late John Peel, the scariest phrase in the English language was...

"And now for something specially commissioned by Radio 3"

He was right.
  • jrduquemin
    jrduquemin Posts: 791
    RichN95 wrote:
    But for full on insanity there is nothing like the Rapture Ready forum. I defy anyone to top it.
    :o ...I think we may have a winner!

Now that is some scary sh!t!! The end is nigh etc....
    2010 Lynskey R230
    2013 Yeti SB66
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,576
    MichaelW wrote:

Ah, now that's the whole issue. Mumsnet people seem to think that anyone who is a mother shares their opinions and that they therefore speak for them, totally ignoring the fact that the best part of half the world's population are / will be mothers!
  • Pross wrote:
    MichaelW wrote:

Ah, now that's the whole issue. Mumsnet people seem to think that anyone who is a mother shares their opinions and that they therefore speak for them, totally ignoring the fact that the best part of half the world's population are / will be mothers!

Or indeed being a mother in some way makes you know what's best for your children despite your level of knowledge, skills, experience and rational thought.
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,729
    Or indeed being a mother in some way makes you know what's best for your children despite your level of knowledge, skills, experience and rational thought.

It's takes a lot of mental fortitude and self assurance to able to genuinely consider your own thoughts and opinions about something as personal as parenting your own child to be inferior to another and do something about it.

That's a badly written sentence but you get the idea.

To be honest, if you can do that, then you probably are a very able parent.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Err, no I don't! And I am a mentally fortified, self-assured and able parent
  • rick_chasey
    bompington wrote:
    Err, no I don't! And I am a mentally fortified, self-assured and able parent

OK. In short, everyone think they're right.

It takes a lot to realise you're probably not and genuinely take advice.
  • Or indeed being a mother in some way makes you know what's best for your children despite your level of knowledge, skills, experience and rational thought.

It's takes a lot of mental fortitude and self assurance to able to genuinely consider your own thoughts and opinions about something as personal as parenting your own child to be inferior to another and do something about it.

To be honest, if you can do that, then you probably are a very able parent.

Sheesh! I was merely pointing out that being a parent does not qualify you to automatically know what is best for your child. Unless having sex and then having a very wide fufu somehow gives you medical, social and child psychology qualifications?!
    What wheels...? Wheelsmith.co.uk!
  • rick_chasey
    Sheesh! I was merely pointing out that being a parent does not qualify you to automatically know what is best for your child. Unless having sex and then having a very wide fufu somehow gives you medical, social and child psychology qualifications?!

Fair enough.
  • maryka
    maryka Posts: 748
    Clearly this thread needs a woman's opinion. :roll:

Mumsnet's in general been pretty handy for me, at 6 months pregnant and a foreigner to this wonky little island, to get a handle on the whole pregnancy/childbirth thing. Lots of interesting stories and experiences, good info. And usually posted by people with a brain -- aka not prefaced with "hun", made up of textspeak and finished off with a million x's for hugs. Erm, so not a chavvy forum like most of the parenting ones, if I may say that.

AIBU is definitely over the top most of the time but also an interesting visit to the social norms of this country like the school run (wtf is that about, driving your kids 5 miles to school? ofsted? faking addresses to get them into one school over another?), how few fathers actually pay maintenance, what the point of a council house is, the difference between Waitrose and Asda, and that sort of thing. Call it a cultural study if you will.

I've never seen/heard it on the BBC, I don't find myself offended by it, and I could care less why a bunch of men seem so affronted by a women's forum. You guys need to ride more I think.
  • snailracer
    snailracer Posts: 968
    maryka wrote:
    Clearly this thread needs a woman's opinion. :roll:

Mumsnet's in general been pretty handy for me, at 6 months pregnant ...and I could care less why a bunch of men seem so affronted by a women's forum. You guys need to ride more I think.

We can all safely ignore your opinion because your brain has shrunk :wink:

http://tobeinformed.com/40/does-the-bra ... pregnancy/
  • AIBU is definitely over the top most of the time but also an interesting visit to the social norms of this country like the school run (wtf is that about, driving your kids 5 miles to school? ofsted? faking addresses to get them into one school over another?), how few fathers actually pay maintenance, what the point of a council house is, the difference between Waitrose and Asda, and that sort of thing. Call it a cultural study if you will.

Also parents pretending to be religious, so they can get their kids into an apparently better school – my brother and sister-in-law being prime examples. Anyway, back on topic....
  • Graculus
    Graculus Posts: 107
    In another incarnation I'm a mumsnetter, but I do tend to agree with the OP about the amount of airtime they get.

The views on mumsnet, on all manner of subjects, vary hugely, it is therefore always possible for a journalist to find a thread to back up the story they are writing. However, that doesn't reflect the fact that not everyone on mumsnet agrees with it. Topics such as private education and working mums have strong views on both sides of the arguement.

I also agree that mums can be mental, although I can't remember now in which order it happened in my case. Just you try watching the Thomas and the Magic Railway DVD more than once and see if your brain emerges unscathed!
  • EKE_38BPM
    EKE_38BPM Posts: 5,821
    maryka wrote:
    You guys need to ride more I think.

But that could lead to more pregnancies and more women on Mumsnet.

Oh, you meant bikes....
    FCN 3: Raleigh Record Ace fixie-to be resurrected sometime in the future
    FCN 4: Planet X Schmaffenschmack 2- workhorse
    FCN 9: B Twin Vitamin - winter commuter/loan bike for trainees

I'm hungry. I'm always hungry!