PTP: Should we ban Contador

calvjones
calvjones Posts: 3,850
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Even if there's confusion in Madrid on the concept of strict liability, there's none here.

I know we have doping rules. but this feels like a special case.

It seems to me by the time he's banned Bertie could have b***** up the winning chances of anyone who's not prepared to pick him. Without him. PTP becomes more exciting and unpredictable.

So come on, he's going to ruin my Giro already; don't let him ruin PTP :evil:

Strava is not Zen.

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Nah - PTP is about what happens on the road.

If Contador is on the road, he's part of the racing.

End of.

Don't let PTP get sucked into the dirty vicious cycle of doping as well. It's the final bastion of pure racing content on the site!
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,462
    I agree with Rick.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Absolutely not. If he's part of the race, he has an impact on how that race develops and other riders' chances. Fully agree with Rick here.

I also don't see why Contador should be a special case. We didn't do anything similar with Valverde when he was clearly about to be banned. What about Mosquera? And there are scores of riders we all have our different ideas of dodginess of.
    When I pick a rider that has nothing to do with whether or not I approve of that rider, like them, or think they should be there.
  • jimmythecuckoo
    jimmythecuckoo Posts: 4,716
    +1, he has to be included for me.
  • secretsqirrel
    secretsqirrel Posts: 2,041
    +1

The purity of the prediction game must be preserved.
  • Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    He's going to ride the Giro and looks like a red hot favourite. But would you pick him for PTP knowing his case could be subject to appeal and that at some point in June he could get a ban and even ejected mid race?

I'd say "no ban" but pick him at your peril.

For what it's worth if I can't decide between two PTP picks then I always ask "which one is dirtier" and go for him. It usually pays off :twisted:
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Kléber wrote:
    I'd say "no ban" but pick him at your peril.
    +1
  • stjohnswell
    stjohnswell Posts: 482
    PTP is not a politcal movement, Bertie & Co. should be kept in the mix.

Well done for propsing the question though. It demostrates the tension between ethical considerations and the quest for results that all sponsors, DSes and riders face. If they're subject to these tensions and trials of conscience, then so must we be.

It will be interesting to explore of the integrity of the forum and see if there is any overlap between those that normally condemn drug cheats & those that pick them for PTP.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    It will be interesting to explore of the integrity of the forum and see if there is any overlap between those that normally condemn drug cheats & those that pick them for PTP.

I don't see the two things are the same at all. PTP is about picking who you think will win - no more no less. It's not about picking who you want to win or deserves to win.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • calvjones
    RichN95 wrote:

I don't see the two things are the same at all. PTP is about picking who you think will win - no more no less. It's not about picking who you want to win or deserves to win.

Not its not. It's about picking who you want to win, or identifying a rising star that no-one else has noticed and basking in the approbation of the dunderhead Bertie-ticking masses (ah, the heady days of Schleckette in the Giro!)

Its this focus and ethical dedication that's kept me at the top of the PTP tree for four years.

Eh?

Oh.

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    Also, doped or not doped, if they're in the race, they affect the outcome.

It's impossible to remove their addition to the race, and how it pans out.

What if Contador buries himself for a teammate? is that included in the PTP result?

It just can't work.

A pundit is supposed to guess the winner. If they're in it, they can win it.
  • calvjones

What if Contador buries himself for a teammate? is that included in the PTP result?

Good point. Not that he will. In fact, the only person I can remember him burying himself for was Valverde!

Strava is not Zen.
  • rick_chasey
    calvjones wrote:

Good point. Not that he will. In fact, the only person I can remember him burying himself for was Valverde!

What if he's in a break, or someone like Cadel wastes energy chases a Contador attack?

Inclusion in the race has infitinte possible affects on the race that can't be quantitfied or removed.
  • calvjones
    calvjones wrote:

Good point. !
    ......... ^^^^^^^^ This :wink:

Strava is not Zen.
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    I see where Calv is coming from. He did pick Van den Broecke in the Tour last year, which in a way is more of an achievement than going with the herd and settling for Contador's easy points.

But I agree with the others, though. PTP is about picking winners, and it's not our job to decide who's allowed to race and who should be made persona non grata. If Bertie races the Giro and then gets banned in June, he's already messed up the race for the other riders and affected the final GC. Like Rick says, his actions on the road affect the tactics and the performances of everyone else.

Plus like stjohnswell says, PTP should be politically neutral. If we veto Bert for ethical grounds, why not Vinokourov, Basso, Scarponi and so on...
  • bazbadger
    bazbadger Posts: 553
    Can't we have PTD* as a way through this?

Then everyone is happy - PTP hots up and we also have a new area of Punditry™

*Pro Tour Doper
    Mens agitat molem
  • victorponf
    victorponf Posts: 1,187
    FJS wrote:
    Absolutely not. If he's part of the race, he has an impact on how that race develops and other riders' chances. Fully agree with Rick here.

I also don't see why Contador should be a special case. We didn't do anything similar with Valverde when he was clearly about to be banned. What about Mosquera? And there are scores of riders we all have our different ideas of dodginess of.
    When I pick a rider that has nothing to do with whether or not I approve of that rider, like them, or think they should be there.

+ 1
    If you like Flandes, Roubaix or Eroica, you would like GP Canal de Castilla, www.gpcanaldecastilla.com
  • deejay
    deejay Posts: 3,138
    afx237vi wrote:
    But I agree with the others, though. PTP is about picking winners, and it's not our job to decide who's allowed to race and who should be made persona non grata. If Bertie races the Giro and then gets banned in June, he's already messed up the race for the other riders and affected the final GC. Like Rick says, his actions on the road affect the tactics and the performances of everyone else.

Plus like stjohnswell says, PTP should be politically neutral. .
    Political Neutral, please
    The race is ridden and the PTP points awarded and we move on to the next choices.

I think afx will have enough to do keeping up with those choices and not being asked to go back over the work again to make amendments. :roll:
    Organiser, National Championship 50 mile Time Trial 1972
  • calvjones
    deejay wrote:
    afx237vi wrote:

Plus like stjohnswell says, PTP should be politically neutral. .
    Political Neutral, please
    The race is ridden and the PTP points awarded and we move on to the next choices.

I think afx will have enough to do keeping up with those choices and not being asked to go back over the work again to make amendments. :roll:

I accept the tyranny of the majority but I wasn't asking afx to go back and amend anything, just discount the Bertster from upcoming race results. So no need for :roll:

Strava is not Zen.
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 43,207
    Can we ban all dopers from PTP and I'll have Cav for all races likely to end in a gallop and Cuddles for all the others :wink:
  • Arkibal
    Arkibal Posts: 850
    You can throw him out, but I'll still pick him in certain races. :P
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Seems to be a pretty stupid thing to even argue about. The AC thing happened and it ended in a certain way. Get on with your lives. :roll: :roll:
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,241
    dennisn wrote:
    Seems to be a pretty stupid thing to even argue about.

PTP is never stupid. It's very serious. Have you seen the rainbow bands on Kleber's avatar (nice touch btw)? We all want those.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • afx237vi
    afx237vi Posts: 12,630
    dennisn wrote:
    Seems to be a pretty stupid thing to even argue about. The AC thing happened and it ended in a certain way. Get on with your lives. :roll: :roll:

Not going to join in this year Den? You'd have to start taking an interest in cycling, mind.
  • Ron Stuart
    Ron Stuart Posts: 1,242
    There is I'm afraid always a special case when money is involved, berty's the biggest money spinner since Lance and just look at the way Lance and the marketing men hijacked the Giro a couple of years back.
    If you had seen the media scrums in the recent Tour of the Algarve around berty as I did first hand you would understand that there is something a lot bigger going on than just a bike race.
    The mistake is to think that Contador is at fault here, it's a dysfunctional system that is at fault and what’s needed is a unified code with clear unambiguous guidelines under the control of a single world wide body. After all the UCI wants cycling to become more worldwide then why not a single transparent dope control organization that is also responsible for test and judgments and hopefully an end to passing the buck to some other so called other body where it interprets matters different to the next one.
    The only beneficiaries of this nonsense are the blood (money) sucking legals.
  • calvjones
    dennisn wrote:

busy much den?

Strava is not Zen.