UK Map for armchair planning

fishz
fishz Posts: 20
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
I'm going to go on my first real cycle tour this year. My mate and I are just gathering our gear and we'll go for a test run before doing something more substantial. The idea is to camp on proper sites, but wild camping could be interesting once we know what we're doing.

Does anybody have any recommendations for just one map (perhaps a book) that would be good to do some outline/armchair tour planning? I would like something that covers the whole of Britain, and gives some indication of hills/relief.

Having got some candidate routes, I plan on getting the OS maps to do the final route planning over a pint, but right now, we're kind of lacking inspiration.

(Hope there's nothing already posted by I couldn't find anything using search.)

Comments

• Get one of those GB atlas books - the AA do one. Mine was only a few quid.

I copy pages from it for touring as the scale is so good. (4 miles to an inch).
    It's an uphill climb to the bottom
  • fishz
    Thanks Cycadelic - I'll take a look at one. Do these definitely have have relief lines? I hadn't noticed before. One of the trips we've looked at is through the Highlands - I deffo want to go *through* and not over wherever possible!

Cheers
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    The AA one I have isn't height-shaded and doesn't have contours either.

I suggest you pop into one of those cheap book shops you find on most High Streets. Maybe the other makes have contours. Try Michelin.

BTW - my AA one was only 99p.
  • cycladelic
    cycladelic Posts: 641
    Forgot this - take a look at the Michelin online map service (link below).

Just type in a couple of places - start and destination - then click on 'bike route'. It will then show a way from A to B.

It does have basic height shading to give you some idea...

http://www.viamichelin.co.uk/web/Itineraires
  • thecrofter
    thecrofter Posts: 734
    Try mapmyride.co.uk

it gives you elevation profiles
    You've no won the Big Cup since 1902!
  • andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Try Michelin - but their UK map is 1:1,000,000 so I'm not sure it's going to be very helpful as far as terrain is concerned. I suggest that you either use the online maps, or buy 1:400,000 regional maps to cover the UK, or focus on one region.

I'm not sure how much help a map is in helping you decide where to go - as opposed to helping you decide how to get there.
  • plowmar
    plowmar Posts: 1,032
    The AA map book I use has arrows on the roads indicating steep ascents and descents in the direction of the arrows. Probably 17% +.
  • fishz
    Thanks for the tips guys. The viamichelin maps look really good for the detailed planning. I know that you can look at OS maps online free now too.

I put in an order for The Times Atlas of Britain, which I figure will last for a while and be useful for any domestic breaks. Bit pricey at Amazon, but can be had for £10 - £15.

Rapidly running out of reasons to be an *armchair* tourer but I know I'll have the naff weather to keep me indoors!