Dorking to Brighton March/April 2011

TimothyH
TimothyH Posts: 22
edited April 2011 in MTB rides
Is anyone keen for Dorking to Brighton offroad in the next few weeks?

Comments

• Might be up for that but would need to be on an alternate Sunday starting with this one. What dates have you in mind?
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • What about in 2 or 4 weeks time? 13th or 27th of March.
  • I've got STW Spring Sexy on the 20th so the next available date I have is April 3rd.
    This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.
  • TimothyH
    Let's aim for April 3rd then. Do you know the route? (I've got it on GPS, but don't know it.)
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    TimothyH - any chance you could send me the GPX of the route? I wouldn't mind doing this at some point and I'd like to see which route you take.

Cheers

Greg.
  • TimothyH
    Greg, I'll send you the route when I've done it, though there might be a bit of backtracking involved, if past experience is anything to go by. I'll be using this route:
    http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Dorking-Brighton
  • gregsd
    gregsd Posts: 328
    Thanks.
  • sandy hill
    sandy hill Posts: 390
    Just to publicly conform this is on for the 3rd.
  • sandy hill
    Problem

Assuming the return journey is by train? There is a replacement bus service after Redhill and cycle carriage is at the discretion of the driver.
  • TimothyH
    Yes, let's train back. I assume 'discretion of the driver' means it will depend on how full the bus is?
  • sandy hill
    More likely how cantankerous the driver is. However having checked with the train operator there are no maintenance works and no replacement bus service.

Who says this country can't run a railway?
  • TimothyH
    Sounds good.
  • TimothyH
    I see that Evans have a Woking ride on the same day - but it's 30 miles instead of the 53 that we'll be doing. I think the Dorking-Brighton sounds like more of an adventure.
  • TimothyH
    I just did this yesterday, a really excellent ride. Greg, I followed the route above pretty closely, it's a good one and almost all offroad. A long straight flat section in the middle along a disused railway, but once you get into the South Downs you'll get all the hills you want.