Feeling a little cramped on climbs - possible solutions plz

dynamis_dk
dynamis_dk Posts: 428
edited March 2011 in MTB general
I've been back out for the first time since xmas last weekend and although my fitness is way down low I found it just plain uncomfy trying to ride any sit down fireroad type hills.

I feel very over the bar, and when i sit down i seem to be leaning forward a lot.

I've been told to look at maybe getting a shorter stem but i'm already running a 70mm. Also thought on a layback type seatpost if this would help.

Its a large Santa Cruz Heckler and its great for the downs and rough stuff, it seems to pedal well and feels light to ride so i'm hoping i can sort it out.

What do we think i should be looking to try?? Maybe a higher rise stem worth a shot? Do I need to look towards 50mm stems??

Comments

• Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    Surely you want the bars lower and further forward, the opposite of what you said?
  • Feeling cramped can be caused by a few things - handlebars too close to the saddle (shorter stem tends to quicken the steering up and move your weight back - great for downs but not great for climbs) - does the front wheel feel as though it is lifting?

A longer stem will stretch you out a bit and put more weight on the front - fine for climbing as the front won't lift as much but it will 'slow' the steering down - I've not really felt much difference between stems myself but I have found wider bars make a lot more noticeable difference.

A layback seatpost? Would move you and inch or so further from the bars - is the saddle as far back on the seatpost as it can be?

If you try a higher rise stem you will sit up more and it may feel less cramped but you also then adjust your centre of gravity so the front end might feel light again...

I'd suggest a 90mm stem and see how that goes.

How tall are you? Is the frame the right size for you? I've got monkey arms and legs but a 'normal' sized body so I ride a large Marin (18.5" frame - my seatpost is on the minimum insertion mark due to my leg and arm lengths but the reach for my body is spot on...I'd suggest having a play around.

Lowering your bars will get you leaning more over the bike so might fix the cramp but also might make you feel in a more racey position and it might not be as comfy for the descents...
    The Quest for Singletrack is Endless...
  • Just try upping your seat post first. I assume from what you said your more down than up. So seat post may be too low. Try it, its a free and easy adjustment.
  • With the seat in what I'd call comfy spining height I feel like I'm bending forward to get the bars. The front doesn't feel light or lofty as I ride, just I feel a bit bunched up against the front.

Riding varies a lot depending on who I'm riding with but generally it trail centre stuff, Lee quarry, wharncliffe (admittedly not really a centre). I migh have a play with the seat this weekend and see how it feels in different positions on the rails.

I'm 6" and haven't really got overly long or short legs. I got the large as I rode a superlight before this and can't remember feeling too uncomfy.
  • With the seat in what I'd call comfy spining height I feel like I'm bending forward to get the bars. The front doesn't feel light or lofty as I ride, just I feel a bit bunched up against the front.

Riding varies a lot depending on who I'm riding with but generally it trail centre stuff, Lee quarry, wharncliffe (admittedly not really a centre). I migh have a play with the seat this weekend and see how it feels in different positions on the rails.

I'm 6" and haven't really got overly long or short legs. I got the large as I rode a superlight before this and can't remember feeling too uncomfy.
  • milfredo
    milfredo Posts: 322
    SC bikes can feel quite short. I found a laid back seat post helped me tune in my riding position as I didn't want to use a longer stem and comprimise the downs. Also moving the seat back on the rails can give you some room to play with.
  • ctrlaltdel
    ctrlaltdel Posts: 114
    This might not be appropriate for a santa cruz heckler, but I've always found bar ends to be invaluable when doing long straight distances/climbing where all you want to do is stretch out and turn those pedals. I you're not too concerned with image (this is coming from someone who happily pairs risers with bar ends...) then I'd give bar ends a go.