Shot Blasting.

The Northern Monkey
The Northern Monkey Posts: 19,174
edited March 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
Is it ok to have a frame professionally shot blasted?

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    not really.

media/bead balsting.

if you are going the poweder coat way most places will do it included.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Yeah i've just had a quote, he mentioned shot blasting included but I didn't think it would be suitable... i'm thinking too powerful?
    This place is on the way to work so is perfect. £10 more expensive than below though.
    I'll ask if they do bead blasting.

Got another place that will chemically strip and prepare the frame. Its cheaper, but further away and i'd have to drive there monday/friday unless I post it (not really wanting to do either TBH).
  • cavegiant
    cavegiant Posts: 1,546
    Northern, most treatments will thin a frame slightly.

If I remember correctly, you are a proper sized guy like me, do you really want to be weakening the frame?

One company I was dealing with said they could skip that step. The finish would not look as perfect (as any previous scratches would show through) but would keep the frame stronger.

I wasn't really convinced, but hey..
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?
  • I could probably do with losing a few g from the frame tbh :lol:
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Check what they mean by 'shot blasting' many coaters will say that but mean bead blasting.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Check what they mean by 'shot blasting' many coaters will say that but mean bead blasting.

Simon

yeah i've asked the question :)

Awaiting a reply! :D
  • Clark3y
    Clark3y Posts: 129
    How much is the going rate for powder coating a frame?
  • it will be meadia blasting using aluminium oxide grit does very little damage to the metal underneath,ive used it on everything from classic fords to motorbike frames.very fine media only removes paint and rust and we are talking microns here.check which grade they will use you can get this upto 280mesh very very fine and 320-1200 is classed as polishing powders which is used to get mirror finish.hope that helps
  • boydmtbrider
    Cheers for the info fella, thats very useful :)

Clark3y
    I've had a quote of £65 and £75.
    Both are stripped and sprayed.... just the £65 one is a longer drive so it works out about the same lol!