Bizarre delivery policy - IKEA

2»

Comments

• rossere wrote:
    It gets worse.

I had 5 Billy bookcases delivered. I wanted 2 downstairs and 3 upstairs.

After putting 2 in the dinning room, I asked the guy to put the other three upstairs. He totally ignored me, and proceeded to put the third in the dinning whilst bashing the package off the door frames and staircase. On his way back out to the van to pick up the fourth he told me that they only delivered to one room. :roll:

That great service cost me £35.

Hmm - you appear to be more patient than I'd have been, as I'd have quite happily told them that they'd put them in the wrong room after all, and made them take all 5 upstairs, then slid 2 back down when they'd gone :D
    Has the head wind picked up or the tail wind dropped off???
  • Aggieboy
    Aggieboy Posts: 3,996
    It'll get really funny when they actually arrive and your gf decides to send them back.
    "There's a shortage of perfect breasts in this world, t'would be a pity to damage yours."
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Ring up IKEA and complain about what a crap service their home delivery is, don't shout or scream, they should refund you it and maybe give you a £15-20 voucher as well. They have a contract with the Home Delivery company. If they have to keep paying out compo to their customers because the home delivery company give such a shite service then when the contract comes up for renewal/renegotiation they might well lose the contract. Ha! Similarly with ParcelForce IKEA will present them with the amount they have had to compensate their customers due to PF's poor service. Although I have to add a few times I have ordered stuff, not from IKEA, that has been delivered by PF they have been excellent. The cowboys are DHL and XDP. The latter XDP drove their frikin van over the middle of my front garden cause he couldn't be bothered to turn his feckin' van around. I emailed the Operations Director and got no response. XDP are a-holes. AVOID!
    DHL managed to lose a tent I had ordered then it transpired some one was lying through their teeth and had sent it to totally the wrong address 70 miles away. When pointing out that the DHL monkey that delivered it there had ample opportunity to check the address on the package I was told that DHL drivers do not use addresses or post codes but bar codes! The only bars they should be seeing are inside HMP. They are crooks. I will never buy anything from a retailer that uses DHL as they are idiots.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I woudn't waste my worse enemy's money on IKEA furniture.

It is cheap sh!t that lasts five minutes.

I know this through bitter bitter experience.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,606
    Another update:

Parcelforce contacted the driver, and he turned up to leave another note. This time more detailed.

"under the white-stairs outside blah blah. Still there"

It isn't.

I'd like to know where this comedy clown is leaving my stuff, because it's certainly not anywhere near my flat.
  • 52Teeth
    52Teeth Posts: 67
    If you ever need to take stuff back Ikea are mentally generous.
    I bought a £90 headboard on Monday with hidden shelving behind.
    Took it home, built it and installed it, ripped up the box etc.
    Wife comes home - thats shiz what did you get that for (erm...you asked me to!)
    Called Ikea to check return policy, 'yeah no problem, dismantle it and bring it back'
    So i buy it build it, dismantle it which it being chipboard Ikea furniture effectively wrecks it, take it back and the give me a full refund, no questions asked as long as its within 90 days.
    Delivery may be rubbish but returns are perfect.
  • I have learned through bitter experience to avoid delivery. They damage the boxes and then hide the damage - routinely! The shop will exchange the damaged goods but what a hassle.

Simpler either to make multiple journeys and take it home on the car, or even to hire a van.

It's another example of the pitfalls of the environmentally friendly option. :(

... and don't get me started on Citylink (never ever buy from a firm which uses them!) :
  • rick_chasey
    I have learned through bitter experience to avoid delivery. They damage the boxes and then hide the damage - routinely! The shop will exchange the damaged goods but what a hassle.

Simpler either to make multiple journeys and take it home on the car, or even to hire a van.

It's another example of the pitfalls of the environmentally friendly option. :(

... and don't get me started on Citylink (never ever buy from a firm which uses them!) :

That only works if the cost to hire a van is cheaper than the product being delivered.
  • I checked and I can easily get a three hour transit hire for less than £30. OK there is VAT on top. I have already got excess insurance. A van and driver could be less.

My point is not that it is the cheapest option but that some delivery services are so f*******g awful as to be more hassle than they are worth once you've returned the damaged item etc. In practice I have been able to get almost everything in my estate car, or on the roof.

I had a cheap online TV damaged by Citylink. Amazon refunded no problem, but I can get it from Richersounds for only £25 more (with a cheap extended guarantee). I stayed in for three days whilst they failed to deliver as promised, and ended up going to the depot to wait for three hours (yes really) only to refuse it when they finally found it

:evil:
  • Homer J
    Homer J Posts: 920
    When it eventually arrives sign for it "SpeedKing"
  • donkykong
    donkykong Posts: 160
    everytime i go to ikea its frustrating, its nice cheap, good looking stuff, if you have all the screws that is, of course you only find out when ure at home, miles from the store at midnight, you might as well buy one from a local pine shop, at least you will be able to move it around, and it,ll last for year and years.
  • dilemna
    dilemna Posts: 2,187
    Article in the Times today that the majority of wood IKEA uses for it's furniture is not from sustainable forests as they have previously been claiming, so basically, misleading customers, as if they care of course. They prefer to leave the sustainability bit up to their suppliers.
    Life is like a roll of toilet paper; long and useful, but always ends at the wrong moment. Anon.
    Think how stupid the average person is.......
    half of them are even more stupid than you first thought.
  • hounslow
    hounslow Posts: 153
    Home Delivery Network are the worst i have come across, unfortunately they seem to be being used more and more.
    i am currently waiting for a delivery via them which has been at their depot in mitcham (odd, as i don't live anywhere near mitcham) since the 4th. this is not the 1st time they haven't delivered on time. the website even lets you pick a day for redelivery, and that rarely works.
  • Weejie54
    Weejie54 Posts: 750
    Article in the Times today that the majority of wood IKEA uses for it's furniture is not from sustainable forests as they have previously been claiming, so basically, misleading customers, as if they care of course. They prefer to leave the sustainability bit up to their suppliers.

That's the Times for you - ground-breaking news.

From July 2009:

http://www.allbusiness.com/environment- ... 364-1.html
  • DIESELDOG
    DIESELDOG Posts: 2,087
    Any sign yet Rick? The suspense is killing me!

Love n hugs

DD
    Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

www.onemanandhisbike.co.uk
  • rick_chasey
    dilemna wrote:

I didn't buy it because it was sustainable or not.

Anyway.

I e-mailed parcelforce, asking them, in short, where my delivery is.

I have yet to hear a response.

Edit: it did contain a fair bit of complaining.