If you had.......?

supafly1982
supafly1982 Posts: 631
edited February 2011 in MTB general
if you had as much cash as you desired, which hard tail....(yes only hard tail,lol) would you buy? and
if you had, say £600 at a maximum, which second hand hard tail would you buy and why?

cheers
scot

ach, just to be fair we'll let the full susser's in on this too :D

Comments

• Andy!
    Andy! Posts: 433
    If the money was being given to me to buy 1 bike it would be a jones spaceframe thingy as then I could flog it and buy a cheaper one and use the rest of the money to buy other kit and keep me riding for a few years :D

£600 - too tough to say as it depends on spec and age. If I could pic up a Cotic Soul or something like that then it would be a good choice. Anything with carbon/titanium will be a lot more. Or maybe just an Inbred with a good light spec to make up for the frame weight.
  • RobGT
    RobGT Posts: 132
    I'm an On One fan so would have to a Carbon 456 built with the best components.

Don't know about second hand £600 budget though. I'd probably buy second hand bits and bobs but include new drivetrain into the budget. Or, you pick up a nice new, last years model for that money.
  • RobGT wrote:
    I'm an On One fan so would have to a Carbon 456 built with the best components.
    +1 but very pimpy too.

But the Joes Spaceframe idea is very good.
  • Hardtail?

No budget - Yeti ARC or Big Top (29er)

£600 budget? There's already some good shouts for 456 or Cotic Soul builds. Being careful and bargain bin shopping will get you a good build for that.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • Briggo
    Briggo Posts: 3,537
    if you had, say £600 at a maximum, which second hand hard tail would you buy and
    :D

I would buy a Cannondale Flash Carbon Ultimate
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    if you had as much cash as you desired, which hard tail....(yes only hard tail,lol) would you buy?
    I'd "donate" the suitable amount of money to someone who had no such stupid restrictions, and get them to buy me a fully saint equipped Marin Quake as a thankyou gift..
  • Salsa
    Salsa Posts: 753
    It would have to be the Niner Air 9 carbon in yellow & black with the matching fork, just because it's the best looking frame/fork combo out there.

Or something like the Cannondale Flash/Scale 900 but specced out with all the silly price, super light weight, exotic European parts (Tune/Extralite/Edge/Envy/Lightning/Scrub/AX Liteness/Tubular wheels, etc).
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Custom built Ti bike- maybe Indy Fab, Lynskey? Probably 120mm ish, build it up with two sets of kit- light/comfy/fast for long distance, some spares for taking to exciting places. Job done.

Or a scale 899. Just so I could laugh at how light it is.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • CraigXXL
    CraigXXL Posts: 1,852
    Evil Sovereign. Oh wait, I've got one.

Most fun I've had on a bike. Handles everything that you can throw at it. It might not be the lightest bike but it's not going to snap anytime soon. Only limit to it is the rider in my case.
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    Ragley Ti for me... The Mmmbop's very good but has a pretty horrible rear end, I tolerate the rough-as-f**k overly stiff tail for all the good things that come welded to it but I don't like it much. And the Blue Pig is a bit piggy. So Ti for me. Add my Revelation Teams, a Reverb seatpost and some sort of flashy light-but-strong rims. Perfect.

TBH what I have now is more or less this but with some compromises on the spec for price
    Uncompromising extremist
  • Titanium Charge Duster.
  • phz
    phz Posts: 478
    I quite like my harsh but tough HT as it is, so i guess I'd have to say my money-no-object HT would be a more expensive version of what I have already - so an Identiti AKA with Fox 831s and a full SRAM X9 drivetrain with Saint cranks & brakes.

Cheap option I too would go 456 summer season with 2nd hand/bargain bin parts build.

slainte 8) rob