Touring on a Cross Bike

jimcameron
jimcameron Posts: 199
edited March 2011 in Tour & expedition
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this quite the correct forum to be posting on but i'll put it out there for you too.

I'm going touring in the summer to the Pyrennes and Alps and was going to use my cross bike. The only problem i see at the moment is that I don't have eyelets at the base of the chain stays. Can you get those plastic coated clips for both pannier connection at the top and base of the chainstay or do you have to bolt the ones on at the base?

Also i'm think that my center-pull canti brakes will be getting in the way of the pannier rack. Do you know if you can fit a rack around center-pull brakes or will i have to swap them for a normal road caliper brake. There's a bolt hole in there for a caliper brake though i suspect it will have to be a special long reach brake. Is there such a thing?

Cheers
Jim

Comments

• andymiller
    andymiller Posts: 2,856
    Yes you can get p-clips. another alternative would be one of the kits that tubus market that uses a longer quick release as the support.

There are almost certainly ways round the caliper brakes, but if you want more specific advice you might be better off posting some photos.
  • satanas
    satanas Posts: 1,303
    Tubus offer rack mounting kits that attach to the Q/R for some of their racks; you could use P-clips at the top or an M-Part (sp?) seat clamp. (Wiggle sell the latter.) The cantis won't be an issue if you use the right stays and bend them to suit.

Another option is to use one of the Old Man Mountain rear racks. These can be attached to the Q/R and the brake bosses and are very reliable; they are designed for off-road touring. I used one on a dual-suspension MTB in the Indian Himalays in 2006 with no problems. Carradice imports OMM.

BTW, I've successfully used P-clips top and bottom for a very lightly loaded rear rack, but there are better options now than there were 20 years ago.
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    M:part seat clamp for the top mounts, you may be able to avoid your brakes with this method..

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/mpart-single-bo ... ack-mount/