Touring on my Cross Bike

jimcameron
jimcameron Posts: 199
edited March 2011 in The workshop
Hi Guys,

Not sure if this quite the correct forum to be posting on but i'll put it out there for you too.

I'm going touring in the summer to the Pyrennes and Alps and was going to use my cross bike. The only problem i see at the moment is that I don't have eyelets at the base of the chain stays. Can you get those plastic coated clips for both pannier connection at the top and base of the chainstay or do you have to bolt the ones on at the base?

Also i'm think that my center-pull canti brakes will be getting in the way of the pannier rack. Do you know if you can fit a rack around center-pull brakes or will i have to swap them for a normal road caliper brake. There's a bolt hole in there for a caliper brake though i suspect it will have to be a special long reach brake. Is there such a thing?

Cheers
Jim

Comments

• cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Can't help on the pannier fitting, I'm afraid, but is the bolt hole on the forks for a cable hanger rather than caliper brakes? Am no expert though, so I could be completely wrong.

Also, knowing how bad my canti brakes are, I would prefer something with more stopping power for descents, particularly if it's wet.

Might be worth asking the chaps over in Touring.

Sounds like a great trip, though. Where are you going?

EDIT: Oh, what gearing do you have? My crosser has a 46-36. The 46 would spin out on the descents, while I'd need a 34 going up.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."
  • wgwarburton
    wgwarburton Posts: 1,863
    Hmm, I'm not sure I'd go along with CJCPs comments on gearing. I reckon spinning out isn't much of an issue on a tourer (unless you're sprinting for a ferry, maybe? :-) ) and that a 2-tooth difference on the front isn't going to make that much difference.
    That's detail, though... his point that you should consider your gearing is a good one.

You can use "P-Clips" to mount panniers on a bike without eyelets. It's not as secure but is often adequate, depending on your needs... which brings me to:

What sort of load are you thinking of? If you're going for a fully-laden camping trip then you'll be asking quite a lot of the bike, whereas if this is a supported or lightweight ("credit card") tour you have less to worry about. A cross bike isn't designed to carry a load but it is sturdy and has reasonably wide-range gears, so it's not unsuited to the task. Plenty of people enjoy touring on less suitable bikes!
    If that's the bike you have, it'd probably be worth thinking about what's sensible when using it- you might have more fun if you change what you're doing a little (eg use hostels rather than camping or plan to camp but eat out, instead of cooking) to cut down the load.

I wonder about CJCPs experience with canti's, too- they are generally pretty powerful brakes and were equipment of choice for laden touring and tandems for years. They do need to be set up properly to work and it sounds like there's something wrong with the installation if they can't be made to work effectively.

You should be able to get a rack setup that works with yours- there are lots of options available with different combinations of brackets and struts and one or more of those should give you a viable option. Ideally you would find a bike shop that caters for tourists, as they will have the knowledge and parts to advise. By all means come back with pictures and/or descriptions, though and we'll try and help. Spa cycles in Harrogate are good people to talk to about touring equipment.

Hope this helps. More detail on your preferences, your plans and their malleability would get you more focussed advice!

Cheers,
    W.
  • cjcp
    cjcp Posts: 13,345
    Hmm, I'm not sure I'd go along with CJCPs comments on gearing. I reckon spinning out isn't much of an issue on a tourer (unless you're sprinting for a ferry, maybe? :-) ) and that a 2-tooth difference on the front isn't going to make that much difference.
    That's detail, though... his point that you should consider your gearing is a good one.

Yep, fair enough. I suppose it depends how fast you want to. If you're touring, then perhaps a more conservative ride would be more appropriate. :) I do find myself spinning a bit more in the 46.

I've never ridden in a 36 on long climbs, only the 34, with the 25 on the back, and no panniers. It got tough towards the top of the climbs, which is why I'd stick to the 34.

I wonder about CJCPs experience with canti's, too- they are generally pretty powerful brakes and were equipment of choice for laden touring and tandems for years. They do need to be set up properly to work and it sounds like there's something wrong with the installation if they can't be made to work effectively.

My experience is that they are pants. :lol:

I'll have you know that there's nothing wrong with the way I've set them up. Ahem, ok, that might not be entirely accurate...

There was a thread a couple of months back about the brakes - they're Avid Shortys, and other brakes, like the Tektros, were considered better. I think. They make an absolute racket, too. I could bear a cycling holiday with the brake squeal constantly ringing in my ear.
    FCN 2-4.

"What happens when the hammer goes down, kids?"
    "It stays down, Daddy."
    "Exactly."