Decent lighweight saddle advice

ashleymp777
ashleymp777 Posts: 1,212
edited March 2011 in Road buying advice
Hi there,

As the subject title suggests, I'm looking for a decent lightweight saddle. I don't want to spend a fortune but I would like it to be as light as possible for obvious reasons.

What suggestions are there?

Any help gratefully recieved.

Comments

• giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    Regardless of whether it suits your ar$e or not? For it to be comfortable is much more important than how light it is surely.

If weight truthfully is more important than comfort then one on the all-carbon offerings would be applicable ie. Selle SMP or AX Lightness.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Selle SMPs are neither carbon, nor remotely light, and fall into the ' cost a fortune' bracket IMO...

SLR or Spesh Toupe would get my vote, there's enough floating around second hand that you can try one without fear of losing your life savings if you don't like it. The Spesh Ronin also gets good reviews.

Personal though frankly.
  • Donnic
    Donnic Posts: 85
    I have a Selle Italia SLR XP for sale if you're interested; not the uber-light version; but a little bit more padding. Still circa 180g though, so pretty light.

PM me if you're interested,
  • I found the Spec Toupe hard and uncomfortable and have been using a Prologo scratch pro ti for the last couple of seasons. Light and 100m comfy with assos bibshorts.

Fizik do a similar shape - antares - and some dealers have test models to try out.
  • I found the Spec Toupe hard and uncomfortable and have been using a Prologo scratch pro ti for the last couple of seasons. Light and 100m comfy with assos bibshorts.

Fizik do a similar shape - antares - and some dealers have test models to try out.
  • You've got a Petacchi replica - so you need a Regal http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=50442
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    njee20 wrote:
    Selle SMPs are neither carbon, nor remotely light, and fall into the ' cost a fortune' bracket IMO...

SLR or Spesh Toupe would get my vote, there's enough floating around second hand that you can try one without fear of losing your life savings if you don't like it. The Spesh Ronin also gets good reviews.

Personal though frankly.

Selle SMP do make all carbon saddles and they do cost a lot.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Surely you want comfort more than lightweight ?

I've seen the weightweeines peeling off the cover and padding of normal saddles to leave just the shell underneath.

I'd go for the fizik arione - no idea how light or heavy it is - but my bum loves it - and whats a 100g or so on teh combined weight of me and a bike ?
  • gwillis
    gwillis Posts: 998
    I convinced myself that I had to have a carbon saddle and opted for a arione..... Its now gathering dust as whilst it was light it wasn't for me .... I'm now on a aliante and it's much better. No saddle is worth it if you can't get comfy on it. After all when your sat on it no onw sees it anyway