Basso fighting talk

frenchfighter
frenchfighter Posts: 30,642
edited March 2011 in Pro race
Two Champions will face off; and race. No easy efforts, no gliding in the bunch and rolling in down 5mins. Bring it on.
"I cannot wait. I'm glad that Alberto will also be [in Catalonia]. He's a cyclist who I respect very much. At the 2010 Tour, he knocked me out in the first round. I'm ready to rebound. Of course Contador is Contador and when he attacks it hurts, but this time, I will start a beaten man," added Basso.

"Last year, I went to the Tour in France tired from the Giro d'Italia. This time, I have the head, the legs and the heart. We'll see who is the strongest. It is not enough to be half-ready, it will be a full-on affair in Andorra. I'll have the same fight as a bull in a bullfight. Yes, it will be the first real and anticipated challenge between us."

giro_2010_st19_BASSO_ATTACKjpg_e_0992e839476b2e8d78ef1366e9e8ea65.jpg
1_contador_riding.jpg
Contador is the Greatest

Comments

• Kléber
    Kléber Posts: 6,842
    Here's Alberto's biggest threat this year:
    cas-20763.jpg
  • Tom Butcher
    Tom Butcher Posts: 3,830
    but this time, I will start a beaten man," added Basso.

I'm assuming this has lost something in translation :wink:

Be good to have another realistic contender in there though.

it's a hard life if you don't weaken.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    I wonder whether there is some internal rethinking going on within Liquigas since Contador has been given the go-ahead to ride for a couple more months.... The plan was Nibali for the Giro and Basso for the Tour once more. Now Contador is likely to go full out and get what he can from 2011 at the Giro, not sure Nibali is as happy as a couple of months ago with that arrangement...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    Two Champions will face off; and race. No easy efforts, no gliding in the bunch and rolling in down 5mins. Bring it on.

Read the same article FF and I totally agree, it looks to be a gooden.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Ah - I'm fed up of waiting for people to bite - so here we go:

Two champions (one who has admitted to planning to dope, one who has failed a doping test) are ready to face off....

:lol:

Now that's out of the way, bring on the racing...
  • sonny73
    sonny73 Posts: 2,203
    mroli wrote:
    Ah - I'm fed up of waiting for people to bite - so here we go:

Two champions (one who has admitted to planning to dope, one who has failed a doping test) are ready to face off....

:lol:

Now that's out of the way, bring on the racing...
    Don't get me wrong, I'm hoping Basso wipes the floor with AC. Basso's done his time IMO and was a pleasure to watch last year.
  • jerry3571
    jerry3571 Posts: 1,532
    Basso is back on the full fat Coke again!!
    I guess if Basso is pounding everyone like he did in the 2006 Giro rather than the 2010 event then Doping Control will be very interested. It's an open invitation to all the anti doping lot to catch him if they can.
    Should be good.

-Jerry
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

"You can't ride the Tour de France on mineral water."
    -Jacques Anquetil
  • frenchfighter
    FJS wrote:
    I wonder whether there is some internal rethinking going on within Liquigas since Contador has been given the go-ahead to ride for a couple more months.... The plan was Nibali for the Giro and Basso for the Tour once more. Now Contador is likely to go full out and get what he can from 2011 at the Giro, not sure Nibali is as happy as a couple of months ago with that arrangement...

He is definitely riding the Giro to win. His favourite stage race and a super tough one. Going to be the best stage race again.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    FJS wrote:

He is definitely riding the Giro to win. His favourite stage race and a super tough one. Going to be the best stage race again.

'Again'??? Didn't you see it last year?

Strava is not Zen.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    "I cannot wait. I'm glad that Alberto will also be [in Catalonia]. He's a cyclist who I respect very much. At the 2010 Tour, he knocked me out in the first round. I'm ready to rebound. Of course Contador is Contador and when he attacks it hurts, but this time, I will start a beaten man," added Basso.

"Last year, I went to the Tour in France tired from the Giro d'Italia. This time, I have the head, the legs and the heart. We'll see who is the strongest. It is not enough to be half-ready, it will be a full-on affair in Andorra. I'll have the same fight as a bull in a bullfight. Yes, it will be the first real and anticipated challenge between us."

Bunch of hype. Starting to sound like professional wrestling.
  • jerry3571
    I have seen the film the Wrestler where an old old Wrestler ends up in a bad way after years of doing the circuit and is still doing the drugs; I can't see how Wrestling relates to Professional Cycling at all!!?? :wink:
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving”- Albert Einstein

-Jacques Anquetil
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    jerry3571 wrote:
    I have seen the film the Wrestler where an old old Wrestler ends up in a bad way after years of doing the circuit and is still doing the drugs; I can't see how Wrestling relates to Professional Cycling at all!!?? :wink:

I wasn't thinking about the drugs but how both sports have stars and how the stars(Basso for one) seems to be hyping themselves and claiming victory before the races / matches even start.
    The drug comparison part of it is intriguing though. :wink::wink:
  • jerry3571
    dennisn wrote:
    jerry3571 wrote:

I wasn't thinking about the drugs but how both sports have stars and how the stars(Basso for one) seems to be hyping themselves and claiming victory before the races / matches even start.
    The drug comparison part of it is intriguing though. :wink::wink:

Ahh, you like! you like! ey!!

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • mattsy666
    mattsy666 Posts: 91
    Seems to me that Basso thinks that Bertie might have to lay off the juice for this one so the playing field has evened ... And as someone who had to 'think' about doping before and had a good few months at Disco just as AC started to tear it up i'd say there was a fair chance he knows what he's on about ...

Plus he's got Nibs softening him up before the event ... AC will need to sweat blood to win the Giro, look at what happened to Evans and Basso last year ...
  • jerry3571
    If AC has still got his supply of "Local" Beef pies in his kit then he's the sort who can do 2 good Tours a year. He was on about 3 Tours in a year at one point; he must have then been packing the pies in and a few Black Puddings on top for afters to do the 3 Tours in a year!!
    If they only did a meat Dessert then he could win the Worlds too!!
    So many meat dishes and so few races! :wink:

-Jerry

-Jacques Anquetil
  • frenchfighter
    Champion speaking right here:

"Well, basically I've only done two races,” Basso explained, “I raced in Argentina just to train, I won in [the GP] Lugano, a one-day race, and this is the first stage race that I’ve done with any effort. Moreover, when you’re a leader you have a duty not to disappoint the fans; at 33, and with my experience, you can’t come to the races and do not play the role of protagonist."

“Alberto is a friend,” he said. “Personally I have always had a good relationship with him. I won’t go into the details of his story, but I think the best Basso should not be afraid of anyone; neither of Contador, or Andy Schleck, neither [Samuel] Sanchez nor any for them. My goal is to get there in the best condition."

“I do not feel old at 33, if that's what you mean,” he said in reply to a direct question on the subject. “If I don’t win I can try again. And if I win for me is the same. When you come across routes that are not suited to your characteristics such as the steep hills of le Marche and discover that you still have the desire to suffer at the front with the best, it means you are still intact and undamaged; at least in my head.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I cannot stand Contador. He's a slimy little sh*t. There was a clip on the Versus coverage after one of the mountain stages at last years TdF (the stage after 'Chaingate'), where Contador congratulated AS after letting him win. Contador gave AS a look as if to say 'There you go, stop your crying', but clearly he wanted to stick a knife in him.

I hope Basso wipes the floor with him. He may be a doper, but at least he's not a tw@t. He comes across really well in 'Overcoming'.
  • blazing_saddles
    blazing_saddles Posts: 21,699
    So, are we any nearer to knowing if Contador will actually ride the Giro, or is Riis still proCrAStinating upon him squeezing through the Tour door?
    Whichever races he rides, I'm sure the organizers look forward to him beefing up the list of contenders. :P
    "Science is a tool for cheaters". An anonymous French PE teacher.
  • TMR
    TMR Posts: 3,986
    I'm sure the organizers look forward to him beefing up the list of contenders. :P

I see what you did there! :wink:
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    I cannot stand Contador. He's a slimy little sh*t. There was a clip on the Versus coverage after one of the mountain stages at last years TdF (the stage after 'Chaingate'), where Contador congratulated AS after letting him win. Contador gave AS a look as if to say 'There you go, stop your crying', but clearly he wanted to stick a knife in him.

I hope Basso wipes the floor with him. He may be a doper, but at least he's not a tw@t. He comes across really well in 'Overcoming'.

+1
  • Tom BB
    Tom BB Posts: 1,001
    What's a 'Champion'? Is it like Lance et al?