Chain 'Quick Links'

Mr Plum
Mr Plum Posts: 1,097
edited March 2011 in The workshop
Is there any good reason why I can't use 'any old' quick link with any chain, providing it's the same width?

Also, does anyone re-use quick links once they've taken them apart? A lot of manufacturers state that links shouldn't be re-used once they've been opened, but these links are relatively pricey and I know a lot of guys on here take their chains off regularly to clean, so do you just re-use the link or actually use a brand new one? Cynical me thinks that this is just a marketing ploy by the manufacturers to make a bit more money on their overpriced links...
FCN 2 to 8

Comments

• mudcow007
    mudcow007 Posts: 3,861
    i dont tend to use "quick links" i dont trust them to be honest (expects to be shouted at by someone on here)

i just tend to split the chain then put it back together using the same link, although i normally have to wiggle a screw driver throught the links that have been connected to stop stiff links..
    Keeping it classy since '83
  • Mr Plum
    mudcow007 wrote:
    i dont tend to use "quick links" i dont trust them to be honest (expects to be shouted at by someone on here)

i just tend to split the chain then put it back together using the same link, although i normally have to wiggle a screw driver throught the links that have been connected to stop stiff links..

Yeah that's what I do with one of my chains, but I've just bought a replacement chain with a quick link as it can be a pain in the arse using a chain tool all the time.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Quick links are stronger than the joining pins as they don't spread the outer plates, re-joining with an old pin is really bad for the outer plates (stretches the hole and can cause premature failure)

I reuse the 8/9 sram and kmc ones and the 10 speed kmc ones as long as they don't show any visible wear on the pins.
  • Mr Plum
    Quick links are stronger than the joining pins as they don't spread the outer plates, re-joining with an old pin is really bad for the outer plates (stretches the hole and can cause premature failure)

I reuse the 8/9 sram and kmc ones and the 10 speed kmc ones as long as they don't show any visible wear on the pins.

Cheers for that. So do you think I could use, for example, a 9spd Sram link with with a 9spd FSA chain?
    FCN 2 to 8
  • A quick link will work with any chain of the same width.

I see no problem in re-using them. They are intended to be re-used - excepting the Campag 10/11 speed 'perma-links'.
  • Twostage
    Twostage Posts: 987
    I'd assumed that the whole point of quick links was to be able to take your chain off and put it back on again without having to split the chain and re-assemble, hence it should be re-usable. Admit I haven't read the small print in the instructions.
    I use kmc chains with quick links and take them off for cleaning every couple of weeks. I use the same link until I change the chain.
  • re-usable and a great saver to have in a pocket on a ride.
    Veni Vidi cyclo I came I saw I cycled
    exercise.png
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I run mine with 2 quick links (1 inner apart) and carry a spare, that way any 'on ride' chain issues (just about) I can sort, probably only losing my lowest gear. I carry a multi-tool witha splitter.

Simon
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Mr Plum
    Cheers for the advice. Just bought a 3 pack of 9spd Sram Powerlinks for spares...
    FCN 2 to 8
  • Hoopdriver
    Hoopdriver Posts: 2,023
    I don't believe the SRAM 10-speed ones are intended for re-use.
  • Mr Plum
    Yeah the 10spd are 'Powerlock' or something like that.
    FCN 2 to 8
  • crankycrank
    crankycrank Posts: 1,830
    I've been using KMC and Connex links for years and never had one break. I used the same KMC 9sp QL for close to 10k miles and 4 chains before converting to 10sp. Also have another 10sp QL going on 3k miles now.
  • hatbeard
    hatbeard Posts: 1,087
    I find it a physical impossibility to get the bloody sram powerlinks off once they're on. I end up with numb bloodied fingers, a white hot ball of rage burning inside my head and a chain that sits there silently mocking me.
    Hat + Beard
  • Blue Meanie
    Blue Meanie Posts: 495
    They now sell 'quick-link' pliers! However, simply apply the pliers diagonally across the link and 'click' it's off, once you learn it's simples. :roll:
    FCN16 - 1970 BSA Wayfarer

FCN4 - Fixie Inc
  • There is another way to get SRAM powerlinks off easily.

First you need any old bit of brake/gear cable.
    Feed this through the links either side of the powerlink and then cross the ends (so you have a figure of 8 of brake cable round the powerlink).
    Pull on the ends of the cable to push the 2 ends of the link towards each other.
    You can keep the tension on the cable using 1 hand, which gives you a free hand to give the sideplates of the powerlink a bit of a squeeze.
    The powerlink will pop open as you do.

It's surprisingly easy to get powerlinks off using this technique (no matter how much gunk you have on the chain) and it's much easier/lighter to carry a short piece of cable with you than it is to take a pair of pliers.

Alternatively, use a connex link. They're a doddle to get off with just your fingers.