Funny cable guide stuff something

kagefisk
kagefisk Posts: 74
edited March 2011 in Workshop
Don't know much about the details of roadbikes, as I'm primarily a mountainbiker.

Today however i just got me a used (and very well working) road bike.

I do think this looks a little funny though.
The rear derailleur cable crossing the downtube actually rubs against the frame, and the front derailleur cable also rubs the bottom bracket as you can see.

This can't be right?
I'm planning on ordering some other parts from CRC at monday for my mountainbike, so if i need a new cable guide or something, please tell me. Looks like it's a pressfit type, with no screws.

Thanks

ASBjt.jpg

Comments

• jj1048
    jj1048 Posts: 107
    Looks like somebody has fitted the cables the wrong way round, the rear shifter should be on the right of the downtube.
  • Will this work?
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=41920
    Looks like it would move both cables away from the drive side, which i guess would help.
    Not sure how it will fit my bike on my bike? (can't see the other side of it).
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    just looks like the plate on the BB has moved to the drive side. having the cable crossing is normal.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    The guide plate has been fitted the wrong way round. The long guide should line up with the front changer cable and go up between the chain stays. The rear cable should be in the one that is now empty which should be on the drive side. The rear mech cable should all be on the drive side of the frame and the front one on the non drive. It just needs a bit of sorting out.
  • John.T
    You're right! I think it would work great if i turned it 180 degrees. Thanks!

Now...the guide was very brittle, so accidently... i broke it :)

I definitely need a new one now. How can i find out if i can use the one i suggested above?
  • John.T
    That one may fit. This may be better.
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=33951
    If the BB is not threaded for a bolt you can just superglue it in position.
  • John.T
    I just placed the order. Bought the Time one. If I have no other way of mounting it I will consider your solution. Thank you very much.
  • kagefisk
    edited March 2011
    Received the Time bottom bracket cable guide and it was excatly what i was looking for (had this kind of "press fit"-thingy). Fits perfectly. I swaped the gear cables around, so they do not cross each other or rub anything.
    They now run down parallel with the downtube and comes in at the right angle for the cable guide.

Looks and works so much better now!
  • John.T
    Great stuff. Glad we could help. :D
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    If you can do it, crossed cables are much better because you have smoother runs into the downtube stops. Prevents cable rub on the headtube and gives slightly smoother shifting.
  • kagefisk
    John. T
    Yep, thanks!

ride_whenever
    I first tried crossing them. If if did that, not only would the cables rub on the downtube, but also rub each other. The way i have done it, the cables are clear of everything. Cable housings are being a bit more bent at the cablestops though - as you say - but i reckon it's better this way.
  • ride_whenever
    The cables touching isn't a problem, but obviously if it won't clear the frame you can't do it!!!!
  • kagefisk
    The down tube have more of an oval shape than a round, and i guess thats why the cables are having trouble getting from one side of the down tube to the other when crossing it. (or the cable stops should have been placed in another spot of course).

But thanks for making your point.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Cables on my Racelight TK touch the (great fat) downtube despite running parallel. Does it matter??
  • ride_whenever
    slip some donuts on to keep the pain fresh or use a little frame protection tape.

I'd check your cable outers going into the downtube stops as they might just be forcing a little movement into the tube if slightly the wrong length.