Best Overshoes?

TMR
TMR Posts: 3,986
edited February 2011 in Road buying advice
I need some overshoes to protect my nice new Sidi Ergo 2s when the weather's bad. Cost not an issue within reason - I'd rather buy well and buy once. Suggestions?

TIA.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I've been using BBB Ultraflex all winter - 1000s of miles and they come up like new in the washing machine. My Northwave boots that are under the overshoes still look new as well! Only £22 from Ribble down from £35.

http://www.ribblecycles.co.uk/sp/road-t ... BBAZOSH220
    Faster than a tent.......
  • TMR
    Thanks Rolf. From what I understand, keeping them dry is going to be very difficult. How do those fare?

Do you think I'll have any issues using Speedplay cleats with those?
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Been using BBB WaterFlex for about a month now. Brilliant overshoe. Far better than the Adidas ones they replaced. Great coverage of the shoes and the little patches of toughened material on the bottoms are genuinely tough and stand up well to the road.

Thing with all overshoes is your feet eventually get wet through water running down your leg. The big thing for me is that they keep your feet warm and the shoes clean. The BBB ones i'm using are totally waterproof as far as water directly splashed onto the material.
  • rolf_f
    I've done OK with the rain so far. If it's going to be wet, I wear sealskins socks the tops of which are overlain by my leggings. Water can get into the shoe but doesn't get into the sock! Not seen any evidence of my boots getting wet.

One mod I have made is to glue inner tube onto the underside of the toe of the overshoes as a preventative measure. The neoprene there could tear (I use mine everyday on the commute so quite a few touch downs). The innertube seems to be pretty much indestructable. Might not be neccessary but a free precaution!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    +1 for BBB Waterflex - not the warmest cover, but the best for rain that I have tried so far. Do a much better job that the neoprene ones and the DHB ones I got previously.
  • unixnerd
    unixnerd Posts: 2,864
    Planet X, 15 quid on ebay and they've done two hard winters so far :-) Toasty warm!
    http://www.strathspey.co.uk - Quality Binoculars at a Sensible Price.
    Specialized Roubaix SL3 Expert 2012, Cannondale CAAD5,
    Marin Mount Vision (1997), Edinburgh Country tourer, 3 cats!
  • TMR
    Rolf F wrote:
    I've done OK with the rain so far. If it's going to be wet, I wear sealskins socks the tops of which are overlain by my leggings. Water can get into the shoe but doesn't get into the sock! Not seen any evidence of my boots getting wet.

One mod I have made is to glue inner tube onto the underside of the toe of the overshoes as a preventative measure. The neoprene there could tear (I use mine everyday on the commute so quite a few touch downs). The innertube seems to be pretty much indestructable. Might not be neccessary but a free precaution!

Ribble only sell up to size 46. I wear size 47. Will they fit?

Why don't Ribble stock anything over size 46? Do they think people's feet don't grow any bigger?
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    What you need is PRO Tarmac NPU+. Never let me down in 2 years.
    IMHO, a superior product. :wink:
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • edhornby
    edhornby Posts: 1,780
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2559

I've not tried these myself - however prendas do quality products and their customer service is spot on, for a tenner you can't lose
    "I get paid to make other people suffer on my wheel, how good is that"
    --Jens Voight
  • rich164h
    rich164h Posts: 433
    unixnerd wrote:
    Planet X, 15 quid on ebay and they've done two hard winters so far :-) Toasty warm!
    Agreed. Excellent things for the price. I really can't think why I'd need anything "better".

The only weak point on mine (not sure if this applies to all of them or just my set) is that the reflective strip on the back doesn't look particularly well sewn on. That said it's probably just the nature of the stiffer reflective material vs the softer neoprene and after a hard winter's wear none of the stitching is actually coming away.
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    hopper1 wrote:
    What you need is PRO Tarmac NPU+. Never let me down in 2 years.
    IMHO, a superior product. :wink:

+1 Superb!!!!!! :D:D:D:D
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • BBH
    BBH Posts: 476
    2012 Scott Foil 10 (Shimano dura ace) - in progress
    2011 Cervelo S2 (SRAM Red/Force)
    2011 Cannondale Caad 10 (Shimano 105)

"Hills Hurt, Couches Kill!!"
    Twitter: @MadRoadie
  • Rapha Overshoes are the best i have tired, warm and water resistant, not cheap but you tend to get what you pay for. They look great too, not like bin bags or flippers on you feet.
  • rolf_f
    Why don't Ribble stock anything over size 46? Do they think people's feet don't grow any bigger?

Arrrgh! I think you can get them in larger sizes but not through Ribble. I don't think they'll fit. As it happens, I ended up by getting a second larger pair as the first set were incredibly tight over my boots. Not that the first set suffered for it they are that tough - it was me that was suffering trying to get them on and off! A particularly good design feature is that the heel is moulded so the zip isn't put under stress when hoicking them over your boot heel - this is what trashed my Enduras.

TBH, they are well worth the money at full whack. Ultraflex are the toughest and most weather resistant of BBBs offerings - genuinely industrial strength. The others are probably a bit lighter at slight cost of one of the other variables - plenty of choice anyhow.

I have the Planet X ones from the bargain Merino top deal. I'll use them for summer rain protection but they don't look like they'd cope with the demands of my commute for indefinitely.

The PRO NPUs always are well rated on here - I've not tried them but they have a lot of fans! As for Rapha - they look nice but nowhere near as durable as the BBBs.
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    I have used BBB heavy duty - which are warm and waterproof - only problem is the design doesn't leave much space for a SPD SL Cleat - and clipping in becomes a minor problem

Just brough planet x - which has a larger cleat area - but not that waterproof or warm
  • Gazzaputt
    Gazzaputt Posts: 3,227
    edhornby wrote:
    http://www.prendas.co.uk/details.asp?ID=2559

I've not tried these myself - however prendas do quality products and their customer service is spot on, for a tenner you can't lose

I have a pair and for £10 they cannot be beaten.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    +1 for the PX overshoes - much better than the more expensive ones I've used in the past and almost a delight to put on. Some of the others are a real struggle.
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,707
    For what its worth, when I asked this, the endura neoprene were recommended, and they're just the job.

Bloody hot and water-resistant.

If anything, they're too hot - but I like it like that.

My feet sweat even in 4-5 degrees outside (on the extremely rare occasion I do go out in the cold)