thinest tyres on your MTB

vim147
vim147 Posts: 120
edited February 2011 in MTB general
What are the thinest tyres you've used on your MTB for road use.

I've imagined anything smaller then 1.95" on 26" wheels to look somewhat quite weird.

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    edited February 2011
    Depends on your rims. IMO any skinny tyre on a MTB looks weird, but I've run 1.5" slicks before, it's quite fun offroad 8)
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    I've got some 1.5" mud tyres, which are awesome in the right conditions, wouldn't want to use them on the road, do look a bit odd! Sold plenty of 1.0" road tyres though.
  • norfolkandgood
    norfolkandgood Posts: 19
    edited February 2011
    I've used Specialized fatboy 26x1, Tioga city slickers 26x1.3 and currently use Vredestein s.licks 26x1.25. In fact I've never used anything else for the past 15 years on my mtb but I only use it on the road and cycle paths so no muddy rough stuff.
    I spent some of my money on a Felt Carbon Fibre bike and a nice titanium MTB.....................................................................
    the rest I squandered.
  • vim147
    vim147 Posts: 120
    thel33ter wrote:
    Depends on your rims. IMO any skinny tyre on a MTB looks weird, but I've run 1.5" slicks before, it's quite fun offroad 8)

I thought all MTB rims were same size. 26" or 29".
  • thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    vim147 wrote:
    thel33ter wrote:

I thought all MTB rims were same size. 26" or 29".

Yea, but they come in different widths.
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675
    You can go pretty thin but I can't see why- it just costs you comfort and still doesn't turn an mtb into a road bike. Think my Marathons are 1.75.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Mate of mine used to run (IIRC) conti xc tyres in 1.5. Used to ride through mud like it wasn't there. Annoyingly he used to be able to go over rocks and roots pretty quickly as well. Don't know how he stayed upright, but I suspect cyclocrossing over the winter probably helped.
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Cross Countries are narrow, but IMO the tread pattern is crap. Schwalbe Black Sharks are the way to go in sticky mud.
  • I've just put a pair of Conti Grand Prix 1 1/8 on my Giant hardtail. I'm doing a couple of long road rides soon and the guys I've been doing training rides with are all using either hybrid or road bikes and I found keeping up with Small Block 8s a bit tricky.
    I'll use the bike tomorrow for the commute to see what it's like. It does look very weird but I kind of like the look. :lol:
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!
  • ...forgot to say. I've only put those tyres on because a mate lent them to me to try. If I've got to part with money then I would probably go for a 1.75 Conti Travel Contact as it's a bit more versatile.
    Trek Top Fuel 9 2010, Stumpy Pro 2009 ,Giant XTC3 2009, Qu-ax Penny Farthing,
    Elswick Hopper Model M delivery Bike 1960

God Shave The Queen!