Hello all!

Dog296
Dog296 Posts: 84
edited February 2011 in MTB general
Hello.

I'm fresh to bikeradar!

My name is Martin, and I've recently got into biking as a means of getting fit, and a new hobby.

I used to ride a 2000 Saracen Blitz as a street bike, but unfortunatly, it got nicked.
So, thanks to insurance companies, I've was blessed with some money to get a new bike.

After many hours serching, reading reveiws etc, I got a 2011, GT avalanche 3.0 Hydro. NOT FROM HALFORDS.

I supported my local bike shop, that I could relay on more, than a bunch of monkeys at Halfords.

I'm very pleased with my bike, and so far, its served me very well on the single tracks!

Hope to be here for a good time!

Ta all.
White Bikes, make the best bikes.

2011 GT Avalanche 3.0 Hydro!

Comments

• thel33ter
    thel33ter Posts: 2,684
    Welcome.

Nothing wrong with Halfords, as long as you get your bike in a box :lol:
    And now you know, and knowing is half the battle
    05 Spesh Enduro Expert
    05 Trek 1000 Custom build
    Speedily Singular Thingy
  • omegas
    omegas Posts: 970
    Dog296 wrote:
    I supported my local bike shop, that I could relay on more, than a bunch of monkeys at Halfords.

Just what the sport does not need , you think you can stereotype a group of people when you have had your bike a week.
  • Dog296
    omegas wrote:
    Dog296 wrote:

Just what the sport does not need , you think you can stereotype a group of people when you have had your bike a week.

Had it longer than a week, and I just prefer to of supported a small local bike shop, rather than a big corporate company.

And after talking with the boys at halfords, AFTER talking with a few keen, and enthusiastic bikers, they came across as if they couldn't give a shhh...

Sorry if I offended you, but I have my views of my local Halfords, and chose not to even put a pound in there pockets.

• omegas wrote:
    Dog296 wrote:

But sadly the Halfords stereotype runs true for most stores. I only went to the one in Cambridge twice, went in to see if they had brake cables, ad after 5 minutes of being there I just left as I was trying to explain what brake cables are for.

Welcome to the sport anyways dude! Enjoy, and i'm sure you'll see the fitness go up and up and up.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    omegas wrote:
    Dog296 wrote:

Just what the forum does not need, another knob.

Stereotypes keep us safe and make our thinking more efficient. Stereotypes are mostly correct, based on real experiences. Halfords stereotypically are crap because they do not recruit based on knowledge of the sport - it's not necessarily true of all of them but that isn't what the OP said.
  • delta5
    delta5 Posts: 265
    edited February 2011
    Yes stereotypes usually exist for obvious reasons, and can be useful, but you also can't follow them blindly. Not all LBSs are good.

I recently approached several to have my BB shell faced:
    The first, in our village, always has one or two bikes on stands in various stages of work, and has been going for years, but did not even know what I was talking about. Once I explained, they said they didn't have the tools and had never done such a such a thing before. :? Okay then, move on . . .
    Next I called another LBS down the hill: The mechanic must have been having a bad day - the guy on the phone said they knew about facing and had the tools, but the mechanic was not prepared to do the job! :shock:
    Next stop, small shop 2 miles away: Yes they can do, but need a few days warning as they need to remember to bring the tools in. Okay, gave them warning, etc. Took frame in, job done. So now I thought good, these guys seem okay, maybe they can set my crown race for me, as was battling to get it down without the proper tool and didn't want to risk hurting my new forks or the race. Yes, can do, but they need warning to bring the tools in. Gave warning, took forks in on pre-arranged day. Nope, sorry, mechanic has not brought his tools in. Okay. . . leave forks overnight to fetch next day. Next morning they call to say sorry, the guy with the tools won't be in until Monday! :roll: Turns out he keeps his tools in his van and had to go somewhere else.
    So, fetch forks, drive a few more miles to another shop with a nice big new workshop area (newish branch of prominent chain - not Halfords). Asked them to set crown race, and thought, while I'm here they might as well cut the steerer (which I had measured and marked) and insert the star nut to save me a bit of time at home. With all the right tools, under perfect conditions, they managed to cut the steerer skew, then insert the star nut skew and so deep that my 30 mm cap bolt only reached 1½ turns of thread. :evil: I ended up having to drive the badly set star nut down the steerer and set another one above it.

On the other hand, I once took my front wheel to a Halfords branch for trueing and tensioning, and they did a first class job in half an hour at no charge. The wheel was still true more than a year later.

You just can't assume an LBS will be better than Halfords - or that every Halfords is crap. It all depends on the people who work there.
    My abundant supply of MTFU is reserved for use in dry, sunny conditions.
  • bluechair84
    bluechair84 Posts: 4,352
    Delta5 wrote:
    Yes stereotypes usually exist for obvious reasons, and can be useful,
    You just can't assume an LBS will be better than Halfords - or that every Halfords is crap. It all depends on the people who work there.
    You can and I do, an lbs is a local bike store run by people who have a vested interest in the success of the shop. And it should be their hobby. The worst experience I've ever had mind was in an lbs which let a thick ape at a pair of £600 forks who reduced the steerer to a pile of metal shavings after an hour n half. But I don't let that change the fact that halfords are less experienced more of the time. New bikers do well to start at lbs'..........

Damn it android 2.1... How do I submit this?!
    Bollocks... Will have to keep typing. This swipe functions pretty good!
  • Nice to see you here too Dog296. It all depends on the individual people in the shop. There are good and bad people in Hlafrauds stores, in the same way as good and bad LBSs
  • Dog296
    Hello the GOYB!
    Nice to see you too.

I wasn't being stereotypical btw, I spent an hour talking bikes with them, I just chose I didn't like their attitude to things, so went else where.