Carerra Virtuoso or Trek 1.1c or other - Advice ?

dmont
dmont Posts: 74
edited February 2011 in Road beginners
Hi Guys,

I'm looking and getting a road bike, either a cyclo cross or racer. My budget is £450 max.
Currently I'm riding a MTB with road tyres on but I'd like to get something a bit more focused..

I've found 2 bikes locally that I quite like the Carerra Virtuoso ( http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165710 ) and the Trek 1.1c ( http://www.alpinebikes.com/shop/trek/11-c-2010/ )

As I'm very new to racers, is there any advice you can give me... Is there much difference between those 2 bikes, eg quality parts... or is there another bike in that price range that's a no brainer which I should get..

Many thanks

Dmont
Riding - Voodoo Bantu

Comments

• andy46
    andy46 Posts: 1,666
    I can't really comment on the carerra, but I have that very Trek model. It's also my first road bike and i've got no complaints, I love it :)

I got mine from Evans cycles for £420 so if you can find one there you'll save a bit extra.

Also there's some good second hand bargins on ebay, but there's nothing like picking up a shiny new bike!
    2019 Ribble CGR SL

2015 Specialized Roubaix Sport sl4

2014 Specialized Allez Sport
  • They do look similar with the exception being the front forks, the Trek has aluminium forks while the Carerra has steel ones.

In theory the steel forks should provide a more comfy ride and given the it is cheaper the Carrera looks good.

Carrera bikes are made by Merida and are much better bikes than they are given credit for (usually by people who have never ridden one but hate Halfords).

But you will only really know which is better for you by riding them both.
  • Hi there
    I have a second hand Virtuoso which I got for a winter commute. Although it is heavier than the Summer bike it's still a good bike to get in and out of Bristol. Gears are 'agricultural' but it has soaked up the potholes and lanes of Somerset without any problems and fits a rack with ease.
    If you could find a second hand bike you would get more for your money but it is always nice to get a new shiny bike.
    Boardman Team Comp
    Boardman CX Team
    Boardman Full Suss Pro
    Brick Lane fixie
    Genesis Day One
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    I've had a Virtuoso for 4 years now and it’s been great.

The shimano 2300 gears are basic but I spent 1 evening setting them up and after 7,000ish miles I’ve replaced the cassette and chain once and tightened the barrel adjuster twice. It still shifts quickly and accurately.

The wheels are crap, went out of true almost immediately so I replaced them with RS10s, which have been fantastic and never needed any attention.

The brakes were shocking, but I put Ultegra pads on it and this helped loads.

I've used the bike for commuting 20 miles a day and until I bought my new bike all my training as well. Its a basic aluminium frame and isn't at all forgiving, the best upgrade I did was some thick padded gel bar tape that took the vibrations away.

I bought mine as a starter bike thinking I’d keep it a year and if still into cycling get something nicer. That was 4 years ago and I’ve still got it, although it has now been joined by a rather nice carbon bike J

PS re Trek, I’ve ridden a 1.7, which was lovely, and my Carrera has had Bontrager tyres on it for the last 4,000ish miles – I’ve not had one p*ncture!!

Basically I used the Carrera in all weathers, crashed it twice, cleaned it once but paid lots of attention to the mechanics and its been faultless. :)
  • dmont
    dmont Posts: 74
    Thank you everyone for your replies

I've been checking this thread all day to see what everyone is saying, so I've now taken the plunge and got the Virtouso, I pick it up tomorrow, lovely bike and I can't wait to pick it up.
    I went for the Carerra for a few reasons - 1 it's £100 cheaper than the Trek, which means I can spend the difference on SPD's and a few other bits and bobs. 2 you guys have given it such good comments ( other review also look good ). 3 there wasn't much between them in spec etc... Hard call but the Virtuoso wins @ £349

Thanks again everyone, I'm looking forward to riding it ! woohoooo

Dmont
    Riding - Voodoo Bantu