whyte 146, It could have been much much worse

thisuldo
thisuldo Posts: 23
edited March 2011 in MTB general
This is a genuine picture of a new Whyte 146 and NOT photo shopped. 4 months overdue and this is what whyte delivers....It could have been worse thought, 'mhyte' have spelt 'shyte'..

photo.jpg

Comments

• Pure awesome!
  • mel d
    mel d Posts: 19
    double b side type thing ,be worth a fortune wont it :D
  • scandelous!
  • RevellRider
    RevellRider Posts: 1,794
    To sound like every Youtube user out there but....

FAKE!!1!!

:P
  • D-Cyph3r
    D-Cyph3r Posts: 847
    Haha, awesome. I've heard of decals being slightly out of place and off colour but never upsidedown. :lol:
  • thisuldo
    RevellRider, defiantly not fake, and I'm told there are others about too
  • getonyourbike
    getonyourbike Posts: 2,648
    that actually got a lol from me. All the waiting and then the decals are wrong
  • chrisga
    chrisga Posts: 587
    As others said. Could be wortha fortune in a few years time. Or of course if you did keep it you might never be able to sell it as people would think its a fake....

Did make me smile though. Feel your pain. Did you refuse it, or ask for money back? Was the shop obliging?
  • thisuldo
    chrisga wrote:
    As others said. Could be wortha fortune in a few years time. Or of course if you did keep it you might never be able to sell it as people would think its a fake....

Did make me smile though. Feel your pain. Did you refuse it, or ask for money back? Was the shop obliging?

The order has been a coc!-up from the beginning. I ordered two back in July (yes July) with a delivery date in Oct. You may know the date kept sliding, and in December I was on the verge of cancelling. The Bike shop Got conformation and a sincere promise of a Jan delivery, they didn't turn up.... so I cancelled. Bike shop gained another sincere promise the bikes would be with me in Feb and said I would get first refusal in the hope I'd change my mind. Got a call last week telling me only one of my order had turned up with another promise the other would be with me in a March, oh and there was a problem (as you have seen). They've get hold of a replacement for the misspelt one and are hanging on to it until the 'other' bike turns up, but at this moment I'm still of the opinion I don't want them....

The Bike shop has been great and I feel their pain but Whyte has been, up until now, atrocious. I was at a show in july when their staff were quoting Oct 23rd for delivery and this was repeated in the press, they denied this in my last conversation with them and ask where I got the date from? Whyte, just read your own press releases......
  • Sounds like an epic fail on the part of Whyte. I would personally keep the bike as they are good bikes, but definitely not buy from them again for incompetance on delivery!

I'd also be calling their customer service line and blowing the ear off the representative for pulling stunts like that!
  • Noclue
    Noclue Posts: 503
    I read a review for this bike in MBR (i think) and there opinion was that it "wasn't really suited to riding rough stuff", what 150mm travel and not suited to rough stuff, why?
  • Noclue wrote:
    I read a review for this bike in MBR (i think) and there opinion was that it "wasn't really suited to riding rough stuff", what 150mm travel and not suited to rough stuff, why?

It's widely accepted that unless it's a Specialized MBR think it's shoot. I read that 'review' after spending a day around Princetown testing her out. And that included several runs of the 1.5 mile long rock garden down to Burrator Reservoir.

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got his when he was promised. I've had nothing but excellent service from my LBS/Whyte/Mhyte/ATB. But someone somewhere does appear to have had an epic faliure with quality control here.
  • thisuldo
    edited March 2011
    It's widely accepted that unless it's a Specialized MBR think it's shoot.

I've got the review in front of me and TBH it's quite a positive article but at the end it says:

"the preproduction bike we rode didn't feel as capable of handling the big hits as some dedicated 150mm bikes. Then again at a hair under 25lbs, it could be argued rough stuff isn't really the focus of the bike. light, fast, stable and direct..... "
    MBR oct 2010.

I'm not sure what all this means, ok, with 146mm of travel it's not a dedicated 150mm, but what exactly are they saying here, focus of or dedicated to what?? Not handle the rough stuff, again what do they mean? Is the suspension not up to it, is it just too light and difficult to control when the going get rough, compression, rebound.....? it then goes on to claim the bikes fast, stable and direct, makes little sense . It strikes me it's either, the bike wasn't set up for the riders weight, the writer was unable to justify the claim or Herbie The Dog has a point.....

I guess I'm one of the lucky ones who got his when he was promised.

When did you order?
  • Northwind
    Northwind Posts: 14,675

Maybe that used to be the case but it's Orange they can't stop fellating these days. (to the extent of sabotaging an On One for a review by running it with forks too long for the frame then complaining it handled badly). Remember that last review of the Five? "The wheels are far too skinny and weak, and the brakes don't work at all. 10/10, bike of the year! Spurt spurt oh god I feel so dirty"

And of course the Strange Five with the revised geometry had the best geometry ever devised for a trailbike, until they decided not to use it, at which point the old geometry became the best geometry ever devised for a trail bike again.
    Uncompromising extremist
  • ilovedirt
    ilovedirt Posts: 5,798
    thisuldo wrote:

I've got the review in front of me and TBH it's quite a positive article but at the end it says:

"the preproduction bike we rode didn't feel as capable of handling the big hits as some dedicated 150mm bikes. Then again at a hair under 25kg, it could be argued rough stuff isn't really the focus of the bike. light, fast, stable and direct..... "
    MBR oct 2010.

I'm not sure what all this means, ok, with 146mm of travel it's not a dedicated 150mm, but what exactly are they saying here, focus of or dedicated to what?? Not handle the rough stuff, again what do they mean? Is the suspension not up to it, is it just too light and difficult to control when the going get rough, compression, rebound.....? it then goes on to claim the bikes fast, stable and direct, makes little sense . It strikes me it's either, the bike wasn't set up for the riders weight, the writer was unable to justify the claim or Herbie The Dog has a point.....
    I hope you meant 25lbs and not 25Kg!!!

Also, they probably meant that the bike wasn't built heavily enough for big hits etc and was more of an XC bike with more travel? I only buy MBR for the routes anyway, their reviews are shite.
    Production Privee Shan

B'Twin Triban 5
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I only buy MBR for the routes anyway

I know a way that you could save yourself a few quid.
  • thisuldo
    edited March 2011
    ilovedirt wrote:
    I hope you meant 25lbs and not 25Kg!!!

Oops typo, sorry... edited accordingly...

On another point WMB has just done an article on the 146 team (April copy). Makes a lot more sense than the MBR article, though it talks about frame twist and pedal referenced suspension (Is this a new term meaning bob??) but puts it down to preference rather than fault. It goes on to give the bike 4.5 starts and claims (paraphrased) confidence boosting descending, unbelievable grip and super fast climbing. It also suggests, as a result of the slack angles Talas is a good option (which makes a lot of sense too). On the whole its one of the few article where the mark and article correspond....
  • lawman
    lawman Posts: 6,868
    Northwind wrote:

Maybe that used to be the case but it's Orange they can't stop fellating these days. (to the extent of sabotaging an On One for a review by running it with forks too long for the frame then complaining it handled badly). Remember that last review of the Five? "The wheels are far too skinny and weak, and the brakes don't work at all. 10/10, bike of the year! Spurt spurt oh god I feel so dirty"

And of course the Strange Five with the revised geometry had the best geometry ever devised for a trailbike, until they decided not to use it, at which point the old geometry became the best geometry ever devised for a trail bike again.

MBR have completely lost the plot, their reviews are absolutely shocking these days, i mean control tyres?! you buy the bike with the freaking tyres it comes with, so put that in the test you half wits!!! the whole oh, a 680mm bar isnt wide enough we need atleast 900mm bars on this trail bike because otherwise it'll be shite, and it'd be great if you swapped the stem, bars, tyres, change the seat, and upgrade the crankset ... if you need to do all that its clearly a poorly specced bike so freaking so ...

the five review last year was the thing that put me off MBR most, the review gives the impression that the zesty was pretty much perfect, they even said the in house grips were spot on, and tbf if i bought an off the shelf bike i'd probably change the grips, but the zesty's are damn nice, then they went onto the orange with the whole, "oh its abit flexy, so it could use the opptional maxle swingarm to stiffen it up, and ohhh the fox fork isnt quite as good as the one on the lapierre with the FIT damper, and ohhhh noes the rims are wide enough for the stock maxxis tyres that we've swapped out for this test anyway..." the lot of 'em need a good slap and learn to write a propper review and get out orange's arsehole
  • Northwind
    This month they're triumphantly declaring that hardtails are back. :lol:
    Uncompromising extremist
  • bike-a-swan
    bike-a-swan Posts: 1,235
    Most of us think they never went away- it was that and the control tyres thing that really put me off. Fine, I like the idea of putting on control tyres for a bit of the testing to isolate other parts of the performance, or trying the bike with different kinds of tyres just to get an idea, but it should be only part of the review. I'd like to know how a bike I might buy could perform with a few tweaks, but I'd like to know how it'll perform when I get it home more!
    Rock Lobster 853, Trek 1200 and a very old, tired and loved Apollo Javelin.
  • Northwind
    I've no beef with the control tyres thing apart form that trailbike of the year test they did a couple of years ago when they slagged one bike for not working well with their choice of tyres :?
    Uncompromising extremist
  • JonKula
    JonKula Posts: 27
    They have to keep talking about trends, what's in, what's out, etc. to keep us reading ;) I only buy WMB and Singletrack magazine nowadays - the others are like comic books.

On the 146... I like mine. I wouldn't want to fit a TALAS to it - I can get it up to Leith Hill tower the hard way without any trouble and it absorbs big hits really well. The 150 RLC FIT fork is easy to adjust and just simply works ;) The pro-pedal Fox shock makes for easy pedalling with little or no bob most of the time. The included rockshox dropper post is awesome.

Meh! good bike - would recommend to a friend without hesitation.
    Kona Kula custom build hardtail
    Whyte 146 Works
    Pinarello FP2
    Kona AA 1x9 rigid