MTB to Road Bike help

bigwilly
bigwilly Posts: 23
edited March 2011 in Road beginners
Hello Bike Radar, This is my 1st post so please forgive me if i make a noobie mistake or have missed someting!

Anyway, I got into my biking start of jan this year and love it, Been upto Coed Llandegla twice and loved it and just reached the 120miles mark on my odometer! I have deceided to raise some money for a charity and i plan to ride from my house (knutsford,Cheshire) to Trearddur Bay, nr Holyhead on angelsy which is around 110 miles in one day and need your help. My bike is a unmodified Cannondale Trail SL4 Red.
http://www.royles.biz/product/7181/Cann ... 4_Red_2011

firstly what can i do to that bike to make it better for road?

In terms of my fitness, im 20 years old and not particulary fit. I rode 46.6 miles yesturday and averaged 13.7 mph and the last 10 miles where quite unenjoyable. I have little time to ride during the week however could ride to work (34miles one way) or ride to my mates i car share with (7 miles one way). I have been online a searched century training etc and there are 2/3 very different approaches so not sure which one is best.

Please can someone recommend me a training programme?

Thanks,
Will Brooks

Comments

• mattshrops
    mattshrops Posts: 1,134
    the best thing you can do is put some road tyres on to cut down rooling resistance.

Actually edit- the best thing you can do is beg or borrow a road bike for that distance.

Training programmes i cant really help with ive only just got to 50 miles myself :roll:
    Death or Glory- Just another Story
  • kingrollo
    kingrollo Posts: 3,198
    If your only 20 , already doing 40 miles, then 110 isn't really going to be a problem. just get some energy drinks, and sports bars, hydration and nutrition are important as you are going to be on the bike for 6 - 7 hours.

Now if you want to do it quick, then you would need a training program - if that isn't the issue get some slick tyres - and try and increase you big rides from 40 - 60 miles.

Doing 100 isn't really that hard - and thats coming from a 47 year old astmatic.......keep us updated with your progress.
  • paulbox
    paulbox Posts: 1,203
    The only thing you can do really is fit some slick tyres. If you want to spend a bit more then you might be able to do something with your gear ratios.

I would agree with the road bike begging thing though, I turned my old hardtail in to a commuter, last summer my 23 mile commute was taking me 1:40, on road bike I am under 1:20. Road bikes are much quicker... :wink:
    XC: Giant Anthem X
    Fun: Yeti SB66
    Road: Litespeed C1, Cannondale Supersix Evo, Cervelo R5
    Trainer: Bianchi via Nirone
    Hack: GT hardtail with Schwalbe City Jets
  • simon_e
    simon_e Posts: 1,706
    46 miles on a MTB? That's not bad going, no wonder you felt it!

First things first: buy a road bike. Don't waste money trying to improve the MTB, it is designed for offroading.

Specialized Allez, Giant Defy, Trek, Boardman and so on are all excellent, there's no such thing as a bad road bike these days. Visit a few bike shops and get a feel for what's out there, service is not uniformly good and some staff are full of sh*t. A bike that fits and feels good is better than one with higher spec but not as pleasant to ride. 10-speed isn't faster than 8 or 9. Get clip-in SPD pedals like Shimano M520 and SPD compatible shoes. Padded shorts are essential, good gloves/mitts and a showerproof shell will help. If you're short of cash use ebay, wait for Aldi's spring cycling offers (usually flagged up on here) or this forum's classifieds.

Any kind of riding will work as training. Build your distance until you can ride 3/4 of your target distance in one go without really suffering. Try to do a mix of distances and include a day or two off the bike each week to recover. Have a look at Bikeradar's training articles: http://www.bikeradar.com/fitness/

Any clubs in your area? Maybe join a weekend club run now and again.

It's very important to keep hydrated while riding - drink water or squash regularly during the ride and eat at intervals. Branded energy drinks and bars are expensive but Geobars or supermarket cereal/muesli bars, bananas, malt loaf, fig rolls and flapjacks all do the same job. I know some people train on Snickers, croissants or whatever's to hand. Don't believe the hype. Geobar 6 packs are currently 2 for £2.50 at Sainsbury's, that's 20p per bar :-)

Always carry a basic toolkit: inner tube(s), pump, tyre levers, puncture kit and multitool.

Finally, plan your route. You can't (and won't want to) ride on the A55. From Chester you could use Sustrans' NCN Route 5 or perhaps the old coast road. The A5 is busy, though if you pick a quiet time for the first part it thins out towards Snowdonia. On Anglesey I would use the A5, which is much quieter now the expressway crosses the island alongside it.

Most importantly, have fun!
    Aspire not to have more, but to be more.