Elixir R, a worthy upgrade?

DoodleUK
DoodleUK Posts: 48
edited March 2011 in MTB buying advice
I currently use Shimano M575 disc brakes but thinking about upgrading to these on CRC: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Mode ... elID=29728

Not really had any problems with the Shimanos in months of use but want to try the Elixirs for abit more power. They have the front 185mm disc option for less than £70 but ive got a £10 voucher so i could get just the front set for now for about £60, is this a worthy upgrade/are they decent for this price?

Thanks.

Comments

• You could save money & get more power just buying a bigger rotor & mounting adapter for your current brakes.

I've never used either of the ones you mentioned so couldn't comment on which are the better set.
    Statistically, Six Out Of Seven Dwarves Aren't Happy
  • well the elixers are very good but i think that you should probs just get bigger rotors
  • kenan
    kenan Posts: 952
    I was looking at a set of those as wel so will be interested to see the responce you get.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    I had elixir r's on my last bike and thought they were crap tbh, even worse than Hope.

Couldn't stop the rear from rubbing, got them bled at 1st service & also did it myself but no help.

XT's on new bike feel light years better, no rub but much better stopping power.
    Guinness for strength
  • joejoe
    joejoe Posts: 130
    I've used elixir cr brakes for about 2 years and they've been great - never any rubbing or lack of power issues. I have used juicy 5s and deores in the past and the crs are much better in terms of feel and power.
  • welshkev
    welshkev Posts: 9,690
    Zziplex wrote:
    I had elixir r's on my last bike and thought they were crap tbh, even worse than Hope.

Couldn't stop the rear from rubbing, got them bled at 1st service & also did it myself but no help.

XT's on new bike feel light years better, no rub but much better stopping power.

maybe you just had a bad set, i've had elixr 5's on my bike for about 2 months and i think they're great :D
  • Bar Shaker
    Bar Shaker Posts: 2,313
    I also think Elixir R are great. They have huge power but are very easy to control, very analogue in the braking power application. Once the pads are bedded in, you will be amazed at the stopping power. They also bleed up nicely, giving a very solid lever.

Centring is easy. Loosen the mounting bolts, get a friend to pull the lever, tighten the bolts.
    Boardman Elite SLR 9.2S
    Boardman FS Pro
  • Stoo61
    Stoo61 Posts: 1,394
    My Elixir Rs have gone for over two years, a couple of services, very happy with them.
  • Zziplex
    Zziplex Posts: 190
    welshkev wrote:
    Zziplex wrote:

maybe you just had a bad set, i've had elixr 5's on my bike for about 2 months and i think they're great :D

Yeah maybe, can only comment on my own experience.
    Guinness for strength
  • I have just upgraded to Skeletons with 180mm front and rear, great design and you get more for your money, believe me.

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/category/ ... e-10-39583

CHECK the review

Another neat touch on these budget binders is, in addition to the standard lever-reach adjustment, the integrated bite-point adjustment feature. This allows you to decide how much lever throw will occur before the pads make initial contact with the rotor, and is a feature normally only found on brakes costing twice as much as the Skeletal.
    Peds with ipods, natures little speed humps

Banish unwanted fur - immac a squirrel
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... heads.html
  • Looked at these when I was looking at building my frame up and got scared off by the tales of warranty returns and general unreliability. Went with Hope instead and they've been superb.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • DoodleUK
    Went for a set of these in the end but they arrived today and i now regret it. Firstly they do not match the item picture/description and are a different colour to the ones listed on the website but secondly i expected these to be "OEM" but didnt expect them to look used/damaged. There are scuffs in the paint of the lever and caliper and the rotor and bolts supplied look like they have already been fitted before :shock:
    Nice one CRC.
  • ride_whenever
    ride_whenever Posts: 13,279
    The build quality of the skeletals is atrocious, everything rusts, they rub constantly and I don't like the lever feel.
  • DoodleUK
    The build quality of the skeletals is atrocious, everything rusts, they rub constantly and I don't like the lever feel.
    I don't think i will be going for these instead, although they are cheap they dont look like they will last 2 minutes. Looks like i will stick with what ive got at the moment as i dont fancy trying another set from CRC :x