Do all 104 BCD chain rings fit?

Matt 24k
Matt 24k Posts: 186
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I am helping out a friend who wants to spend as little as possible to get his bike sorted. I have finally worked out that his gear slip problems are down to a bent middle ring on a Truvativ square taper chainset. I did this by process of elimination swapping various bits from my own bikes. I understand that the Truvativ has a 104BCD but all the Truvativ 32t middle rings I can find are 24 quid plus. I can find a Shimano Deore ring with the same BCD for half that. Will it fit?

Comments

• Yes, but you may need to do a little filing of the tabs to let it sit correctly on the spider.
    Northwind wrote: It's like I covered it in superglue and rode it through ebay.
  • Jesus, i've never heard someone complain of 24£ for a chain ring. I understand wanting to save money part but that's still cheap.
  • bails87
    bails87 Posts: 12,998
    I've got a deore middle ring on my truvativ chain set. Had to do a bit of filing, but it fits fine now
    MTB/CX

"As I said last time, it won't happen again."
  • Matt 24k
    Matt 24k Posts: 186
    Mountain Monster, you are right about 24 quid being cheap and if it was up to me I would replace the whole lot with an SLX chainset with bash ring and an HT2 BB.
    However the square taper BB is 1 week old and I just want to get my buddy out again for as little as poss. He can then stop drinking for a month and save his beer money for a decent set up.
    Boris and bails87 thanks for the advice. Exactly what I needed to know and now I can try and knock the existing one straight in the knowledge that if it all goes wrong, I can get out of trouble for 4 pints of beer!