Rotor rings

CarbonCopy
CarbonCopy Posts: 492
edited May 2011 in Road buying advice
Are Rotor rings really that good or is it all hype i do remember shimano doing some sort of biospace ring or something with similar properties they did rate to well.Sohowabout Rotor then?.

Comments

• mrdsgs
    mrdsgs Posts: 337
    edited February 2011
    I swear by them ! I use 53/39 on one shimano equipped bike and 53/40 on a campag 135 bcd chainset. At the "biggest" the 53 becomes almost 56 equivalent, at the smallest, its a 51. In reality it actually makes it easier to pedal full circles. Your front mech will need to be raised a bit to allow for the "56" bit.

they take very little to get used to.

I also have a brand new and boxed rotor agilis version 2 crankset for sale, 130bcd 170 mm cranks.
    Colnago Addict!
  • hopper1
    hopper1 Posts: 4,389
    I'm running a 54/42 on my TT bike. I have no critisisms of the system, but still not sure of any obvious advantages, either...
    The Shimano Bio Pace did use eliptical rings, but they were set permanently in a position, very different to the Rotor Q's. The Shimano position put a lot of pressure on your knees, hence it didn't last...
    Start with a budget, finish with a mortgage!
  • Now looking for the cheapest place to buy some??
  • Agree with Hopper, no disadvantages...but can't see any advantages really either.
    "That's it! You people have stood in my way long enough. I'm going to clown college! " - Homer
  • mrdsgs
    Velotech are the main supplier, special offer on silver 46 and 48 outer rings (New old stock). Expect to pay about £175 for an aero outer and an inner such as 53/39 if 130 bcd, closer to £155 for non aero and 110bcd such as 50/36. A bit cheaper if you buy with a Rotor chainset as well, Agilis, 3D or 3D+.

Specialized Concept Store, Stafford can get you anything from Rotor.
    Colnago Addict!
  • MMM aero or non aero.These things cost almost as much as my Sram Red chainset :shock:

Thanks Mrdsgs and all others for comments
  • hopper1
    CarbonCopy wrote:
    MMM aero or non aero.These things cost almost as much as my Sram Red chainset :shock:

Thanks Mrdsgs and all others for comments

My SRAM Red rings on the standard chainset haven't seen the light of day...
    Best place to look, or ask is on the TTF forum, regularly see them advertised on there. :wink:
  • Pokerface
    Pokerface Posts: 7,960
    I have 3 sets of them. Road bike, TT bike and even on my track bike (although that ring was the hardest to find).

You can look on eBay for the odd deal, but expect to pay close to retail for them.

The 'aero' rings don't provide any real benefit, but look much cooler.

As for how good they are - it all depends on your particular riding style and how you set up the rings. I use a more advanced position on them (there are up to 5 to chose from) and I have found that I can get up to 50w extra in my peak 1s power with them. I also get extra wattage over the long run also.

I have a set of round rings on my winter bike, but have been swapping back and forth to my race bike with Rotor rings over the winter as I go to sunnier climates - and can see the difference in power numbers immediately.

But the rings suit my pedal stroke and help me iron out a giant dead spot.

I don't know anyone personally how hasn't like them but there are people out there that do.

More and more Pro teams are using them - and while the riders on the teams are given the rings, they don't HAVE to use them if they don't want to. I believe more riders chose to use them than not.
  • Pokerface wrote:
    I have 3 sets of them. Road bike, TT bike and even on my track bike (although that ring was the hardest to find).

You can look on eBay for the odd deal, but expect to pay close to retail for them.

The 'aero' rings don't provide any real benefit, but look much cooler.

As for how good they are - it all depends on your particular riding style and how you set up the rings. I use a more advanced position on them (there are up to 5 to chose from) and I have found that I can get up to 50w extra in my peak 1s power with them. I also get extra wattage over the long run also.

I have a set of round rings on my winter bike, but have been swapping back and forth to my race bike with Rotor rings over the winter as I go to sunnier climates - and can see the difference in power numbers immediately.

But the rings suit my pedal stroke and help me iron out a giant dead spot.

I don't know anyone personally how hasn't like them but there are people out there that do.

More and more Pro teams are using them - and while the riders on the teams are given the rings, they don't HAVE to use them if they don't want to. I believe more riders chose to use them than not.

Just out of interest what setting do you have yours on? I've just done 4 weeks on setting 3 on my winter bike and was going to start experimenting soon with the different settings. And are your road and TT bikes on different settings?
    Expertly coached by http://www.vitessecyclecoaching.co.uk/

http://vineristi.wordpress.com - the blog for Viner owners and lovers!
  • hopper1
    I have mine on No.4 but that's for TTing.
    I think the various settings depend on your cadence.
  • gbr236
    gbr236 Posts: 393
    Is it possible to get campag compact in 34/50?
    Would like a set to try this summer but cannot find the right ring combination.
    Thanks
  • mrdsgs
    nearly, 50/36, 110/113bcd BUT, they do not fit record ultra torque compact apparently
    http://www.velotechservices.co.uk/shop/ ... 7407002138
    Colnago Addict!
  • Pokerface

Just out of interest what setting do you have yours on? I've just done 4 weeks on setting 3 on my winter bike and was going to start experimenting soon with the different settings. And are your road and TT bikes on different settings?

I'm using setting 2. Just helps me spin faster than setting 3. I think I tried 5 once and it was just like pushing a massive gear - but would be great for out of saddle sprints.

I have them on the same setting on the TT bike - but only because I just transfered the set I had on my road bike over (and got a new set for my road bike).

My track bike is using setting 4 at the moment (but the track ring is a much smaller oval so it's not as noticeable).
  • Pokerface wrote:

I'm using setting 2. Just helps me spin faster than setting 3. I think I tried 5 once and it was just like pushing a massive gear - but would be great for out of saddle sprints.

I have them on the same setting on the TT bike - but only because I just transfered the set I had on my road bike over (and got a new set for my road bike).

My track bike is using setting 4 at the moment (but the track ring is a much smaller oval so it's not as noticeable).

Thanks for that. I'm not really a 'spinner' so might try the rings on setting 4. I'll definately set my TT bike up on 4 (which is the default anyway I think)

• mrdsgs
    default is 3
    Colnago Addict!
  • mrdsgs wrote:
    default is 3

For TT bikes Rotor advise 4

• Pokerface
    mrdsgs wrote:
    default is 3

For TT bikes Rotor advise 4

Might explain why setting 4 feels better for pursuiting than setting 2 did. Setting 4 seems to put the power lower down in the pedal stroke.
  • SirUlrich
    SirUlrich Posts: 29
    I've had mine (50/36) on the bike since the start of january and I really like them. Climbing hills just seems smoother some how, although i'm not sure if its measurably faster. Also, i'll add that i've have no deterioration in shifting (although how much worse could standard sora shifters and front mech actually get :roll: )

The only thing I have found is that the compact rings only have the option of positions 1,3,5 Seeing as i'd like to try postion 4 for the outer ring, will I have to wait untill I put some double rings on the summer bike, or is position 5 on the smaller rings similar?
  • hopper1
    SirUlrich wrote:
    I've had mine (50/36) on the bike since the start of january and I really like them. Climbing hills just seems smoother some how, although i'm not sure if its measurably faster. Also, i'll add that i've have no deterioration in shifting (although how much worse could standard sora shifters and front mech actually get :roll: )

The only thing I have found is that the compact rings only have the option of positions 1,3,5 Seeing as i'd like to try postion 4 for the outer ring, will I have to wait untill I put some double rings on the summer bike, or is position 5 on the smaller rings similar?

Are you sre?... Position 2 &4 should be on the opposite side to 1,3 & 5...
  • spanielsson
    spanielsson Posts: 776
    I've been using them since the end of January, nearly 1000 miles later and I'm a convert. During the first week when turning the pedals over at 300w's + it felt like riding on the track!

I've always suffered pain in my right knee if I've not been able to spin at 95 rpm or more when climbing, all of that has now gone. As for power output, I can't comment because month on month I'm becoming stronger anyway. I still have Rotor RIngs set to position 3.

One thing I had read on Weight Weenies (really not to be taken as gospel) is the 38t compact has more of an oval shape than the 39t standard, this could help when climbing possibly?
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    I think I'm going to try these now, but wanted to ask a few questions.

They will be going on a 105 double chainset. Currently have 52/39.

Given that the effective size changes, does this alter the ratio's you want? Does a 39 feel like a 39? I wouldnt any less gearing for climbing.

Same for the big ring I suppose, I'm thinking about going for the 53 to have a bit more poke on decents for TTs, but how will that compare to my 52?

I'm much more of a grinder than a spinner.
  • The Rotor rings are brilliant.
    I can't say they make you faster in the direct sense, but I'm able to keep the power on for longer, and am fresher towards the end of the race, meaning my times are better.
    I use them on a TT bike, and although they suggest 4 as a starting point for TT, I actually found 3 to be more comfortable. One of the nice things about the rings is that you're able to tweak and adjust a bit to get exactly the feel you're looking for.
    No, you're not going to put them on, and an hour later knock 2 mins off your PB, but if you follow the suggested time to get used to them, and acclimate your legs to the different muscle usage, you'll soon see very solid results.

Oh, and did I mention that I liked mine enough to then turn around and get the Rotor cranks to go with? Really nice setup BTW..

DSCF4807-6x4.JPG
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org

Cycle related blog entries, including a few 5 minute reviews:
    http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinterne ... y/cycling/
  • chrisbonnie
    chrisbonnie Posts: 55
    just to give another "thumbs up" to Q Rings

i got them for christmas, unluckily for me, im in Ireland, and finding a mechanic that had fitted them was a non starter, but after a few attempts, i finally found a decent guy to tune them correctly.

i am only beginning to race (hopefully race fit in the next 4 weeks), so i am by no means a neo pro or anything.

i am personally convinced they help me climbing, and as someone else said earlier, they do help you keep the power down for alot longer, i seem to be able to lay alot more power down, and for longer periods of time since i got them Q Rings

i bought them from a place called http://www.echelon-cycles.co.uk/index.html, dont be put off by their mickey mouse website, all the lads run Q Rings on their bikes, and they know their stuff, i rang around all the shops in England, the list was endless, but these guys seemed to have their heads screwed on ,and they couldnt have been any nice to deal with.

good luck with them