chain checker

coopsman1
coopsman1 Posts: 337
edited February 2011 in MTB workshop & tech
I want to make sure I have got this right.

I have a chain checker with .75% on one side and 1% on the other.

I am right in saying that because the chain checker inserts fully between the links on the .75% and does NOT fit on the 1% it is time to change the chain.

Comments

• Coopsman1,

I would say that it is the opposite. If you can fit the tool between the links on the .75% side (i.e. three quarters of one percent stretched), then you have a chain which a just a tad more than .75% stretched. The fact that you cannot yet fit the tool in between the links on the 1% stretch side, suggests that your chain is not yet at the 1% stretched state. You should replace your chain when it reaches the 1% stretched state.

Hope this helps!

S.
    Simon G
  • I was under the impression that if the chain stretches more than 1% chances are the cassette will need to be replaced.
  • Yes, as I thought, your chain is worn beyond .75% stretched, but is not yet at the 1% stretched state.

I ride MTB and Road bikes, so I keep an eye on the chains for both types of bike. My experience so far has been that a road bike's chain reaches the 1% stretched state comparatively slower than a MTB, so I tend to catch my road bike chain and replace it with 1% stretch without any need to look at chainrings or the cassette. With the MTB however, I find that the 1% stretched state is so quickly attained, then exceeded, that I tend to have to replace the cassette when I replace the chain. The motto here, is to keep a really close eye on that MTB chain and replace it when it is bang on 1% stretched, 'cause it's likely that just a few mucky rides later, you'll be at the point of no return (i.e. way beyond 1% stretched) and you will also have to do the cassette.

Simon.
    Simon G
  • that seems very exstreame, i would imagine the chain to last at least a few months to be honest, and having to replace a cassette so many times seems a wastefull exspence.

most chains i hear in MTB dont last more than 1 month if you use the 1% guide, which is crazy, i sure most people have more than 1% and still ride with no bad issues
    London2Brighton Challange 100k!
    http://www.justgiving.com/broxbourne-runners
  • that seems very exstreame, i would imagine the chain to last at least a few months to be honest, and having to replace a cassette so many times seems a wastefull exspence.

most chains i hear in MTB dont last more than 1 month if you use the 1% guide, which is crazy, i sure most people have more than 1% and still ride with no bad issues
    1 month, 3 month - time do not srtetch chain, km do. Chain lasts ca 1000 - 1500
    km on mtb before start eating cassette.
  • I agree with the other posters here who say that the 1% stretch state comes around all too quickly on the MTB. So perhaps I should describe plan B!

Plan B: Ride the MTB for as long as possible until the chain feels like a complete bag of sh1t, then (measure it for a laugh - it'll be waaaay over the 1% mark). Then replace ONLY the chain, but wear a cricket box for your first 6 rides (to protect the family jewels when the inevitable slippage happens on the cassette). By the time the chain wears in against the cassette (and you can finally remove the cricket box), the chain will already be fuc4ed and you will almost be ready to consider starting the whole process again!

(All joking aside, this is how i've been operating over the winter on the MTB [minus the cricket box of course], but I have to say, the whole drivetrain feels like a bag of sh1t for 70% of the time :wink: )

MTB bike chains wear out real quick - period! I guess you've just gotta find the level of expense that suits you. If you're racing or you love climbing and you're into that whole 'efficient, well maintained, lightweight deal' then start stockpiling the chains. If not, then ride it 'til the chainsuck hits hard and then wash it with the contents of your water bottle, re-lube, then ride it some more!

Simon
    Simon G